How on earth does this work

It is engineered to bend. It is called a soft tail.

The first Scalpels were like that as well.

A very interesting design indeed.  I see they rely a lot on frame flex of the chain and seat stays instead of pivots.  Am also curious as to how effective this suspension is.

It is engineered to bend. It is called a soft tail.

The first Scalpels were like that as well.

No this is not a soft tail.  A soft tail does not have a shock like this Moots.

post-4408-0-41365500-1425636964_thumb.jpg

You may be correct, it seems that if there are no pivots it is also refered to as a soft tail. :thumbup:

You may be correct, it seems that if there are no pivots it is also refered to as a soft tail. :thumbup:

unfortunately it does. Softail only refers to a bike that relies on the flex of the chainstays to provide movement in the rear. How it decides to damp that movement (the sole purpose of a shock) is up to them. 

No this is not a soft tail.  A soft tail does not have a shock like this Moots.

attachicon.gifMoots Soft tail.jpg

They're both soft tails. Moots uses their own mechanism to provide the 1" odd of travel. Others use a standard 'factory' shock.

The soft tail definition lies in the fact that the chain stays flex and don't pivot - not in what device is used to provide the travel.

They're both soft tails. Moots uses their own mechanism to provide the 1" odd of travel. Others use a standard 'factory' shock.

The soft tail definition lies in the fact that the chain stays flex and don't pivot - not in what device is used to provide the travel.

Yip I get it, as you can see in post #9. :thumbup:

Yip I get it, as you can see in post #9. :thumbup:

Had the page open for some time before a came back and replied. Didn't see the replies and that El Capitan basically said the same - my bad  :clap:  :thumbup: .

this system is great until the Titanium plate fatigues, then it becomes a VERY soft tail...seen it happen... :eek:

Archived