Maintenance of Bike brands

Fauret

The funride mtb season is coming up and we will al see the average joe's (like myself) on their carbon horses, some of which is the best the market has to offer. Now don't get me wrong if i had the money i would also love to push myself to the limits on a Spez Epic WC, Scott Spark Rc, Santa Cruz Tallboy or Trek superfly (just to name a few)

What interests me is that when a oke decides to upgrade and set himself a budget (lets say +/- R70 000), does he take the maintenance cost of the specific bike into calculation. For example, I'm a full on Scott fan, but after doing the Spez #testthebest in jonkers I was in love with the Epic WC, the only reason for me to not set my sights on an upgrade to it was the fact that i think that the epic will cost more to maintain than say a spark RC (i may be wrong).

So my question to my fellow hubbers is, what brand specific technology(not group sets) needs the most maintenance in terms of cost. Eg. spez brain suspension VS cannondale's lefty just to name a few. I know all these bikes has a patented piece of tech on it so which costs the most to maintain?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a major service + the brain suspension service on my Epic just before Sabie this year. Dropped my bike off at CC in Bryanston on the Monday morning got it back the Wednesday afternoon.

(CC had to send the fork & shock to Spez in Stellenbosch to get serviced)

Fork Service - R1635.00

Shock Rear Service -  R1225.00

Did a major service + the brain suspension service on my Epic just before Sabie this year. Dropped my bike off at CC in Bryanston on the Monday morning got it back the Wednesday afternoon.

Fork Service - R1635.00

How often do you have to do this kinda service? Once a year? Twice a year?

Fork Service - R1635.00

A lot of money. Crazy

How often do you have to do this kinda service? Once a year? Twice a year?

First service after 50 hours, second after 150 hours. After that, once a year.

Fork Service - R1635.00

EINA!!!

First service after 50 hours, second after 150 hours. After that, once a year.

Thanks David. Looking at getting an Epic at the end of the year. Need to way up all my options. 

Like everything - it depends how much you use it/ride it and how serious you are. Normally it starts as a hobby and develops in to a full blown wallet eating obsession.

Any top end machine uses another vendors group set, so you are on the hook for wear and tear of the group which is related to where you ride, how you ride and how much you weigh etc. So a fat boy like me riding a muddy race will do in a complete chain, possibly some back cogs, some brakes etc. You get the idea. No change from R5k on that 4 hour ride after you have repaired the bike.

If you are stupid enough to buy XTR (and I was) then you are on the hook for a lot more when you wear things out like chains/clusters/rings/derailleurs (ripped two off) than SLX.

If you want the Specialized World Cup you are in a league where maintenance of the machine wont really worry you. Its like the Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini of MTB.

You need to service any fork, and on any full suspension MTB the pivots wear out and the cables stretch. So you will always end up needing a service. Some more than others. Brains are fancy cutting edge tech....

Point is - its not really a function of brand of the the machine,  after a certain point as all full suspension carbon fibre race ready machines cost a truck load to maintain.

Then there's the aspect of the hours of training you put in for the multi day race, and as a result the last thing you want is a mechanical to take you out, so you basically do preventative maintenance on everything 2 weeks before the event.... That is a big bill.

MTB is just expensive - no shoe string budgets for you if you are in the multi day carbon dual suspension brigade of riders. Look at how much you start spending on shorts - only the best bibs, chamois cream etc. never mind entry fees.

I am getting depressed typing this

Like everything - it depends how much you use it/ride it and how serious you are. Normally it starts as a hobby and develops in to a full blown wallet eating obsession.

Any top end machine uses another vendors group set, so you are on the hook for wear and tear of the group which is related to where you ride, how you ride and how much you weigh etc. So a fat boy like me riding a muddy race will do in a complete chain, possibly some back cogs, some brakes etc. You get the idea. No change from R5k on that 4 hour ride after you have repaired the bike.

If you are stupid enough to buy XTR (and I was) then you are on the hook for a lot more when you wear things out like chains/clusters/rings/derailleurs (ripped two off) than SLX.

If you want the Specialized World Cup you are in a league where maintenance of the machine wont really worry you. Its like the Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini of MTB.

You need to service any fork, and on any full suspension MTB the pivots wear out and the cables stretch. So you will always end up needing a service. Some more than others. Brains are fancy cutting edge tech....

Point is - its not really a function of brand of the the machine,  after a certain point as all full suspension carbon fibre race ready machines cost a truck load to maintain.

Then there's the aspect of the hours of training you put in for the multi day race, and as a result the last thing you want is a mechanical to take you out, so you basically do preventative maintenance on everything 2 weeks before the event.... That is a big bill.

MTB is just expensive - no shoe string budgets for you if you are in the multi day carbon dual suspension brigade of riders. Look at how much you start spending on shorts - only the best bibs, chamois cream etc. never mind entry fees.

I'm thinking of switching to heroine or cocaine.  Seems WAY cheaper than this MTB habit

Totally agree with you, I'm just also curious how many guys save up for top end bike and see it as a once-off expense and not take in account the cost of maintaining such a bike..

Archived