Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

I managed a 9 km in sub 40 the other day on a treadmill, so don't know why all the training programmes advocate huge distance.

I just looked at this again.

That means you are at 15 k's an hour and will give you a 4 minutes p/km. pace.

You are either very tall having the treadmill running at that speed you must have a huge stride and a cadence of less that 70.

I am a minute p/km. slower on the treadmill than the road.

If all numbers check out properly, you are a 3 minutes p/km. runner.

Cycling is not your sport .

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are either very tall having the treadmill running at that speed you must have a huge stride and a cadence of less that 70.

but what if the train leaves the tunnel 5 min later :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Im definitely faster on a treadmill than the road, There is much less fatigue involved and no hills!

Its interesting that you are faster on road, most of the people I know running treadmills at the gym who can run quite far and fast on them tend to fall apart when they do road races.

Im definitely faster on a treadmill than the road, There is much less fatigue involved and no hills!

Its interesting that you are faster on road, most of the people I know running treadmills at the gym who can run quite far and fast on them tend to fall apart when they do road races.

Lazy runners are faster on a treadmill, set the controls for the heart of the sun, get a long stride and keep the feet in the air as long as possible and it's easy to clock high distance.

Run on a treadmill as you would run on the road and see how the game plan changes .

Lazy runners are faster on a treadmill, set the controls for the heart of the sun, get a long stride and keep the feet in the air as long as possible and it's easy to clock high distance.

Run on a treadmill as you would run on the road and see how the game plan changes .

...  My guess is your treadmill understates you pace...

You are probably right there, I have not touched a treadmill since I started running more seriously so Im not sure what I would do on one now.

Treadmills are funny things, if you time them right then you hardly need to have any "push" in your stride, just make contact for the right amount of time and the mill pushes your legs back for you.

Now you have me interested to see how I would run on one compared to normal running.

Anyone know if there are any Parkruns on a Sunday?  Would love to do them regularly but Saturday mornings just don't work for my family

Polar and footpod .

Even more so then...  footpods not much more than best guess...

A treadmill is a controlled environment. You can set the pace and the incline, my guess is that most folk leave the incline at 0. The bounce of the footboard and the ease of a controlled environment allows for apparent good results. Its a great place to start to get general running fitness up to 'speed'

But its not the right place to compare results. Saying you can ace a 10k in 40mins is one thing on a treadmill, but head into the outdoors and you will come back with your tail between your legs

Even more so then...  footpods not much more than best guess...

I don't understand, are you saying my footpod also under reads ?

I have heard many people boast about their treadmill distances but when they hit mother earth they are nowhere to be seen after a mere 500 meters .

Anyone know if there are any Parkruns on a Sunday?  Would love to do them regularly but Saturday mornings just don't work for my family

Unfortunately not. There is a global rule for all parkruns that they are run on a Saturday morning at 8am.

If you want to get points and runs logged then you can do what they call freedom runs where you run the route timed and then manually log it. That can be done at any time but then you lose the whole vibe and safety in numbers side of things.

Personally my parkrun cant be run as a freedom run because it is just far too dangerous to run with less than 5 people that will stick together.

I'm also faster on the road than the treadmill.

Actually I hate the treadmill with all my heart.

:wacko:

I have heard many people boast about their treadmill distances but when they hit mother earth they are nowhere to be seen after a mere 500 meters .

That has been my experience too.

I put more value in the footpod than I do in the treadmill. If the treadmill is on a high speed its counting mileage even when you are mid stride with both feet off the ground. The footpod is registering your actual efforts rather than the treadmill's effort.

I'm just saying that the same effort on a treadmill will give a faster pace.  You are actually confirming the logic of this - treadmill running is simply easier - the surface springs back in a way tarmac definitely doesn't, there is no wind resistance etc etc etc.  So yes, I am saying your footpod needs a little calibrating if you say based on your experience a person will run 1minute a km faster on the road than they manage on the treadmill...

Anyone know if there are any Parkruns on a Sunday? Would love to do them regularly but Saturday mornings just don't work for my family

Pork runs are the same every where in the world..8am on a Saturday.

It annoys me they are so late..but they catering for people just wanting to be healthy...I enjoy ours because it's a flat course and therefore good for some speed work...but I need to run there and back to make it worthwhile

Archived