[Event] Nissan Trailseeker #2 Grabouw

WesselvdWalt

Guys,

Apologies, we made some unforeseen last minute changes on Friday because of:

1. Hectic mud area in the farm
  2. a movie set in the Cape Pine forest that did not want us coming close (set built on route)
  3. Harvesting that have destroyed a singletrack section so we had to divert around it.

Last change occurred just before 19:00 on Friday.
There was no time to remap it, we thought we might be 2km out in total.

Final distance was 75km (think you need to ride a bit straighter  :whistling:  - save distance  ^_^  )

At least you got some lost distance back from Helderberg! :thumbup:  :ph34r:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was part of the 40km also.  I almost got caught.  Went for it not knowing about it at speed and almost got thrown over. That would not have been a nice swim. Some other riders behind me also saw that I almost went for a swim and tried other lines.

Haha, I hit that puddle so hard, I had a wall of water up to my chest. My phone got completely drenched, and my shock bottomed out, but somehow I managed to cling on while getting spat out on the other side of the dam. I was sopping wet after that incident. I just laughed as I heard the folks behind me start dragging tyres trying to stop. I was bombing down that road doing around 40ish kph... :eek:

Great event, I knew it was going to be tough, on 65KM I had this sinking feeling it was another 10KM, I saw the guys dying in those last 5KM, like its only an extra 8% or so but it kills.Always expect a bit extra in MTB events.

Some dude was next to me in the start shoot, no gloves or arm warmers, as we descended into the valley my Garmin resisted -2.6 degrees, I felt so sorry for him.

If we already have the board and our seeding is the same do we have to register on the day? Im happy to forgo the red socks.

Well done Nissan Trailers, great event, I can you you over compensated with the route markings, great job 

Had an awesome race in the marathon, finished 18th overall and 3rd in subvets, 3h51.

I was trying a Swift EvilTwin for the race, what a great bike. Got the demo from the store on the Friday evening, put the seat up a bit and raced it on Saturday morning.

Nothing more soul destroying than getting to the 70km mark and knowing you are nowhere near the venue, we all had to dig deep. The route was amazing though and very well marked. I laughed at some corners that had like 5 route markings pointing where to go.

I also had -2 degrees on my garmin. I had finger-less gloves on and my hands were frozen. I went into a few corners pulling the brakes and my hands hadn't actually touched the levers. I had no feeling in my hands and completely missed the levers and was pulling on nothing. Strange feeling. 

Someone called me out for littering on the course, if you are a hubber, apologies it was completely by mistake. My bar was still wrapped in the wrapping when I dropped it, It wasn't an empty wrapper. I really needed to eat at that point and accidentally dropped it... I always stash my trash, it is really important. Thank you for calling me out though.

Some pics of me from the Trailseeker face book page.

post-41053-0-90687600-1435574320_thumb.jpgpost-41053-0-15572900-1435574321_thumb.jpgpost-41053-0-07561600-1435574325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donovan Le Cok

I see Strava reckons that I did 719m of elevation for the half marathon.  Who else did the half, and what does your data say?

BTW, this was my longest MTB race so far.  But I need to find out why my lower back is killing me.  I reckon my bike frame is too small.

Edited by Moridin

I see Strava reckons that I did 719m of elevation for the half marathon.  Who else did the half, and what does your data say?

BTW, this was my longest MTB race so far.  But I need to find out why my lower back is killing me.  I reckon my bike frame is too small.

Moridin, lower back pain is quite common, especially if this was your longest race. It could have been from all the climbing. It can be caused by a number of things but having a good setup done should help. A frame that is too big can also cause it, rather than the frame being too small.

A weak core can also be a contributing factor. You shift around and use a lot more muscles on a Mtb. 

I dropped down from 70 to 40 which measured 37.3km and Ascent was 640m. This was recorded on Polar V800. The guys I rode with also had the exact same on their devises.

After reading comments, thank the good lord I dropped down. I have been out with injuries so to be back on the track was just fab.  Big Ups to Wessel and his team. Smiles all round and thanks to USN and the Water tables, Doughnuts was champion :clap:  

Edited by T-Bag68

wow, what an awesome idea...do other rides allow you to do this ?

I'm currently doing this with Advendurance to add that extra help out on rout with them For the Trailseeker series in CPT and PTA and also adding the Dual X to the events we do for them with sweeps etc. We have a good relationship with them and trying to add value to their races. 

Had an awesome race in the marathon, finished 18th overall and 3rd in subvets, 3h51.

I was trying a Swift EvilTwin for the race, what a great bike. Got the demo from the store on the Friday evening, put the seat up a bit and raced it on Saturday morning.

Nothing more soul destroying than getting to the 70km mark and knowing you are nowhere near the venue, we all had to dig deep. The route was amazing though and very well marked. I laughed at some corners that had like 5 route markings pointing where to go.

I also had -2 degrees on my garmin. I had finger-less gloves on and my hands were frozen. I went into a few corners pulling the brakes and my hands hadn't actually touched the levers. I had no feeling in my hands and completely missed the levers and was pulling on nothing. Strange feeling. 

Someone called me out for littering on the course, if you are a hubber, apologies it was completely by mistake. My bar was still wrapped in the wrapping when I dropped it, It wasn't an empty wrapper. I really needed to eat at that point and accidentally dropped it... I always stash my trash, it is really important. Thank you for calling me out though.

Some pics of me from the Trailseeker face book page.

attachicon.gif11061965_931979433528989_4934977295211832432_n.jpgattachicon.gif11350475_931979740195625_8819773888909198057_n.jpgattachicon.gif10985043_931979780195621_1242535956446868519_n.jpg

Congrats on doing this and then still having it in the legs to win yesterday's Lebanon race!

Yeah, I did the 40km and my Garmin showed 37,6km and 691m elevation...

One question though...

If you did the 1st race (helderberg) we're you supposed to get a free entry to Grabouw because of the misshap in helderberg or have I got this completely wrong?

One question though...

If you did the 1st race (helderberg) we're you supposed to get a free entry to Grabouw because of the misshap in helderberg or have I got this completely wrong?

Depends if you did the half or the full marathon. If you did the full marathon yes. Talking under correction.

What's the story with the results?

Did the 70 (5) and finished in 4:47 but my name is not included in the results - the guy scanning the board seemed to have issues with my number but another guy wrote down the details.

I sure didn't endure that amount of pain not to at least get my seeding up..............

Edited by TwoBob