2015 magalies monster

Runbikeswim

Proper fun - hard day out - this race shows you where you need to improve!

Had an amateur-hour type mistake in prep - didnt check sealant the night before - causing about 25min & 7 bombs to get home. 

Had a lekka smile on some of the downhills!

Next year - we do it all again!!!!!

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must say, I was a bit disappointed by the Monster. The constant gradient wore you down, but if you kept a good rhythm it was actually easy. 

One of the most tiring sections for me was after the Breedts descent, when we entered that game farm/lodge, where there wasn't technically a trail. The only way you knew where you were going is because the grass was shorter where you were supposed to be riding. Was slow going over that grass and rocks.  

So why were you disappointed?

Great ride..

If you don't like rocks rather stay at home :)

I enjoyed not doing the portage this year.

This is definitely an event where you want your tire pressures and suspension

dialed in for the terrain.

Well done to all that finished.

That bit where we A/B batch guys were coming down and the other batches coming up the hill was a bit daft and dangerous ... not sure why that was done. Last years race was alot more technical for me, this year all the gravel was scraped, guess it made it easier to pass people walking etc.

Had a good day, my best race result ever, all about pacing from the start. Did a 2:13 on the 45 compared to last years 2:37

Also had a good Ride and weekend.

A Roadie myself so opted for the 45 km due to the talk about the difficulty and Technical route. Unfortunately had a slow puncture causing me to stop at 35 & 40 km and took a wrong turn at the section where we were going down with the other batches coming up and followed them for a bit until it just looked to familiar and the guy next to me told me he only had halve my distance on the clock.

Still did 2:28 , so will be back for the 78 next year  but will need some work on the hills to attempts a sub 5.

Received VIP treatment in the FNB tent as well so had a blast of a day.

A Johan with the number B163. I remember because I had A163  :mellow:

They handed out tickets around prize giving which sucked for all still on route...

I hd B166 - B163 win the bike and B 164 won a Thuli rack.  :eek:

So why were you disappointed?

I expected a brutally long and difficult climb, but it wasn't that bad. Again, with a good rhythm, it was fine. 

I expected a brutally long and difficult climb, but it wasn't that bad. Again, with a good rhythm, it was fine. 

I agree, the first climb with loose rock and sand was tougher than the monster which wasn't  that bad. 

So the pre-race route briefing video said that the route would be 2-3km LESS than last year which was 77km. (Making it ~75km), Max Cluer was announcing at the start that route would be 78km. (OK, back to the old distance) then we ride 80.16km.

What's up with that?

Is it really impossible to know the distance of the final route? Can nobody ride it with a GPS on a motorbike the day before the race so we know what we're in for?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind riding 80km but I think that if the race organiser is going to quote a route distance then it should at least be accurate.

What do you guys think?

So the pre-race route briefing video said that the route would be 2-3km LESS than last year which was 77km. (Making it ~75km), Max Cluer was announcing at the start that route would be 78km. (OK, back to the old distance) then we ride 80.16km.

What's up with that?

Is it really impossible to know the distance of the final route? Can nobody ride it with a GPS on a motorbike the day before the race so we know what we're in for?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind riding 80km but I think that if the race organiser is going to quote a route distance then it should at least be accurate.

What do you guys think?

I have to say I noticed the extra distance on my GPS but did not really mind because that part from where the 45km joined up with us was an absolute blast. That last 10km or so was brilliant! And I have to compliment the 45km riders. Thank you for the way your rode (moving to the left, keeping a nice pace on the little concrete path/wall, etc). It was a pleasure riding with everyone!

What's up with that?

What do you guys think?

Not too fussed.

I think you should always be prepared for a variation in the official race distance. I don't think the extra 2km's pushed anyone to the brink of death. It may be more of a mental challenge if you're already exhausted and you see you've past 78km, but you're nowhere near the finish. 

To be honest, I won't ride this "race" again.  Is it supposed to be fun or an unending sufferfest? 

Was ANY preparation of the course done by the organisers? I have never seen so many people walking DOWNHILL, which should be a clear indication that the route needed some work.

We rode the 45km and we caught the 75km guys in a few minutes; guys were already walking within the first few km's.

The routing was completely horrendous - I understand that the same route needs to be shared between the various distances but WHY double a race back on itself?

We faced 45km race guys coming UP the same jeeptrack we were descending - that's really not good enough - and then we crossed over their path to ride along the dam.

Due to all the confusion and poor marking, I had to stop more than once and try figure out where the heck the route was. 

In addition, I got lost after taking a simple wrong turn close to the finish - this was due to having outbound and inbound route markers within 25m of one another.  Surely, you should not be able to see the outbound markers while riding the inbound route?

Lastly, the sponsors at the finish did a fantastic job, particularly fnb, rehydrate etc.  A truly crappy day on the bike was almost made up for by the great finish and post-race atmosphere. 

To be honest, I won't ride this "race" again.  Is it supposed to be fun or an unending sufferfest? 

Was ANY preparation of the course done by the organisers? I have never seen so many people walking DOWNHILL, which should be a clear indication that the route needed some work.

We rode the 45km and we caught the 75km guys in a few minutes; guys were already walking within the first few km's.

The routing was completely horrendous - I understand that the same route needs to be shared between the various distances but WHY double a race back on itself?

We faced 45km race guys coming UP the same jeeptrack we were descending - that's really not good enough - and then we crossed over their path to ride along the dam.

Due to all the confusion and poor marking, I had to stop more than once and try figure out where the heck the route was. 

In addition, I got lost after taking a simple wrong turn close to the finish - this was due to having outbound and inbound route markers within 25m of one another.  Surely, you should not be able to see the outbound markers while riding the inbound route?

Lastly, the sponsors at the finish did a fantastic job, particularly fnb, rehydrate etc.  A truly crappy day on the bike was almost made up for by the great finish and post-race atmosphere. 

I also got confused where doubled back on the 45 km route and actually turned right and and carried on for a while until I realised my mistale.

There was a few sections where the downhills needed skill to go down and I assumed a person tackling the 75(78)(80) would have those skills but we also passed some of the guys doing the 75 km that started 20 minutes ahead of us still going up the hill at around 7/8 km into the route. So I would say there were people that were not ready for the route and maybe the organisers must look at a minimum seeding for the 75 to ensure you do not have someone doing 9 hours on the route.

I would definitely be back next year. Did the 45 km with my coil spring fork and now no longer sure if I should get an air shock.

I did the 45 and had a blast. Rode with a friend that suffered a bit, but didn't mind to wait for him every now and again. I used that time to take in the vibe, have a chat with other riders and hand out some of my cramp ease, which luckily I didn't need. Was the first proper ride I did on my newly built up bike and damn did she perform. :clap:

Will be back next year to do the full monster and aim for a good time.

post-26739-0-21339500-1432539293_thumb.jpg

Was one of the last in on the 80km....started cramping around an hour in on the mini monster....not fun, cramped all the way....team mate dragged me to the finish, wouldn't let me quit....Not fun...if someone had wanted a bike while i was on course they could have had it with pleasure....

@Gen i was the CHOC Cow that started with you guys

Hey there.. sjoe long day in the saddle. We sat at the finish line waiting for you guys, but eventually hubby started getting stiff so we made our way back to the accommodation.

Well done on finishing[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] you guys have great spirit.

I took the role as official COW herder... :lol:

I wasn't finished till the cows came home! :thumbup:

@ TK - We signed up together we finish together... met some great people along the way. All friendly all helpful - even if just for a chat... :P

My 5th done and dusted (4 x 45 with best result last year 11th and now my first 80) and must say love the new route no more waiting at the river or big delays and bottlenecks.  Due to not doing any racing for the last year and only having one easy event counting towards my seeding I started in D and still managed a well sub 5 and just over 100th overall (not a great result I know but still with all that traffic the route still allowed me to get through to where I finished).

My only gripe is the late start but also understand that there are lots of people only driving through on the morning of the event.

This is a PROPER MTB race, nice technically challenging at times and good hard climbs and descents with a good amount of ascent over the 80ks.

If you are looking for your first race, go and do the trailseeker at Tygervalley or Cornwall or even Cullinan (flat, fast and district or district type road most of the way).  This is not for beginners or whingers or the unprepared.

I have found that if you are unprepared for a proper race you are normally the first to complain afterwards (not always but very often).

So if you did not enjoy it, due to the route being too tough or "unprepped" I suggest you get some training and skills practise in before attempting it again.

I loved it and will be back next year to shave some serious time off this year's.

Well done to all involved in organising another cracker and also to all who finished!

Archived