Tokai MTB AGM comments

marko35s

So to summerise

We don't know who does the EMP and we don't know when it will be completed, as far as I know this has been going on for years. And because we don't have and EMP we cant do a trail rationalization? Not feeling terribly optimistic...

No. We know who is doing the EMP (almost finalised) and we know who is doing the rationalisation. EMP has been going on for approx 18 - 24 months or so (was talked about a lot and then finally started) and the rationalisation is separate but connected to. They are now both in Parks' hands, and the powers that be know that it is critical to get them done as soon as possible. However, we have no control over how long the process will take - hence the continual prodding from our end. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the 2014 agm, but not the 2015 one*.

Having low numbers at an AGM is normally a bad sign of apathy, but I think some of the reason is that the general tokai oke who cares enough to go along to this sort of thing has faith in the committee to do the right thing(s). I sure do.

totally off tangent, but a little bit related - I remember hardly seeing any ladies at the 2014 one, and none in the pic here - it's not like they don't ride tokai, but serious amount of apathy there.

*I was busy at the time.....

No. We know who is doing the EMP (almost finalised) and we know who is doing the rationalisation. EMP has been going on for approx 18 - 24 months or so (was talked about a lot and then finally started) and the rationalisation is separate but connected to. They are now both in Parks' hands, and the powers that be know that it is critical to get them done as soon as possible. However, we have no control over how long the process will take - hence the continual prodding from our end. 

Myles, I urge you to meet first..

The committee will be meeting on the 24th and new members will be brought up to speed. There's a lot that has changed while the process remains the same.

Harry, new possibilities open each day. There is an accepted framework around rationalisation but I think it's best to pick up on the timeframe when there is a better indication after engaging Parks around the vision. Right now limiting factor is the removal of the pine. Obviously we cannot wait for 2025 so alternative roll-out methods will need finalising. We have a few options available. 

100%, Harry. I'm sure I could tell you more as we go along, but at the moment, as I said, we just don't know. 

If we do eventually get a number, I'll let you know. The EMP however is due for public comment pretty shortly. It's in draft format now, and we should see movement on that in the next couple of months. 

Well the management plan is out for review, you guys know about it?

1509287_819260421481177_6611754023738919

Here is the draft of the plan

http://www.sanparks.org/conservation/park_man/draft_plans.php

You have to register to attend

http://www.sanparks.org/conservation/park_man/forms/reg_form.php

What is the approach decided on to deal with parks, is it different from previous years where meeting with them yielded very little if nothing at all? If we don't pressure them nothing will happen

Pressure may help get us to the table but it does not produce plans.

Myles, I urge you to meet first..

The committee will be meeting on the 24th and new members will be brought up to speed. There's a lot that has changed while the process remains the same.

Harry, new possibilities open each day. There is an accepted framework around rationalisation but I think it's best to pick up on the timeframe when there is a better indication after engaging Parks around the vision. Right now limiting factor is the removal of the pine. Obviously we cannot wait for 2025 so alternative roll-out methods will need finalising. We have a few options available. 

100% 

There's still a lot to discuss before timeframes and calls for "pressure" are warranted. A lot has changed, and a lot can still be done. 

Pressure may help get us to the table but it does not produce plans.

If you stop applying that pressure nothing will happen after you get to the table.

FFS, insist on a timeline. It's the ONLY way to make people accountable.

If milestones aren't met without reasonable explanations, then it can be recorded and those responsible can be held accountable.

i'm not advocating not supporting any one. where did that interpretation come from? jeepers.

anyway, i resent snotty comments about ppl not showing up, especially the follow up bs about last year's vs this year's numbers. What a load of ***. honestly.  Mark woulda been better to just apologise and move along.

getting answers here or there: it should be no different. This place and time specific condition for 'good answers' is a load of manure. I hope the 'special responses' were all documented so the rest of us 'slackers' can finally get a clue as to wth is going on. Or must we wait till next year's AGM?

don't take it personally. I viewit as they can chose. I could have been there but then the lights might not have been on. Some things are just more important than my hobbies.

If you stop applying that pressure nothing will happen after you get to the table.

If milestones aren't met without reasonable explanations, then it can be recorded and those responsible can be held accountable.

dave I'm going to have to LOL this one.

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Its just not to happen by corporate means.

dave I'm going to have to LOL this one.

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Its just not to happen by corporate means.

Fair enough...

EDIT: Wishful thinking I think

It is ridiculous that they cant give a time line, they must have some idea when they expect to complete. I have to agree with Dave, pressure is the only thing that gets them moving. if you don't pressure them they will take their time.

Maybe its coincidence but I find it strange that after headshot had a very heated meeting with the parks, in the next week they cleared the black wattle around the trails, started burning in places and now have that group of ladies helping out on the trails, all things that were brought up in the meeting

Maybe its coincidence but I find it strange that after headshot had a very heated meeting with the parks, in the next week they cleared the black wattle around the trails, started burning in places and now have that group of ladies helping out on the trails, all things that were brought up in the meeting

The wattle has been systematically removed over the last year or so (you'll remember the emails on the Hogs list) and the recent "burn" was accidental (if you're talking abou thte patch on the RHS as you're going up towards level 4)

The EPWP girls have been in discussion for aaages. 

The wattle has been systematically removed over the last year or so (you'll remember the emails on the Hogs list) and the recent "burn" was accidental (if you're talking abou thte patch on the RHS as you're going up towards level 4)

The EPWP girls have been in discussion for aaages. 

If this is the case then FFS......COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is the case then FFS......COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, I told you (and the hogs) about the wattle last year already. If you had looked, you'd have seen it yourself as well. 

the burn on that particular section happened int he last 3 weeks or so, afaik (I only saw it 2 weeks ago and asked around) 

Would you have liked to know about EPWP before their services had been secured? It was communicated as they started work on the Mamba trail. 

BTW - I agree that communication could be better. That's what I hope to help with in my role on the committee. But we cannot communicate every little thing that goes on, all the time - otherwise the important stuff is just passed over as "just another thing" - it needs to be proper communication. That's what I want to implement. 

By proper communication, I mean in depth and meaningful. 

We will be discussing it in the first meeting as well as in later ones... Don't worry, you won't be left behind wondering about things. 

100% 

There's still a lot to discuss before timeframes and calls for "pressure" are warranted. A lot has changed, and a lot can still be done. 

pines only grow as fast as they grow...

Archived