NEW Power Meters from PowerTap

BicyclePower

We ran the PT and the Stages together on several rides.  We found about 2w on the avg watt measurement difference over an hour.  Nothing to cry about

Please don't take my statement as all Stages product as being that inaccurate, for the larger part the system has its pluses and some units give erroneous readings, thats the way technology happens. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get back on topic.........

Looking forward to see what PT have in store.  Innovation is very cool if you learn from the past.....

The main issue I have with PT is that I cannot build it into my favourite wheelset:

Lightweight for racing

Campy Shamal for training

Mavic SLR for the MTB

So if they get a solution for that and the price point is good, then PT would be an option.

New Power Meters from Powertap.. so is it a completely new power meter or is it just the same hub base power meter with a few tweaks?  Looks like it's just a newer model in which case the subject line is misleading. 

There are going to be completely new systems, a revamped MTB unit which is the only thing they have been allowed to show off...I reckon the launch will be soon. 

To get back on topic.........

Looking forward to see what PT have in store.  Innovation is very cool if you learn from the past.....

The main issue I have with PT is that I cannot build it into my favourite wheelset:

Lightweight for racing

Campy Shamal for training

Mavic SLR for the MTB

So if they get a solution for that and the price point is good, then PT would be an option.

There are going to be completely new systems, a revamped MTB unit which is the only thing they have been allowed to show off...I reckon the launch will be soon. 

It would be great if PT came up with something that is not wheel hub reliant, imo that is where the future of power training will be...away from the hub. It needs to be consistent, simpler and cheaper for athletes. The issue of different wheels will always be a problem...pedals, crank arms not so much.

I love my powertap... Mainly because it just works every time i ride. The data seems accurate and reliable and it zero calibrates when you coast. And for the price i paid for it to be built onto a set of Zipp 101s it seems like the perfect value solution for my racing/training using power.

The zipp 101s are the only set of road wheels i use for both racing and training on both my road or tri bike. I just switch the wheels around when i ride a different bike and it takes 2 seconds to do. It is a weakness of powertap that i can't transfer it to my mtb/cyclocross/commuter/etc bikes as they obviously have a different sized rear wheel but i feel its also a weakness of the other pedal/crank based systems because i couldn't see myself changing pedals or cranks between those bikes purely because i see changing pedals/cranks and then calibrating as a hassle compared to switching out a self calibrating rear wheel. I can't see the value of buying a mtb wheel with a powertap hub as i can't see myself doing specific power intervals on a mtb especially on the trails. If i got a new set of race wheels for the road, i would definitely get the powertap again. If only zipp 303s were cheaper...

I'd like to see is single leg data but i think its wishful thinking that the new powertap will have this, as from my limited understanding of powermeters, the hub will never know what power is coming from what leg and at most could perhaps only estimate based on other sensors on the pedals or using some funky algorithm. Anyway not having left/right balance isn't the end of the world for me and wont make me switch to another system but i wouldn't say no to having it if they offered.

I tried googling to find any more news on the new products but couldn't see any news apart from a dcrainmaker article about higher speed data (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/sneak-powertap-products.html)

no one ever maintains 50;50 power balance any way so its entirely possible to smooth out the data with software and deliver the same accuracy. In fact users of Stages who also use PT, claim stages is just as accurate.

I don't know what users you're referring to, but I'm speaking from my own experience here.

I own a powertap, SRM and recently a Stages. I also have a Tacx Bushido IDT. The Tacx, powertap and SRM all give me readings within 5% of each other. The Stages unit reads 10-15% lower. I logged a call with Stages Cycling, all they could suggest was for me to try and correct the imbalance by looking at cleat positioning or cleat shims.

How can software smooth out the data? You're only getting readings from your left leg with a stages power meter. If you have a 45:55 imbalance, stages will read 90W when you're pushing out 100W...that's grade 2 maths.

Now that I've cleared that up - we can get back to the original topic.

Currently PowerTap could (with a bit of an algorithm) calculate L/R balance as the cadence is calculated from the forces applied with each pedal stroke, Soooo in theory if the system had a crank position (i.e a magnet etc) sensor then it could calculate L/R balance...

Personally I think this whole L/R balance is marketing hype - no human body is perfectly symmetrical so why force it to be something its not? surely the closer you get to 50/50 balance the overall power will go up and your body becomes more efficient.

Perfect case of this was Sean Yates - he had the most skew body in the peloton in the 90's but he could lay down the hurt... 

Currently PowerTap could (with a bit of an algorithm) calculate L/R balance as the cadence is calculated from the forces applied with each pedal stroke, Soooo in theory if the system had a crank position (i.e a magnet etc) sensor then it could calculate L/R balance...

Personally I think this whole L/R balance is marketing hype - no human body is perfectly symmetrical so why force it to be something its not? surely the closer you get to 50/50 balance the overall power will go up and your body becomes more efficient.

Perfect case of this was Sean Yates - he had the most skew body in the peloton in the 90's but he could lay down the hurt... 

A convicted dopper?

So what the point of this advert ?

Is the their version of the pedal based power meter or the new GS power tap ?

soon all will be told about the SYSTEMS hitting the market...... 

So there are more than one?

So there will be 50 % off sale on all the old outdated hubs that you have in stock...????????????????

So there will be 50 % off sale on all the old outdated hubs that you have in stock...

for those wanting specials on the current systems drop me a mail on dave(at)bicyclepower.co.za and i will forward the specials on. the MTB units will have a great deal doing on, ensuring we are the most price competitive systems!!! 

I don't know what users you're referring to, but I'm speaking from my own experience here.

I own a powertap, SRM and recently a Stages. I also have a Tacx Bushido IDT. The Tacx, powertap and SRM all give me readings within 5% of each other. The Stages unit reads 10-15% lower. I logged a call with Stages Cycling, all they could suggest was for me to try and correct the imbalance by looking at cleat positioning or cleat shims.

How can software smooth out the data? You're only getting readings from your left leg with a stages power meter. If you have a 45:55 imbalance, stages will read 90W when you're pushing out 100W...that's grade 2 maths.

Now that I've cleared that up - we can get back to the original topic.

Ok we get it you're a Powertap disciple. Happy for you man.

Archived