Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

You would, just like your cycling buddy who is related to me  :wacko:

We don't really have "buddies" :P  Fellow savages or team mates, but not buddies :P

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done 6 journeys up Constantia. All on foot. Would love to ride up there.

a)would make the route too long.(you keen for 130km?)

b)used to be a popular route, don't think any funride goes down hout bay side of constantia nek anymore, just too many bad crashes (including fatalaties)

those fatalities were in events with no road closure and riders crashed into oncoming vehicles. With road closure it is safe and there is opportunity for emergency vehicles to gain access

If you did one of those then you would know the haul up Blue Route is anything but fun...

Swore i would never do another "De Tour"

i fully agree on that .race was stop once on detour due to the heat aswell its a killer for a novice

I wonder how much more climbing is involved in the following - Boyes Drive, Red Hill, Ou Kaapse Weg, Constantia Nek, Suikerbossie?

I wonder how much more climbing is involved in the following - Boyes Drive, Red Hill, Ou Kaapse Weg, Constantia Nek, Suikerbossie?

50 percent of the field would not be able to complete that route. My girlfriend included, and she trains often.

50 percent of the field would not be able to complete that route. My girlfriend included, and she trains often.

I agree - just wondering...

If we want to do a KILLER RIDE, that is roughly what we do. Agreed, most of the field will need a shuttle or two to complete that route.

For us Argus newbies: should the alternative route be via ou kaapse does that mean we climb up ou kaapse and then return back the M3 via Constantia Nek to Suikerbossie and then 'home'?

For us Argus newbies: should the alternative route be via ou kaapse does that mean we climb up ou kaapse and then return back the M3 via Constantia Nek to Suikerbossie and then 'home'?

No, if we're going over Ou Kaapse Weg then it's straight down the M3 to the finish.

I'd much MUCH rather go over Chappies and Suikerbossie than go up the M3.  (Ou Kaapse is fine though - although not very scenic in its current state...)

That would be quite a long detour to bypass Chappies.

i fully agree on that .race was stop once on detour due to the heat aswell its a killer for a novice

I recall that 3 cyclists died that year. One of them lay on the island between the M3 lanes just before UCT where SAPS had erected saw horses across the road to stop participants. The organisers had run out of water on Ou Kaapseweg as the earlier riders had used the water to cool themselves down.

No, if we're going over Ou Kaapse Weg then it's straight down the M3 to the finish.

I'd much MUCH rather go over Chappies and Suikerbossie than go up the M3.  (Ou Kaapse is fine though - although not very scenic in its current state...)

mmmmmmm.....well, looks like the beers at the end will be well well well earned 

So on Cape Talk they say that the alternative route will be taken and it will be made official tomorrow. ...

Did they say what the alternative route is?