Jonkershoek fire

Heenan

Tokai - FUBAR, Jonkers - FUBAR. Oak Valley - No Access due to Epic. What now?

Google it...you'll be surprised.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heard an interview on the radio with a chopper pilot. He said the choppers don't put out the fire (maybe a little bit) but just cool it down enough for the ground crews to get close enough to do the job.

Indeed, that's pretty much what I saw too. The water through the trees is just enough to contain the worst of the blaze but the fire does not go out. Containing the fire is what counts though so in effect, when the choppers leave, the wind has the ability to throw the situation out of 'control'.

- Not saying the guys are ineffective, just that when a flame towers above you on a slope you have to crawl up while lugging heavy equipment, time and fatigue becomes the enemy. 

Aceofspades Bennet Nel Just confirmed. The fire has gone through lower canaries. I dont know about the top. Fire is behind the restaurant. Sounds like flow trail and slangpad are going.

Fire hut side sounds like there is damage. Fire on this side has now past half way to town side

Things have just gone up a notch. Fire is moving quickly along the neck of the Helderberg Neck and into the upper fynbos of Lourensford.

You can now here the sound of helicopters all the time.

So, will see you all later. Time to go help.

This is frightening. I think those firefighters must be knackered and it seems that the airtime they are getting in the news is reducing as the public are "warn out" of supporting.

These guys still need support in food etc etc. Where do you think the best place to donate is? eft etc or maybe a drop off point fo food supplies etc. I am in Durbanville.

Thanks for all the info by the way, I am finding this forum the best place to keep up to date.

This is frightening. I think those firefighters must be knackered and it seems that the airtime they are getting in the news is reducing as the public are "warn out" of supporting.

These guys still need support in food etc etc. Where do you think the best place to donate is? eft etc or maybe a drop off point fo food supplies etc. I am in Durbanville.

Thanks for all the info by the way, I am finding this forum the best place to keep up to date.

At the Ride In Cafe, apparently. For now. Call them and ask. 

Man.. I really feel like I should be doing more to help! Could be out there rather than sitting behind this screen, but don't want to get in the way or even know where to start...

Was going to go to the VWS sign up meeting last night, but that was canned due to them being so busy...

What more can we do?

Eden? Pardyskloof?

We still fine, going to hit Eden+gspot later today... live about 600m from gate, so hopefully no fire, haha

Eden? Pardyskloof?

Yes the fire is there, coming over the mountain. Top line houses were told to start hose down properties.

We still fine, going to hit Eden+gspot later today... live about 600m from gate, so hopefully no fire, haha

Commuted up gspot, along the blue-gums and down Coetzenburg into town this morning. All still fine. Fire was very high in the mountain in the fynbos.

EDIT: But this was 7:00am

This is where 'nature' can make a person ''so kwaad ek borsvoed sommer 'n krokodil'! How can 'n stompie or spark start such devastation when I need a box of matches and firelighters to start a braai for my wife and I  :cursing:

Sad sad situation and I feel for those working so hard to get it under control and those affected.

Sad indeed. But maybe there is some good out of all this. Check this pic after chappies fire.

post-21619-0-88584700-1426059763_thumb.jpg

Archived