Training in Heart Rate Zones - HELP!

Hi there Hubbers!

I've recently bought myself a Garmin Edge 810 with Heart Rate Monitor ect.

After doing some research I see that to determine your Max Heart rate you must use the formula 220 - minus age? So that means my Max Heart Rate is 190.

I've done a few rides where I go to 195bpm, which means the calculations is incorrect on the Garmin.

I went to the Garmin Connect website where you can fill in your Heart Rate Zones, but I'm not sure how accurate this is and if I put in the correct BPM at the correct zone.

I want to start a new training plan with heart rate zones but can figure out which ones is correct?

Does my explanation make any sense?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

P.S - I'm a afrikaans boytjie so sorry for the bad english!

Edited by Riaanoster

Hi there Hubbers!

After doing some research I see that to determine your Max Heart rate you must use the formula 220 - minus age? So that means my Max Heart Rate is 190.

I've done a few rides where I go to 195bpm, which means the calculations is incorrect on the Garmin.

I went to the Garmin Connect website where you can fill in your Heart Rate Zones, but I'm not sure how accurate this is and if I put in the correct BPM at the correct zone.

I want to start a new training plan with heart rate zones but can figure out which ones is correct?

That forumla is an estimate and its often wrong.

You have to do a proper test to find out what you max HR is.

You can do this test yourself to get a better idea:

http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/S6MaxHeartRateTests.htm

220-age isn't 100% accurate. I also overshoot mine by a good10-15BPM.

I have tried zone training using a Bryton 40 but the damn thing just kept beeping because i can't keep it in the range. Gave up after that. 

That sums me up perfectly, I get up to 80% quite fast and can stay there for long time.

Its really hard for me to stay in a lower zone.

You spent all the money on this Garmin. Now pay a little extra and get a proper assessment done to determine your training zones. Don't waste your time with silly formulas that are more often wrong than right and are not helpful even when they are right.

You need to determine your lactate threshold.

Riaan, daardie formula werk glad nie (net soos die formula om jou Body Mass Index te kry ook nie werk nie)

Doen 'n search, die onderwerp is al verskeie kere bespreek, die laaste keer nogal onlangs ook.

Kry daardie thread, lees dit en jy sal baie wys word daaruit.

My max is suppose to be 184 but i sometimes goes as high as 192. I figure as long as its not for long durations and you are not feeling crap it is all good.  

That sums me up perfectly, I get up to 80% quite fast and can stay there for long time.

Its really hard for me to stay in a lower zone.

I am almost always in the 80%-90% area.

This is my cape town cycle tour stats from garmin.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/715134296

My avg heart rate was 91% of Max and my Max was 104% of my supposed Max.

I am at the moment trying to train at harder gears but at lower heart rate cause it would be awesome to be doing to have high speeds / power output and still have lots of reserve in the heart tank.

Edited by JoeZipp

Ander opsie is doen 'n MMP (max minute power) toets op die wattbike by enige Virgin Active. Die Wattbike website gee dan vir jou "training zones". Dit is op drywing (watt) gebaseer is. Ry dan so paar minute daarna op die wattbike in elke "zone" totdat jou hartklop stabiliseer en memoriseer dit of skryf dit neer.

You spent all the money on this Garmin. Now pay a little extra and get a proper assessment done to determine your training zones. Don't waste your time with silly formulas that are more often wrong than right and are not helpful even when they are right.

You need to determine your lactate threshold.

Where can I do a proper test?

Where can I do a proper test?

Many places offer this service.

Personally I went to Gary Beneke. Helped me a great deal. Also he is a very nice guy and wicked cyclist.

Get proper tests done, you bought a nice training tool, now use it, otherwise you can give it to someone els and use a cateye.

Johann Raadt: 071 5093463

Where do you stay, he can help you in Gauteng.

He will do a extensive test on you and help you with everything. Max hr, lactic hr(with blood),power threshold test, your lungs, do a proper bike setup all those things that lets you know you are not in as good shape as you think. Nice guy, knows what he is talking about and very well priced. Tl

Howdy

Sports Science Institute at Newlands can also do the test for you.

I swear by HR training for what I do.. One thing you have to get used to is the fact that when your program says stay low, you have to, and any buddies you're riding with will leave you behind...

Tom

Hi there Hubbers!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/148943-maximum-heart-rate-and-heart-zone-calculation-basics/