Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

PPA and Cycle TourTust own the Cycle Tour. Rotary club organises the vent under the auspices of the PPA so for all intents it is a PPA affiliate event run under the guidance of the PPA which is what the ruling overs. PPA does not own any events

Small correction - Cycle Tour Trust owns the event, correct, but the trust is made up of the Rotary Club of Claremont, and the PPA, equal partners.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small correction - Cycle Tour Trust owns the event, correct, but the trust is made up of the Rotary Club of Claremont, and the PPA, equal partners.

He lives!

Welcome back, Tim

Edited by El Capitan

I have had a reply from CSA on this matter. If you are a licensed rider and ride with the seeded groups or if you are a licensed rider and riding as a fun rider you will face sanctioning as per UCI penalties. 1 month ban or a monetary penalty or possibly a combination of both.

CSA has informed me that they are currently in negotiations with the UCI around the above. They expect an answer today.

I read someones comment earlier that the PPA/CTCT refuse to sanction the event as it would make a mockery of the court ruling. This is ridiculous as we the cyclists are suffering just because these bodies who are empowered through all of our contributions cannot reach compromises to satisfy their paid up members.

I feel that all paid up cyclists are in some form or other shareholders of a bigger picture and that we as shareholders are losing huge value.

The management of these concerns should take cognizance of this fact.

Maybe Helen Zille should get involved as I am sure the debacle is not good for the Cape Town Brand.

Thank you, gypsy. I assume you have email proof and not just verbal. This whole thing is just crazy, almost like a bad dream. I hope we can all learn from this in how to try and manage and organise, not just cycling, but anything.

Thank you, gypsy. I assume you have email proof and not just verbal. This whole thing is just crazy, almost like a bad dream. I hope we can all learn from this in how to try and manage and organise, not just cycling, but anything.

I do have it in writing and until the mess is sorted I suggest all licensed riders tread(pedal) carefully

Csa thinks they have won this one.I won't trust csa based on the involvement of a couple of people who represent them. Dodgy track records like most government departments

Here's the thought to those wanting to partake in the event,and are CSA members..ride the race,stuff CSA and UCI and take the one month ban on the chin.Train well during that month and then jump back into all the events like normal.

CSA have implemented bullying tactics due to the lack of any financial benefit to them from this event.

GO RIDE BOYS.

Here's the thought to those wanting to partake in the event,and are CSA members..ride the race,stuff CSA and UCI and take the one month ban on the chin.Train well during that month and then jump back into all the events like normal.

CSA have implemented bullying tactics due to the lack of any financial benefit to them from this event.

GO RIDE BOYS.

Except that I want to go ride the Epic maybe.

And even if I did not, there would be (99-100% certainty) a lekker swiss franc fine awaiting you.  R1 000 lying around that you don't know what to do with?

Not me.

I need my federation to sort this out and not bicker about money.

Except that I want to go ride the Epic maybe.

And even if I did not, there would be (99-100% certainty) a lekker swiss franc fine awaiting you.  R1 000 lying around that you don't know what to do with?

Not me.

I need my federation to sort this out and not bicker about money.

Sure but with some of the individuals in CSA who can't see past their noses it ain't gonna happen. Only way to works is for the licensed riders to stage their own protest and go ride the CTCT.

Do you really want to be owned by CSA.

your choice

I doubt them enforcing the UCI ruling is in line with South African law anyways since it removes your freedom of choice which would be unconstitutional. Would be great to get a legal view on this since the court already ruled in favour of PPA wrt to this matter from an organisational perspective

Edited by GoLefty!!

Sure but with some of the individuals in CSA who can't see past their noses it ain't gonna happen. Only way to works is for the licensed riders to stage their own protest and go ride the CTCT.

Do you really want to be owned by CSA.

your choice

I doubt them enforcing the UCI ruling is in line with South African law anyways since it removes your freedom of choice which would be unconstitutional. Would be great to get a legal view on this since the court already ruled in favour of PPA wrt to this matter from an organisational perspective

Your free to take drug also in cycling but if WADA / UCI / CSA find you positive you will face a ban. Some of these drug which will give you this 2 year ban you can find at your local Supermarket not even the drug store.

The UCI have rules - you cannot pick and choose which ones work for you - if you a member of their rules though CSA and you break their rules then face the consequences as set out in their rules!

The leadership of PPA and CSA are not handling this in the best interest of their members and hopefully somebody will open their eyes and see the light and that is the people they should be serving are just been used as pawns.

Something I have just posted of Facebook in another thread: "PPA won the battle but now are possibly loosing the war. They took CSA to court and won (it was an important issue to win) but now PPA is been pig headed and not looking out for the sport and quite a few of it's members. They digging their heels in over R6.00 per rider and thus probably killing a part of the goose that lays the golden egg for them i.e. the Cape Town Cycle tour.”

As a number of people have pointed out a lot of small sanctioned event with a lower entry quite happily pay the R6.00 per rider. Cycle tour trust / PPA want their own set of rules, but certain of it participants (which raise the status of the event) and its members are also governed by other rules - which PPA can subcribe to by having their events sanctioned. As I have have compared this to TAX - I as a Tax payer don’t feel I get good value for money from the government of the day - but I have yet to go on strike and not pay TAX!!!! I wonder if The Cycle Tour trust even pay VAT on their entries all do they feel they are that powerful?

CSA report to the UCI -(the world governing body for cycling) and SASCOC - CSA is basically the governments department for cycling in RSA - and they want their TAX like all government departments get! We as citizens of the country tend to pay it and regard it as a necessary evil (be it VAT, Fuel levies, sin tax, income tax / company tax etc) why should PPA feel they should not be part of the TAX pool and not pay their TAX to the necessary government department in this case CSA? Yes they can put on events without sanctioning - the court ruled on this - but the riders (the better ones and those who support most of their event not 1 here and there) now cannot ride these event because the rules they fall under does not permit this. So why PPA put on events of such a nature - rather put on events inline with what you claim to be (non racing) for example “Moon Light Mass” and that is not a race! That falls in your agenda - let these race you put on be controlled by the body that is recognised by National goverment or if you feel you can do a better job (I feel the same way) get them sanctioned with the cost associated to that!

I wonder how many riders with CSA licences will ride the PPA event this weekend - I will not!

Edited by Icycling

Rules are rules, but stupid rules need to be broken.

Look what's happening with the civil disobedience with etolls, brilliant how the authorities have been given the middle finger for assuming the public will just bend.

Will they really ban you from the epic foot doing a fun ride. Are they that stupid? Hope someone has the balls to try them on this. Hope lots do.

Rules are rules, but stupid rules need to be broken..................

Agreed. Even if it is a UCI rule, to me it sounds unconstitutional in South Africa. I believe that it is against my internationally accepted human right to freedom of association.