What's your funniest or scariest (without consequence) incident when riding alone

Blackheart

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for me there's two skrikking moments that stand out one funnier than the other. ..

Riding along one one the higher trails at Giba gorge. Heard a rustling coming up on my left at about waist height, next Thing I know a black mamba is using my front wheel as support to cross gap and continue down the slope....I became cavindesh for 50m.get nervous whenever I return to that spot.

2nd life threatening encounter was also at Giba gorge up by shaya moya, came around a corner and thought very cool as I noticed monitor lizard spoor traveling in the same direction as me...took another corner and there was this lizard about 1.5m long and 1.5m away . travelling in my direction now at a brisk pace.

In my rush to uncleat and attempt to back up I got tangled in my bike and fell down the rather steep slope as those that have ridden there will know, thankfully a enough foliage stopped me from a long fall.

I know stay in the gauteng and tend to stress more about other scaly types.

Instinctively I curled up into the foetal position where I had fallen and closed my eyes hoping they wouldn't run over me.

Sorry bu I had a good chuckle of your description and of events. I'm sure it was proper scary but another top story.

Commuting home, I cross a railway bridge.

One Friday afternoon, we knocked off early. As I get to the top of the bridge, I see a troop of baboons hanging out on side of the road where the bridge descends.

Most of the group notices me, and moves away from the road. One of the adolescents is lost in thought, busy with his own thing, right on the edge of the road.

As I come up next to this youngster, he notices me and get the skrik of his life. Jumps close to a meter into the air and tumbles down the embankment, screaming something terrible.

Realised that staying on the bike while curling up with laughter is a much neglected technical skill.

was about two years ago. On a bit of a downhill there was a ditch at the bottom. Since I was at speed, I thought trust your bike and hop over it, turned out that its not all about the bike after all. lovely OTB swan dive, took out left break lever with leg and fell on a rock with arm. Was up in a flash to check if bike was ok, then if no one saw me and then I saw the blood. got back on on, rode to the dr rooms, got stitched and back home. Had a lot of explaining to do to the missus and was grounded for two weeks.

I was riding past the Lion park late one afternoon in the Cradle, and just as my mind started to wonder with that "Imagine if these lions get out and chase me, I will definitely set a PR up this hill...." at that very moment a warthog came running out of the sewer pipe and ran at me.

My mind just thought LIOOONNNN and I screamed like a little girl at the top of my voice, much to the delight of the security guards that are positioned there.... :mellow:

Rode over a huge black snake at the entrance to the first singletrack section at Holla - Purple, with RyanPmb directly behind me.

I didn't even register... :clap:  :clap:

I believe i heard a shout behind me....

was about two years ago. On a bit of a downhill there was a ditch at the bottom. Since I was at speed, I thought trust your bike and hop over it, turned out that its not all about the bike after all. lovely OTB swan dive, took out left break lever with leg and fell on a rock with arm. Was up in a flash to check if bike was ok, then if no one saw me and then I saw the blood. got back on on, rode to the dr rooms, got stitched and back home. Had a lot of explaining to do to the missus and was grounded for two weeks.

Your story makes me think of back in high school (boy that was a long time ago) my friend who lived over the road and I got into this whole mountain biking thing.

Anyway, we, like typical teenage boys, liked showing off our bikes and what we thought was our phenomenal skills. So, we had our bikes at school, and after school were showing off and decided to try ride down the stairs. Now mind you, we had never tried this in our lives before that this point, and we decide we can both fit on the stairs together. We make it down maybe 3 stairs and our handlebars get tangled up and we go over the bars and come to a crashing halt in an indistinguishable pile of limbs and bikes. We had superficial wounds, but there was a lot of blood from all the nicks and cuts. At this point we decide it is probably best if we go home now, and we ride off home, we go in at his place and, coincidentally, my mother is visiting his mother and they both freak out at the sight of their bloodied sons...

We were also in a bit of trouble over that one...haha.

Guess I'll ad mine, many moons ago in High School I cycled to school. Heading home one day on my trusty 12 speed I popped up the front wheel onto the curb heading into a big circle, then hear this loud crack sound. I had just enough time to think Wha...? before my chin connected with the toptube first and the ground second.

After what felt like an eternity the blazing pain started to fade a bit, I look to the right and see my front wheel next to the bike, the fork had snapped clean off at the bottom of the steerer tube. Knocked about 7 teeth loose and had an instantly swollen lower half of my face.

How I have never broken anything is beyond me.

I was riding past the Lion park late one afternoon in the Cradle, and just as my mind started to wonder with that "Imagine if these lions get out and chase me, I will definitely set a PR up this hill...." at that very moment a warthog came running out of the sewer pipe and ran at me.

My mind just thought LIOOONNNN and I screamed like a little girl at the top of my voice, much to the delight of the security guards that are positioned there.... :mellow:

I think I just wet myself..... :lol:

Lucky busttard......you saw the endangered and very scares post-marriage funky monkey........

Wrong. It was the double breasted mattress thrasher out of its natural environment

Similar experience - riding past those lions one of them started to run alongside me looking at me. I glanced up and noticed that the gate that the lion was running towards was open!! My heart leapt through my gullet and then I saw that just beyond the open gate was another fenced in area. For that split second I actually thought that the lion was busting out. 

Riding along a jeep track with thick bush on either side when I come around a corner and saw a car parked. A women was lying on the bonnet with her "boyfriend", pants around his ankles, doing his thing. They realised I was there and a comical scene followed as he pulled up his pants and she pulled down her skirt. They were obviously in a hurry to start and had left both their doors open which meant I could not get past, so I had to ask him close his door so I could get past and he could continue where he left off -- there were very sheepish grins and not much eye-contact all round.

Fast ST section on Bottelary Hills, through a dip, over a bridge and then a quick left hander....except the left hander didnt really take place...tree approaching...decided to put it down...went sliding into the Mr. Tree...used my crank blade to see how strong the bark of the tree was...oh and my wind fell out somewhere in those split seconds...layed there for a bit groaning like a poofter...laughed...got back up....caried on smashing the same ST! lol

A few years ago I cycled in the green area in Edenvale/Sebenza  (-26.118636, 28.180559)

I heard from locals that it was not very safe to ride there alone as the area was known for muggings.....

I did not see anybody but when I suddenly felt this sharp pain in my inner thigh - I thought somebody shot me.

I stopped to check if there was blood and as my foot touched the ground I realised that I was being electrocuted by the static from the overhead powerlines. The cleat  completed the circuit.

Luckily I could get back on and rode away from danger.

A few month later during a race in the east of PTA / Cornwall Hill, the same thing happened.

There was a thread on the Hub regarding this. What was strange to me is that other people who rode next to me was not affected at all..... must be all the titanium in my body.

I rode out on the tar to Lion Park (between Pmb and Dbn) once. You often find buck and zebra running around there. I even once saw a rhino by the side of the road lying under a tree. I was about 5km from Lion Park when suddenly off to my left behind me, and heading straight for me was a lioness in full hunting sprint. To say I kakked myself is putting it mildly. I took off like a lunatic and was expecting her claws to sink into my back at any second. I turned around after 30 seconds and saw a bemused Boerbul looking down the road at me. True story

Archived