• Last Reply

First up on the Classics calendar:

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

Date:
Saturday 28th February.

Total distance
±200 km.

Defending champ
Ian Stannard (Sky). He beat Greg Van Avermaet in the final sprint - pic below.

Brief summary:
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (previously known as Omloop Het Volk) is a Flanders Classics single day cycle race held in the Belgian province of East Flanders. The Omloop, with the start and finish in Ghent, uses many of the climbs in the Tour of Flanders, and is for that reason often used in preparation for the bigger event.

Key climbs on the route: 
1. Oud Kruisberg
2. Taaienberg (the 'Boonenberg')
3. Eikenberg
4. Wolvenberg
5. Molenberg (the final climb 39 km from the finish)

Our MTN-Qhubeka boys will be at the start line, with a real chance of making something happen so early in the season.

post-22004-0-82554200-1423663016_thumb.jpg

Wow, forgot how awesome the classics are! Anyone got a place to buy online streaming for a month?

usually have a go via steep hill.tv and you can usually find Sean Kelly mumbling away as guys bury themselves in mud and grime! ;)

SuperSport goes international to support MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung

Ahead of arguably the most important season in the history of South African cycling, SuperSport has secured the rights to a number of international tours and classics, many of which will feature our very own Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung.

The team will be using a number of these events to fine-tune its preparation for its debut – the first by a SA team - in the biggest race of them all, the Tour de France.

These include Paris-Roubaix, the one-day race famous for how tough it is, thanks to its rough terrain, much of it on cobblestones.

This is followed by La Flèche Wallonne, the Belgian cycling classic, which the team is hopeful of competing in.

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung will also contest the Tour of California, which will feature on SuperSport, and, a month later, the Criterium du Dauphine, renowned for its massive climbs on a parcours often similar to roads used in the Tour de France.

Team Principal, Douglas Ryders, was delighted that South Africans would be able to watch the team go through its paces ahead of the Tour de France.

“SuperSport does an amazing job in building sports in South Africa and across Africa through the exposure and hours of broadcast they dedicate on their channels. Cycling has benefited significantly which has helped grow the sport across the African continent."

“More importantly, Team MTN-Qhubeka powered by Samsung is able to connect with its roots and fans in South Africa while the team is racing abroad. The amount of events that SuperSport has acquired rights for in support of the team’s race programme is incredible and has helped motivate our riders to greater achievements knowing that their performances will be seen back home. The Tour de France invitation this year is the biggest motivator of them all.”

Indeed, Brandon Foot, Acting CEO of SuperSport, said that the SA team’s participation had proved integral to the acquisitions.

“Cycling is enjoying unprecedented growth both in South Africa and across the continent. With a number of riders from both SA and the continent on this team, it is an opportunity to showcase our cycling excellence. SuperSport is only too happy to go along for the ride, so to say.”

International Cycling Broadcast Details

Tour of Andalucia: Wednesday to Sunday (SS7 – check listings for times).

Paris-Nice: March 8-15 (SS6 - check listings for times).

Paris-Raubaix: April 12 (SS6, 1pm).

La Flèche Wallonne: April 22 (SS6, 3-5pm).

Liege-Bastogne-Liege: April 26 (SS6, 2.15-5pm).

Tour of California: May 10-16 (SS6, 11pm); stage 8 (SS6, 6pm).

Giro d’Italia: May 9-31 (check listings for times and channels).

Criterium Du Dauphine: June 8-15 (check listings for times and channels).

Tour de France: Team prologue and race presentation, followed by first stage, July 1-26 (SS6, check listings for times).

NOw if only they would broadcast SS6 on the Walka :whistling:

SuperSport goes international to support MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung

Ahead of arguably the most important season in the history of South African cycling, SuperSport has secured the rights to a number of international tours and classics, many of which will feature our very own Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung.

The team will be using a number of these events to fine-tune its preparation for its debut – the first by a SA team - in the biggest race of them all, the Tour de France.

These include Paris-Roubaix, the one-day race famous for how tough it is, thanks to its rough terrain, much of it on cobblestones.

This is followed by La Flèche Wallonne, the Belgian cycling classic, which the team is hopeful of competing in.

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung will also contest the Tour of California, which will feature on SuperSport, and, a month later, the Criterium du Dauphine, renowned for its massive climbs on a parcours often similar to roads used in the Tour de France.

Team Principal, Douglas Ryders, was delighted that South Africans would be able to watch the team go through its paces ahead of the Tour de France.

“SuperSport does an amazing job in building sports in South Africa and across Africa through the exposure and hours of broadcast they dedicate on their channels. Cycling has benefited significantly which has helped grow the sport across the African continent."

“More importantly, Team MTN-Qhubeka powered by Samsung is able to connect with its roots and fans in South Africa while the team is racing abroad. The amount of events that SuperSport has acquired rights for in support of the team’s race programme is incredible and has helped motivate our riders to greater achievements knowing that their performances will be seen back home. The Tour de France invitation this year is the biggest motivator of them all.”

Indeed, Brandon Foot, Acting CEO of SuperSport, said that the SA team’s participation had proved integral to the acquisitions.

“Cycling is enjoying unprecedented growth both in South Africa and across the continent. With a number of riders from both SA and the continent on this team, it is an opportunity to showcase our cycling excellence. SuperSport is only too happy to go along for the ride, so to say.”

International Cycling Broadcast Details

Tour of Andalucia: Wednesday to Sunday (SS7 – check listings for times).

Paris-Nice: March 8-15 (SS6 - check listings for times).

Paris-Raubaix: April 12 (SS6, 1pm).

La Flèche Wallonne: April 22 (SS6, 3-5pm).

Liege-Bastogne-Liege: April 26 (SS6, 2.15-5pm).

Tour of California: May 10-16 (SS6, 11pm); stage 8 (SS6, 6pm).

Giro d’Italia: May 9-31 (check listings for times and channels).

Criterium Du Dauphine: June 8-15 (check listings for times and channels).

Tour de France: Team prologue and race presentation, followed by first stage, July 1-26 (SS6, check listings for times).

NOw if only they would broadcast SS6 on the Walka :whistling:

Super Stoked.

I hope the Giro cover is Live though.

Super Stoked.

I hope the Giro cover is Live though.

Much of it was last year if I recall (final 2 hrs of each stage, with at least 4hrs on the big mountain stages being held on the weekends).

Much of it was last year if I recall (final 2 hrs of each stage, with at least 4hrs on the big mountain stages being held on the weekends).

Yeah I remember now :whistling:  was thinking prior.

E3 Harelbeke advert causes controversy

(From Cycling Weekly UK)

The organiser of the E3 Harelbeke classic has courted controversy with its advertisement for the 2015 race, which attempts to poke fun at Peter Sagan’s podium antics from the 2013 editon of that race and at the Tour of Flanders in the same year.

Now, the organiser has decided to use the controversial moments as an advertising strategy, but was met by a barage of criticism when the image was posted on social media on Monday morning, being described as ‘misogynistic’ and ‘demeaning’.

Read more at Cycling Weekly UK (link above).

post-22004-0-77963600-1424757005_thumb.png

post-22004-0-47773600-1424757027_thumb.png

Up this weekend is Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. Any predictions? 

Full start list here: http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Omloop_Het_nieuwsblad_Elite_2015-startlist

Mens

- 200.2km

- Last Years Winner: Ian Stannard

Womens

- 122kms

- Last Years Winner: Amy Pieters

And this is what the guys have in store: 

http://www.pelotonwatch.com/images/profiles/2015/2015-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-profile.jpg

Wishlist- Gilbert - Sagan - Boonen

Prediction: Degenkolb - Boasen Hagen - Gilbert

Degenkolb looking in fine form at the moment, so firm favourite I would say.

My top 3: (Because 5 is waaayyy to difficult)

Degenkolb

Boonen

EBH

Huez, do you think MTN are going to ride for Ciolek?

I didn't see Tinkoff on that start list. Also I don't see Degenkolb on the team list for Giant.

Or am I blind?

I didn't see Tinkoff on that start list. Also I don't see Degenkolb on the team list for Giant.

Or am I blind?

I definitely didn't see Tinkoff'

Surely they'll be there

Archived