Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Guest Smimby

ok so they must get a completely separate start and finish venue, and separate route, pay for the necessary approvals, closures etc. for both scenarios to get the permissions in place because a natural disaster of Epic proportions happened once in 38 years. Next year we will have the wind or extreme heat again, so factor that in as well with this new route, perhaps source an indoor venue for this... IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE... 

Can I ask you ONE thing, please learn from EL Captain how NOT to be sacastic, and explain properly.

I did not know how long it takes to get permission from SANRAL, I tought it is some that Helen can sign off with friends over tea. So many others think the same.

I did not know that CTCT will NOT be able to get permission to change the route to go towards Blouberg fro example. 

Again I thought, it is something they can do in a sec.

El Captain, explained that Monday was to late to apply for anything, to make such a major change in the route. CTCT always state that the route could change, but I never knew that they have the route A, B, C, D pre-approved so if they can not use chappies they can easily change to OKW.

It now makes sense why they are on route they have now.

Most people here as very sarcastic with their replies, calling people names, and stupid etc.

Like your comment about SANRAL, saying try and get that right with SANRAL or something like that.

El Captain then says " SANRAL will require 3 days" and mentioned that approaval will be needed from Disaster Management etc. 

Then I could see it, even if CTCT applied on Monday to SANRAL, they would not have had the approval from DM( not that I think DM would have wanted to care about any of that on Monday as they were busy saving lives) So even if CTCT wanted to change(apply for) the route to change on Monday they would not have been able to do so.

So that leaves us with 3days SANRAL requires, ending Thursday, by that time CTCT has to put stuff on the ground and etc etc......

Now, I wrote this for the benefit of others who might think the way I was thinking. Slowbee for excample.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so lets look at when the fire started and when did you guys in Cape Town realise its now a braaivleis fire?

Surely somewhere someone should have said, "okes this fire is serious we need to sit and discuss some alternative plans"

Or lets wait till Wednesday when its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to late to do anything and then make a decision

I am sure the role players were already in discussion on Monday morning at 7am and decided to make a call at the latest possible moment, given that a re-route would not be possible as so concisely explained by the Captain. 

this...

Guest Smimby

Nope. Not enough time. Seriously... 

Emergency services, public participation & notification of the closed roads, etc etc etc. Takes far longer than 3 days to set that up. 

He is trolling...

Okay so lets look at when the fire started and when did you guys in Cape Town realise its now a braaivleis fire?

Surely somewhere someone should have said, "okes this fire is serious we need to sit and discuss some alternative plans"

I agree with that.

It is entirely reasonable that instead of managing the response to the fires, the senior Emergency services personnel should from Tuesday have been drawing up a plan to support a 35 000 rider cycle race elsewhere on the peninsula.

Wat rook julle daar in die Kaap ?

this...

Please answer my question

If they had a meeting on Monday they would have known and discussed that they dont have any other options but a shorter route.

El Captain then says " SANRAL will require 3 days" and mentioned that approaval will be needed from Disaster Management etc. 

Then I could see it, even if CTCT applied on Monday to SANRAL, they would not have had the approval from DM( not that I think DM would have wanted to care about any of that on Monday as they were busy saving lives) So even if CTCT wanted to change(apply for) the route to change on Monday they would not have been able to do so.

So that leaves us with 3days SANRAL requires, ending Thursday, by that time CTCT has to put stuff on the ground and etc etc......

Huh? 

No - I really didn't (but I had to check anyway) - I said it takes far longer than 3 days to get the requisite approvals in place - didn't reference SANRAL at all... 

the 3 days part was the notice for suppliers (scaffolding, drinks, etc) to start planning thier rollouts of services and supplies to the relevant areas. A full day to plan which route to take to deliver your goods, at the minimum... 

Plus, I'm quite certain of the fact that SANRAL will require a LOT more than 3 days to approve a route / use of a national road.

Can I ask you ONE thing, please learn from EL Captain how NOT to be sacastic, and explain properly.

I did not know how long it takes to get permission from SANRAL, I tought it is some that Helen can sign off with friends over tea. So many others think the same.

I did not know that CTCT will NOT be able to get permission to change the route to go towards Blouberg fro example. 

Again I thought, it is something they can do in a sec.

El Captain, explained that Monday was to late to apply for anything, to make such a major change in the route. CTCT always state that the route could change, but I never knew that they have the route A, B, C, D pre-approved so if they can not use chappies they can easily change to OKW.

It now makes sense why they are on route they have now.

Most people here as very sarcastic with their replies, calling people names, and stupid etc.

Like your comment about SANRAL, saying try and get that right with SANRAL or something like that.

Now, I wrote this for the benefit of others who might think the way I was thinking. Slowbee for excample.

for me its common sense that if you have complete redundancy in two entirely separate routes and start and finish venues there would be significant cost involved. Will we then pay R800 next year just so that they can have a "Boland Argus" as backup? Nevermind the other logistics of 35 000 odd people on the day. 

Perhaps the answer is half the field and double the entry, making contingency planning a bit easier and the need for a fully redundant route less of an issue, but I am over simplifying, so let this thought simmer for a while. 

:stupid:

Then you are trolling as well, I am asking exactly the same questions as you

Well played, sir - I couldn't see the expression on your face, for once. And I don't normally miss your troll-face!

The hold off in the annoucement was to see if OKW was a viable option with the fire services having the opportunity at putting it out. We all know that did not happen and the fire gained in ferocity and then went on it's real rampage through homes in both Monkey Valley and Tokia and shutting down both Boyes Drive and OKW. That essentially forced the organisers to look at what part of the route they could still ask access for and this is the 47kms we will ride with not a single vehicle to share our road space with! VIVA cycling! Thank you CTCTT

Please answer my question

If they had a meeting on Monday they would have known and discussed that they dont have any other options but a shorter route.

Around the time the Jagermeister came out. 

"Dude.... check the mountaaain" was heard from Bellville to Noordhoek, the "Rich Whitey Stronghold of Lore"

Joh boys - sies! Just come and enjoy what is left of the race - and if not then that's also fine.

More time for beers etc. Chill there is nothing you can do about it.

The hold off in the annoucement was to see if OKW was a viable option with the fire services having the opportunity at putting it out. We all know that did not happen and the fire gained in ferocity and then went on it's real rampage through homes in both Monkey Valley and Tokia and shutting down both Boyes Drive and OKW. That essentially forced the organisers to look at what part of the route they could still ask access for and this is the 47kms we will ride with not a single vehicle to share our road space with! VIVA cycling! Thank you CTCTT

But earlier in the thread there were stories of smoke inhalation, ash everywhere, dangerous roads and the emergency services needing the road to what they need to do.

Sounds to me like Plan B and C was never an option and there was no reason to wait until Wednesday to announce the shorter route.

Maybe a lot more cancellations if they announced it on Monday...

Edited by escapee..

Its unfortunate, but in my opinion the organizers waited too long to make a call and left people feeling uncertain. 

I have just read the posted brief and its mostly full of fluff and irrelevant points. People are very forgiving if you take them into your confidence and just tell them the facts.

In my opinion the brief should have been sent out Monday midday giving people time to make informed decisions on wither to travel or not. People understand the situation is fluid, just tell them the facts, "Folks this is the information we have up to and at this point, and, because we understand people need to make arrangements, based on this information we have made the decision to shorten the race.We understand circumstances may change later, but in an effort to accommodate everyone we had to make a call."

Thats all people want to know, it gives them time to make an informed decision and removes uncertainty. I suggest this would have eliminated a lot of the animosity people feel now that they may have been forced into a track they would not have taken given the choice.