I was bikejacked today

VicanZA

Hi guys,on the track parallel to the R59 highway on my way back home. 3 guys with a knife, stick and beer bottle jumped me. Tried to stab me and I used my viper as a real race weapon. Tried fighting them off but eventually had to give them my bike. They searched me and took my iphone, my kit and spare tube. Then told me to walk away from them. Which I did. Once I was a safe distance from them I ran onto the highway and signaled some cars. I thought no one would stop but about 5 cars stopped to assist me.within about 4 mins my bike had been recovered and the real heroes here are the people that stopped to help me. They ran into the veld to confront the perpetrators and retrieved my bike. One of the guys who stopped has a reservist friend, who arrived about 5 mins later and apprehended one of the suspects. We were then tracking them via the find my iphone app. Lost my phone - but faith in humanity restored. To the guy in the Springbok shirt, the black couple, and to Linda and Johnathan I'd like to send my heartfelt thanks. There were about 7 or 8 selfless people who risked their own safety to help me. Those type of people make this country work. I wish I'd gotten all their names and numbers so that I could thank them directly.

I'm I gonna stop riding? hell no, will be out there 7 am Tuesday! The day I let 1% of SA tell me how to live my life is the day I pack for Perth. Keep riding guys, lots of good people out there, SA rocks that's what I learnt today.

Am I gonna ride in a group? This has come up a lot today, probably not, it's the choice of riding when and where I like that makes this special, when u need to climb that hill and reflect, when u decide to walk into the bush for 3 days and disappear(hiking), that's what makes SA great for ME. Flame suit on....

Thumbs down to vodacom who could only block my phone but not provide an ITC number as its a business account!

SAP, real stars tried tracking my phone and got the perpetrator to take us to thier home, unfortunately they had pulled the sim out(I think) and we couldn't find them.

Opening a case took 2 hours, I'm not gonna let all the good work today be for nothing, even if the guy will only do 6 to 12 months.

Your head is in the right place VicanZA, keep enjoying our great country!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been having issues with petty crime recently, but tomorrow I have to go to court in the case against the guy caught breaking into my car last September.

The system does work (sometimes)

Glad you are ok!

Do yourself a favour and get some trauma councelling - I say this from hard experience.

If you need a reference, drop me a pm - I will get you one or two.

His attitude is only amazing because he got lucky. The dad who was shot dead in front of his son while riding mtb has no attitude because he is dead, and where does that leave the son? Maybe we should get pissed about crime there is no positives to take from it.

You live in a country where you should try and look for positives and stop focusing on the negatives, it's not only something you might want to keep in mind about this country but also life.

And you can go ahead and get pissed and rant everyday all day, I am not about that life. I do get upset but I don't let stuff like this get to me as much, it happens all around the world you won't escape it.

Great to hear that you have come out on top. You are a lot braver than I. Also good to hear that so many people came to your aid. Unusual in this day and age. Having said that, the first car is normally the hardest. South Africans in general are always willing to give a hand. Always envy watching the guys riding on that stretch, from the vantage of my sardine can. Would be a pity to loose it. Stay Safe out there.

Hi guys,on the track parallel to the R59 highway on my way back home. 3 guys with a knife, stick and beer bottle jumped me. Tried to stab me and I used my viper as a real race weapon. Tried fighting them off but eventually had to give them my bike. They searched me and took my iphone, my kit and spare tube. Then told me to walk away from them. Which I did. Once I was a safe distance from them I ran onto the highway and signaled some cars. I thought no one would stop but about 5 cars stopped to assist me.within about 4 mins my bike had been recovered and the real heroes here are the people that stopped to help me. They ran into the veld to confront the perpetrators and retrieved my bike. One of the guys who stopped has a reservist friend, who arrived about 5 mins later and apprehended one of the suspects. We were then tracking them via the find my iphone app. Lost my phone - but faith in humanity restored. To the guy in the Springbok shirt, the black couple, and to Linda and Johnathan I'd like to send my heartfelt thanks. There were about 7 or 8 selfless people who risked their own safety to help me. Those type of people make this country work. I wish I'd gotten all their names and numbers so that I could thank them directly.

I'm I gonna stop riding? hell no, will be out there 7 am Tuesday! The day I let 1% of SA tell me how to live my life is the day I pack for Perth. Keep riding guys, lots of good people out there, SA rocks that's what I learnt today.

Am I gonna ride in a group? This has come up a lot today, probably not, it's the choice of riding when and where I like that makes this special, when u need to climb that hill and reflect, when u decide to walk into the bush for 3 days and disappear(hiking), that's what makes SA great for ME. Flame suit on....

Thumbs down to vodacom who could only block my phone but not provide an ITC number as its a business account!

SAP, real stars tried tracking my phone and got the perpetrator to take us to thier home, unfortunately they had pulled the sim out(I think) and we couldn't find them.

Opening a case took 2 hours, I'm not gonna let all the good work today be for nothing, even if the guy will only do 6 to 12 months.

HOLY CRAP man i glad your ok. also proud that you tried to defend yourself. Glad they caught the guys. This BS needs to end we are no victims nor prey. its our sport and we love doing so.

They searched me and took my iphone, my kit and spare tube. 

stopping to help a guy in cycling kit without a bike!

:eek:

Glad you walked out of this one unscathed and got your bike back. 

Go register your bike on the SA Cycle Register www.cycleregister.co.za  for free and if you're not lucky enough to recover your bike on the day this platform gives bike shops and the police a tool to trace the owner and prosecute criminals.  

:eek:

the kit I'm talking about was my spare tube, the toe pick wallet with my tools in it and my bomb valve. All the stuff u carry in back pockets. So i did have my clothes on.

the kit I'm talking about was my spare tube, the toe pick wallet with my tools in it and my bomb valve. All the stuff u carry in back pockets. So i did have my clothes on.

Phew!!! Happy to hear that

Archived