2015 magalies monster

Runbikeswim

Wasn't that the first race on the 29r?

Yup.

Monster climb isn't that fun on a 29er HT, those grass tufts were nasty trying to keep traction on the back wheel.

But judging by my downhill speeds, I'm sure I've just about convinced it to descend like the dual 26er :D

The KOM on "Oom Piets Descent" proves this... :P

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing my first Monster this year. Realize need a lot more hill training before I take on the monster!!

Luckily switch over from old bike to new dual suspension recently. Now just needs time on the saddle and practice climbing for a few hour!!!

Will be my 5th this year. Did the 45 all previous years topping out the top 10 last year so also time to do the 80 this year.

Only 2 problems really. 1 is the portage by the river that is a drag and 2 I am always extremely thirsty afterwards!!!

I have however found several solutions to the latter :)

The thirst just gets more intense every single year... usually starts around the last 5km towards the finish and the hydration point is only reached around 3:00 the next morning.... very tough race  :whistling:

Monster is the week after sani2c...perfect training...followed by a week of taper...smash it

What is this word taper....... Is it something that comes with age :whistling:

Done virtually all the MM since the first one (The first 2 we got lots of free beer afterwards....those wee the days). Don't think the race gets any easier.

The Monster is only about 4 things. Rocks, Sand, Hills and Beer...... I expect to get into the top 10 on the last one :thumbup:

I did this race (the 45km) 4 years ago as my one of my first MTB races the year I started MTB'ing. Man this race messed me up solid. I had no idea it could be that tough. I will be back this year in much better shape and actually able to handle the technical climbs. Cant wait.

Does the terrain compare to places such as Avianto and Heia? Loose over hardpack and those stretches of marble sized pebbles?

Does the terrain compare to places such as Avianto and Heia? Loose over hardpack and those stretches of marble sized pebbles?

BEEG ROCKS, no pebbles, loose sand also, its not a paved way to the end thats for sure,

you going to feel it in your bones when you are done

Yip..

And cramps in your forearms and fingers from holding onto the brakes on some of the down hill sections

Make sure the fillings in your teeth have new cement!

So, suspension setup will play a big role? Soft enough to save your dental work, but stiff enough that you don't bob up and down on the climbs.

BEEG ROCKS, no pebbles, loose sand also, its not a paved way to the end thats for sure,

you going to feel it in your bones when you are done

Naha there are pebbles I have proof post-39623-1427725169,798.jpg

It is rough..... but not so bad....  Dual is cool.   I was passed by Diver Nick on SS. and alot before me   H T F U  !!!

Make a good weekend of it and enjoy!!!!

Were those stuck in your skin? :eek:

Yip.. I think 9 stitches later.. [emoji31] even scratched one out 3 weeks after the fall .. brain farts happen when you try chase your husband downhill[emoji35] the pic of the arm I won't post again.. unless you are planning on giving up food for the week[emoji23]

The more I read this thread the more I worry. Doing the marathon

I got a 26er hardtail ( Momsem Al126 - so not light and terrible fork), It is on 1x9 and I am not as fit as I was a few months back (new baby takes training time) 

But I entered and I am committed so guess its bite my tongue and get some time in the saddle in the next few weeks.

I may shave my legs to get me a few seconds on the downhills.

If any of you have supporters please ask them to keep a chilled beer for me on the climbs. I will probably be walking faster than I could ride it

The more I read this thread the more I worry. Doing the marathon

I got a 26er hardtail ( Momsem Al126 - so not light and terrible fork), It is on 1x9 and I am not as fit as I was a few months back (new baby takes training time)

But I entered and I am committed so guess its bite my tongue and get some time in the saddle in the next few weeks.

I may shave my legs to get me a few seconds on the downhills.

If any of you have supporters please ask them to keep a chilled beer for me on the climbs. I will probably be walking faster than I could ride it

Lol

. It's not terrible the monster climb, just seems never ending.. but the vibe is so cool everyone encouraging each other really nice had a couple of chats along the way. And all those I chatted with stopped to help after I fell.. probably stayed with me for 10-15min, the more I told them that I am okay they must go yhe more they said nah we stay here till you are okay.. strapped me up gave, rode on to my hubby to tell him I am okay.. found the medics and sent them to me.. really awesome people.. for that alone it is worth going.

Archived