Dog Bite

SCD

A sneaky Schnauzer bit me in the leg this morning on Table Mountain. I was climbing slowly, and he nipped me after trotting by my side rather casually. Small puncture, some blood, didn't make it a big deal since the owner lady was very apologetic.

Now since I am not a dog person I didn't ask any questions with regards to vaccination status of the dog. The worries came to my mind only later today.

Reading the various info that Google offered on a search I should see a GP tomorrow to run a Rabies prevention course.

Any advise?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was attacked by two ridgebacks on my way home after a ride a few years ago.

The wounds were completely treatable at home but a visit to the doc was advised.

As memtioned above, better safe than sorry.

A sneaky Schnauzer bit me in the leg this morning on Table Mountain. I was climbing slowly, and he nipped me after trotting by my side rather casually. Small puncture, some blood, didn't make it a big deal since the owner lady was very apologetic.

Now since I am not a dog person I didn't ask any questions with regards to vaccination status of the dog. The worries came to my mind only later today.

Reading the various info that Google offered on a search I should see a GP tomorrow to run a Rabies prevention course.

Any advise?

doctor for you - dogs teeth have all sorts of nasties on them!

Boerboel left its marks in my leg about a year ago.  Farm dog.  The attending doctor at Trauma suggested Rabies but the Surgeon not.  They went ahead anyway.  The rabies injections are not fun and very expensive.  

Watch for infection as the results of that can be just as bad.  

Boerboel left its marks in my leg about a year ago.  Farm dog.  The attending doctor at Trauma suggested Rabies but the Surgeon not.  They went ahead anyway.  The rabies injections are not fun and very expensive.  

Watch for infection as the results of that can be just as bad.  

not this, by the time the effects show, you going to go through hell, 1 jab and its over, google is your friend if you see whaTs coming(if there is infection) you will RUN to the dr for the jab

sorry smurf you are right they are sore, but rather Safe than VERY SORRY

Agreed..

The owners of the dog admitted that they had not immunized the dog.  They then decided to go ahead.  I was lucky though, they did the worst of it in theater while I was under.  I had to wait 3 days for the infection to die down first though.  

Was just horrible.

Bitten by a stray dog on the beach years ago. There were 2 and they attacked our puppy - we were just kids.

Off to the doc for stitches - as it was badly torn - hung off my arm as I lifted the pup- and a tetanus shot. The doc considered rabies but the cops caught the dogs and could see that they were "owned" and well looked (snort) after - wasn't unusual for dogs to run on Melkbos beach alone then. So opted not for a rabies jab.

You can perhaps go back to TM at the same time tomorrow and see if you can meet up with her again to ask but going on assumptions here ( yes the mother of all.....) walking on TM - indicates she lives close by so in a good area, own a schnauzer - pure bred expensive dogs - I imagine the shots shout be up to date.

Personally if the dog is roaming off lead I would be more worried about infection from eating all sorts of icky stuff on the route...

Worst case ever my Aunt got Hep C from her dog eating and rolling in infected vagrant poo and it probably passed over to her when she had to bath the dog.....

I highly doubt that a well kept Schnauzer has rabies. 

If you do decide to rather be safe than sorry, I recently went through the rabies injection routine, due to my dogs engaging with a Jackal in the woods... The injections are not too bad and are not stomach based as I was originally told by various people (shots in arm). 5 x injections at regular intervals at just under R500 per shot. 

If you decide to do it you need to get going ASAP after the bite.

Apparently you can get it done for free at government clinics, but that obviously depends how much time you have to wait your turn.

Also, you can buy the whole course and just administer the injection yourself (saves a lot of time!).

I highly doubt that a well kept Schnauzer has rabies. 

I don`t think a visit to the doctor is necessary for a little bite of a house dog like a Schnauzer . Bethadine should be applied and then it will be fine.

Archived