Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

I don't get why everyone is making ongoing noise about this.

The last statement from CSA read that you won't be up for National colours etc and licensed riders who are considering this type of involvement should abide by the UCI ruling.

Joe Average who races in the leagues would not be affected....

How come this keeps being made bigger than what it is??

Because not everyone is a funrider on this forum.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I though most okes who are doing Epic don't ride the argus because it is to risky to brave the bunch riding madness and then throw months of training and cash away.

this might be old hat, but anyway - the UCI's famous stupid rule

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

It actually doesn't specify cycling events. any event?

I though most okes who are doing Epic don't ride the argus because it is to risky to brave the bunch riding madness and then throw months of training and cash away.

this might be old hat, but anyway - the UCI's famous stupid rule

It actually doesn't specify cycling events. any event?

Better don't go to church........... :ph34r:

Most the Epic GC contenders did the Argus last year.

Most the Epic GC contenders did the Argus last year.

Most Epic GC contenders start in the elite bunches up front, where everyone knows more or less how to stay upright and pointed in generally the same direction...

Most Epic GC contenders start in the elite bunches up front, where everyone knows more or less how to stay upright and pointed in generally the same direction...

My understanding because of the 1 month ban these Epic riders definitely cannot do both the Argus and the Epic this year - again I maybe wrong!

Topic here somewhere where there is one guy who is in VA and asked how racing tactics worked, where to sit in the bunch etc.  :eek:  :nuke:

Not sure if this question has been answered: Will either the CSA or PPA refund us our entry fee due to the fact that we can no longer participate i.r.o. this rule?

Not sure if this question has been answered: Will either the CSA or PPA refund us our entry fee due to the fact that we can no longer participate i.r.o. this rule?

if you have a racing license...then there is an issue or else you fine.

Because not everyone is a funrider on this forum.

Indeed, there are MANY who aren't.

The real grey area about this whole debacle is whether the people who take out full racing licences from CSA with the intention of participating in the various league categories they offer but have no ambition towards representing the country should participate.

Definition of CSA Full Racing License

This category of license is for riders from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. The bearer of a full license is entitled to partake in national championship or series race and be seeded accordingly. Those of who race in the UCI categories (Junior, U23 and Elite) earn UCI points, which will assist them in being seeded at future UCI category events, world cups and championships.

Indeed, there are MANY who aren't.

The real grey area about this whole debacle is whether the people who take out full racing licences from CSA with the intention of participating in the various league categories they offer but have no ambition towards representing the country should participate.

Definition of CSA Full Racing License

This category of license is for riders from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. The bearer of a full license is entitled to partake in national championship or series race and be seeded accordingly. Those of who race in the UCI categories (Junior, U23 and Elite) earn UCI points, which will assist them in being seeded at future UCI category events, world cups and championships.

SA was done and dusted in Feb already.  Colors awarded etc. 

There are lots and lots of licensed riders doing Argus.  Minority, yes.  But still (And I am guessing here) 1000 riders? 

That is about 2-5% of the total?

So to 5%......thanks for your money but we don't want you at our event so bugger off.

My R10k spent on B&B and food won't be welcome in the Cape then either.

And I will miss an amazing event which I have done numerous times.

Will I take out a full license next year?

Most likely not.  CSA has again shown that they are in it to play power/political games with their riders rather than help the sport.

So in the long run, the Cape economy is going to dip 3-5% over the Argus week with licensed funriders like myself not going down anymore.

CSA wont get my support and money for next years season as well. 

Not much to them........and life goes on as normal.

As long as we have Rugby, beer and biltong, right?  Life can and will go on.

C'est la vie.

.............And I will miss an amazing event which I have done numerous times...............

That would indeed be sad.

SA was done and dusted in Feb already.  Colors awarded etc. 

There are lots and lots of licensed riders doing Argus.  Minority, yes.  But still (And I am guessing here) 1000 riders? 

That is about 2-5% of the total?

So to 5%......thanks for your money but we don't want you at our event so bugger off.

My R10k spent on B&B and food won't be welcome in the Cape then either.

And I will miss an amazing event which I have done numerous times.

Will I take out a full license next year?

Most likely not.  CSA has again shown that they are in it to play power/political games with their riders rather than help the sport.

So in the long run, the Cape economy is going to dip 3-5% over the Argus week with licensed funriders like myself not going down anymore.

CSA wont get my support and money for next years season as well. 

Not much to them........and life goes on as normal.

As long as we have Rugby, beer and biltong, right?  Life can and will go on.

C'est la vie.

As you know you have choices.

ride, don't ride. there may be a consequence, there may not be a consequence. I suspect this will be determined by how many riders need to be banned. If Bernard Hinault was in the ride I know what he would do...

at the end of the day what are consequences and unintended consequences.

what is the value of the one month ban besides the CHF50-100?

and then ask yourself do you like being a puppet and who is the puppet master. and is that puppet master worth supporting?

if you have a racing license...then there is an issue or else you fine.

I am aware that there is an issue if you have a full racing license. We have however entered and paid prior to this bomb being dropped. The question is still: who will refund us the entry fee, now that we are no longer allowed to race without being penalised?

Archived