Mixing 10/11 Speed Parts

TheJ

Wife's bike is a 11 speed affair, throughout.

Doing Ironman this year so put TT bars on, and only had 10 speed shifters available. So, I put the shifters onto friction mode and had her ride on "feel" to get the gears right.

I have now swopped out her 11 speed cassette with a 10 speed one to match the shifters (so only jockey and chain is 11 speed).

For the life if me, after cycling and fixing bikes for 20 years, I can't get these gears set right.

Am I missing something or is there a cable pull difference between the 11 speed jockey and 10 speed shifters that's stuffing me around?

On my bike I changed out my 9 speed STIs for 10 speed, with a 10 speed cassette. Just kept the 9 speed Dura Ace jockey, and all is golden.

So that rule doesn't apply from 10 to 11 speeds then?

• 3 weeks later...

One Dumb Question. I have a 9 Speed Casette on my road bike. Can i change the casette and rear derailer to 105 10 speed, without changing the shifters?

One Dumb Question. I have a 9 Speed Casette on my road bike. Can i change the casette and rear derailer to 105 10 speed, without changing the shifters?

You can ... but it wont work.

Derailleur and shifters have to be the same.  10spd with 10spd ... Shimano with Shimano.

There will be one or two gears where the chain keeps jumping and grinding.

Am I missing something or is there a cable pull difference between the 11 speed jockey and 10 speed shifters that's stuffing me around?

Pull ratio on Shimano is the same, 2:1

It is the actuation rate (movement of the derailleur) that differs.

There are differences in the derailleurs that determine how far they move with each pull.

Will a Sram Apex crank work with my Utegra 11 speed groupset. I want to try out a 180mm crank, and this is the cheapest option. Shimano only makes 180mm cranks in Dura Ace. Very expensive!

Well, some say the chain can get stuck between the two blades.

Other say the inside of a 10 speed chain is the same as 11 speed with only the thickness of the side plates of chain differs.

As always I would like the hear some opinions.

If you tried it yourself and speaks out of own experience, I always ad more value to your input.

Was talking to a youngster today who told me plastic bag flew into his wheel and foooked up his DI2 deraileur. Shimano stopped producing them now his stuck. Could that be right?

I'm stocking up on cassettes and chains to last me the next 5 years.

To convert my bike to 11sp, from SRAM 10sp, I changed the Shifters, cassette and chain - everything else stayed the same and I've not had a single shift issue.

The only difference in the R/D is cosmetic and the crank looks more nifty, otherwise the same.

Bought a YAW derrailleur for the tech, but not required.

Been running since 2013

To convert my bike to 11sp, from SRAM 10sp, I changed the Shifters, cassette and chain - everything else stayed the same and I've not had a single shift issue.The only difference in the R/D is cosmetic and the crank looks more nifty, otherwise the same.Bought a YAW derrailleur for the tech, but not required.Been running since 2013

Cool. But I think Shimano is different. Not that vice versa compatible from 10 to 11 speed.

I am also running Red 22 shifters, cassette and chain and the rest is 10speed without any issues. Sram works on a 1:1 ratio.

Shimano 11sp shifters won't work with 10sp derailleur, I tried. Doesn't shift lekker in the middle of the cassette. Bought 11sp Derailleur and all fixed

Archived