Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

i'm not listening..... 10km ??? baby steps bryan baby steps..... Think I will try get round to 5km first,maybe .

Try 2 k's a day for the first three weeks at 3 times a week .

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try 2 k's a day for the first three weeks at 3 times a week .

sweet and there it is my motivation coz some one else gave me a plan of action. So are asics gel still,the preferred choice? Sigh can't believe.

sweet and there it is my motivation coz some one else gave me a plan of action. So are asics gel still,the preferred choice? Sigh can't believe.

They are still very good, but if you are starting afresh look in to minimalist shoes.

Change your style from the word go and run injury free .

Started running last winter... pretty much as Wyatt said, take it VERY easily and build up over a number of weeks.

Just picked up my first injury, though. Couple of weeks ago ran in the gully next to the road in Gordons Bay and did my post-tibial.  :unsure:  Wasn't thaaaat sore, so I carried on and was told yesterday to stop running, get rehabbed or stress fractures await, looking at the state of the muscle/tendons, etc. Had to happen a couple of weeks before Oceans!  :cursing: Seems this weekend I'll be riding a bit more - and hoping I don't have to unclip quickly with my left foot!

Love it - a new world opened and I can now actually get a freakin awesome workout in as little as half an hour. Very handy, esp in winter!

I read that the healthy part of running is up to 10km...anything more then that and you doing damage to your body...don't know how true that is..but I am loving getting out on the road for 2 odd hours with just me and my thoughts...so while I am enjoying that..I will take the that with a pinch of salt

I do believe that everyone should run in and compete at least one marathon in their life..that first one leaves you with a scene of euphoria you can't easily describe

Stretch, wait until you've both started and completed your first comrades. That feeling you get is simply overwhelming.

Been draggin my kids down to parkrun and I'm the one who has picked up the running bug...

As already mentioned, it's a useful way to fit in a tight training session when time is limited and it definitely works the legs in a completely different way! Going to do some real world testing in a few weeks when I tackle my local hill of truth and see what my performance is like since getting back into running.

Interesting..so the magic number is then 30km

A lady doctor from our club did some testing (body temps, muscle measurements/swelling etc) a few years ago at the multi day 3 cranes trail run. Her results showed that after approx 24km the amount of muscle damage grows exponentially.

I have been running for a few years on and off. Started with my dad and his running then dragging me along. I prefer Trail Riding. However when I run consistently I am at my fittest for riding. I like off road but must say Ironman was an experience. Most running sessions there is some chatting happening. Where as during my riding sessions its usually dieing up hill and bombing down (with some walking included both ways) :)  

Here's the runners world 10km beginner program, really easy to achieve and will lead to bigger better things as you progress...

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2011/01/10km-Beginner.jpg

Put on my running shoes yesterday and did an easy 3,5km run. Planning to do 2 sessions per week

I hate running! A LOT!

I don't didn't,see any point to it!

I also have a dodgy ankle that was cracked during an indoor soccer match way back when, that gives a ton of grief sometimes when on foot,

BUT.....

I Love my riding SO much, I just want to do whatever I can to be fitter to enjoy it more.

Not to win races ( :D as if that could EVER happen) not to get better batch starts (for races I don't enter anymore), just to improve my fitness, to not sukkel (as much) up climbs and combat the dreaded drags that I hate so much...

IT WORKS!

since the start of the year, I've been getting little runs in here and there. only 3 to about 6 km at a time, but when using muscles I didn't normally use, it feels like riding at least 30km.

So now, when the time presents itself, instead of going for lunch, I go for a run. I barely break 7 mins/km, so I won't be doing comrades any time soon, but I've seen a significant improvement in my fitness.

I'm not faster, things are just happening easier :clap:

that's not really running. not walking either, the grey area called shuffling.

BUT, believe it or not, it's fast enough to do comrades in the timelimit.

Archived