Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Guest Smimby

:stupid:

Then you are trolling as well, I am asking exactly the same questions as you

Huh? 

No - I really didn't (but I had to check anyway) - I said it takes far longer than 3 days to get the requisite approvals in place - didn't reference SANRAL at all... 

the 3 days part was the notice for suppliers (scaffolding, drinks, etc) to start planning thier rollouts of services and supplies to the relevant areas. A full day to plan which route to take to deliver your goods, at the minimum... 

Plus, I'm quite certain of the fact that SANRAL will require a LOT more than 3 days to approve a route / use of a national road.

Did not go back to check the facts so sorry that I mis-quoted you....

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so they must get a completely separate start and finish venue, and separate route, pay for the necessary approvals, closures etc. for both scenarios to get the permissions in place because a natural disaster of Epic proportions happened once in 38 years. Next year we will have the wind or extreme heat again, so factor that in as well with this new route, perhaps source an indoor venue for this... IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE...

I don't see the problem. ..at 430 x 35000...shouldn't be a problem....the city can come aboard as well ...hell the give the minstrels a couple of mill each year ...???????????? the alternative can be advertised as well and residents informed....and nd if all goes well ..it's the traditional route ..if not ..it's the alternative....really don't see the problem...☺

The hold off in the annoucement was to see if OKW was a viable option with the fire services having the opportunity at putting it out. We all know that did not happen and the fire gained in ferocity and then went on it's real rampage through homes in both Monkey Valley and Tokia and shutting down both Boyes Drive and OKW. That essentially forced the organisers to look at what part of the route they could still ask access for and this is the 47kms we will ride with not a single vehicle to share our road space with! VIVA cycling! Thank you CTCTT

people seriously underestimate the mammoth task of putting up an event catering for 35 000 participants. If it was easy, there would be a 35 000 strong funride in every major city in the world. The more I think about the variables, logistics, planning, permissions, systems, safety, etc involved in this, the more appreciative I am for having done 5 Argusses without this type of curve ball. Ok, the windy Argus prolly came close, but with this current situation it just puts my moaning that year into perspective. 14 homes were destroyed this week and many more were under serious threat. 

Guest Smimby

:stupid:

Then you are trolling as well, I am asking exactly the same questions as you

Dude you were looking for a reaction from me...we mos have history

but whatever.

I learned a lot from El Captain here today. And now understand why CTCT made certain decisions, so the good news is that I can tell me friends who think like I used to think, what is really up.

So call me stupid, slow. I had the guts to keep asking the questions until I understood  the answer. (not until I was given and answer) until I understood it.

And lucky for me El Captain the decency to explain it without name calling etc.

Comment removed.

Not necessary to comment any further, I see the lights has gone on.... :whistling:  :whistling:

Edited by Wannabe

I don't see the problem. ..at 430 x 35000...shouldn't be a problem....the city can come aboard as well ...hell the give the minstrels a couple of mill each year ... the alternative can be advertised as well and residents informed....and nd if all goes well ..it's the traditional route ..if not ..it's the alternative....really don't see the problem...☺

I also don't have an issue to pay for a fully redundant route, but for many out there R800 is a lot of moola. 

What's going to cause trouble on the day is that riders are going to look at conditions on Sunday and say 'looks fine to me, no fires'.

An accurate forecast of fire conditions couldn't be made early in the week.

Lets not forget that right up to Wednesday, the fire was looking like it was out of control.

But earlier in the thread there were stories of smoke inhalation, ash everywhere, dangerous roads and the emergency services needing the road to what they need to do.

Sounds to me like Plan B and C was never an option and there was no reason to wait until Wednesday to announce the shorter route.

Maybe a lot more cancellations if they announced it on Monday...

But the real issues from the fire making it not possible to run across OKW only happened on Tuesday. Til then it would certainly have been noticeable but manageable. How could they have predicted that on Monday and given the early annoucement??

But the real issues from the fire making it not possible to run across OKW only happened on Tuesday. Til then it would certainly have been noticeable but manageable. How could they have predicted that on Monday and given the early annoucement??

I think you misunderstood, the argument is the call to ride a shortened race should have been made earlier, Monday midday preferably, whatever happens later is not the issue, the decision is made and everyone can plan accordingly.

from the horses mouth....last night after the announcement

As I suspected a lot happened from Monday morning early until Wednesday evening. 

What's going to cause trouble on the day is that riders are going to look at conditions on Sunday and say 'looks fine to me, no fires'.

An accurate forecast of fire conditions couldn't be made early in the week.

Lets not forget that right up to Wednesday, the fire was looking like it was out of control.

Even if the conditions are perfect between now and next week, the effect of 4 days of raging fire will still be ongoing come Sunday and there is no way it will be safe for 35 000 people to ride through the heart of the areas the fire has unloaded its wrath.

Been a bit busy today, so haven't had time to follow this thread.

But what will happen with the seedings post this ride? Will they use the 2014 result (for individuals who don't ride any other events) for the 2016 event?

Will this time be scrapped, I hear they're still timing the event.

I think you misunderstood, the argument is the call to ride a shortened race should have been made earlier, Monday midday preferably, whatever happens later is not the issue, the decision is made and everyone can plan accordingly.

+ 1000

Waiting till Wednesday, to say what you could have said on Monday..

Not cool man

Edited by escapee..

Nope, no misunderstanding. Monday the option to ride the longer detour route over OKW was still on the table, dependant on whether fire services were able to contain and put out the fire. At that time there was some burning that had happened, but the real issue came through Monday evening into Tuesday and Tuesday night. At that point the route became a figment of full distance imagination. How could they have annouced this earlier?

Edited by Tubehunter