Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

we complain like hell when trirock route short, not a peep when IM route is short :) ...

With the IMSA course everyone is praying for it to be shorter.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they stated on more than once that it is 180.2km

The 70.3 route was 2km longer according to my garmin in East-Londen.

Maybe they made that up in PE :blush:

So, what do you do to keep base up? If at all?

1. Do you let it slide through winter (ala DaveM's "cross training at the dinner table :D ) and start over in spring hoping something remains?

2. Do you try to do some training when the opportunity arises, just to keep active?

3. Do you have a calculated plan/distances going on through the winter?

I certainly want to do some form of strength training as I've gone without even core/ab training up to now. I'd also like to stay up at half IM distances if possible, but don't know if this is naive...

Got the green light to enter for next year

DaveM - the route change was out at the back of the cycle route.

If you remember when we got to the top of the hill we took a right and then the left which put us on that long downhill with all the speed bumps (those that Garfield always moans about)

the new section effectively cut out all those speed bumps. The new section did have a few but they were nowhere near as bad as last year

That right hand bend that everyone is talking about was seriously scary if taken too fast

Got the green light to enter for next year

DaveM - the route change was out at the back of the cycle route.

If you remember when we got to the top of the hill we took a right and then the left which put us on that long downhill with all the speed bumps (those that Garfield always moans about)

the new section effectively cut out all those speed bumps. The new section did have a few but they were nowhere near as bad as last year

That right hand bend that everyone is talking about was seriously scary if taken too fast

Aha. So we (Garf) bitch about the speed bumps because they are too dangerous and so they change the course and that is too dangerous as well.

Reminds of when I was learning to drive, my dad always emphasised that only go the speed that  you can stop in the distance that you can see.

Applies to cycling too. If there are sharp corners because that is where the road goes, then ride at the appropriate pace. If you are not aware of the course and where you are on it and you just go all in, expect to get a fright when the turn comes up.

The race organisers can help by putting up signage approaching the sharp corners to help with the warning, but it is still the riders responsibility.

Do you want Nascar or Formula 1 racing?

Aha. So we (Garf) bitch about the speed bumps because they are too dangerous and so they change the course and that is too dangerous as well.

Reminds of when I was learning to drive, my dad always emphasised that only go the speed that  you can stop in the distance that you can see.

Applies to cycling too. If there are sharp corners because that is where the road goes, then ride at the appropriate pace. If you are not aware of the course and where you are on it and you just go all in, expect to get a fright when the turn comes up.

The race organisers can help by putting up signage approaching the sharp corners to help with the warning, but it is still the riders responsibility.

Do you want Nascar or Formula 1 racing?

I saw a couple of guys wiping out there, even on the second lap... thing is we rarely practice braking on bicycles and when you on the tri bars and moving along at 60 kays an hour you don't actually realize how difficult it is to slow down a bicycle. The camber of the road also was not helpful. in fairness to the organisers they did warn us about this at the briefing and we were well warned on the route as well..however a number of guys still overshot the corner.

ultimately, with the warnings etc, its absolutely the cyclists responsibility.... on the first lap I nearly got taken out by another athlete who had underestimated the corner and cut across my bows into the bushes.... if I was one metre further along I would of been t boned and probably out the race.

• 4 weeks later...

TT bikes are not made for cornering.  At the Argus they have guys blowing whistles at dangerous corners.  Not worth messing up your whole race (and 9 months training) for a few seconds.

My issue with the speed bumps was that we were not warned upfront (or not in my race briefing in any case).  So what followed was that everyone's bombs, bottles and a lot of other stuff came off and was scattered all over the road.

My German friend who came all the way from waaait for it... Germany lost his spare tubbie there without knowing it.  10km later he punctured and it was race over.  He walked 5km back to the hotel and obviously the spares vehicle did not find him as I assume they where busy helping other okes who also lost their spares.

Obviously next year will be different as we now know what to expect.  I really believe the PE municipality can use some of the millions from tourism that IM brings in to re-tar some of the roads (or at least the half we use!).

It is incredible what a difference a smooth road makes in terms of overall race experience.

TT bikes are not made for cornering.  At the Argus they have guys blowing whistles at dangerous corners.  Not worth messing up your whole race (and 9 months training) for a few seconds.

My issue with the speed bumps was that we were not warned upfront (or not in my race briefing in any case).  So what followed was that everyone's bombs, bottles and a lot of other stuff came off and was scattered all over the road.

My German friend who came all the way from waaait for it... Germany lost his spare tubbie there without knowing it.  10km later he punctured and it was race over.  He walked 5km back to the hotel and obviously the spares vehicle did not find him as I assume they where busy helping other okes who also lost their spares.

Obviously next year will be different as we now know what to expect.  I really believe the PE municipality can use some of the millions from tourism that IM brings in to re-tar some of the roads (or at least the half we use!).

It is incredible what a difference a smooth road makes in terms of overall race experience.

I disagree that TT bikes are not made for cornering, I  thrashed my Canondale Slice around the Cape Town ITU course last year with 180 degree turns and plenty sharp corners no problems at all, its just about knowing how to ride the damn thing and not taking sharp corners with your arms resting on the pads.

I do however agree that the road surface is totally substandard for an IM event, the organizers should compel the municipality to sort this out. Perhaps as African Champs they think that roads should be of similar standard to those found in other parts of Africa.

so now it's Ironman african champs.... are there any other full ironman events on the continent?

Entered as soon as entries opened; just in case I got second thoughts later on..... Should probably start looking for a road bike...

I disagree that TT bikes are not made for cornering, I  thrashed my Canondale Slice around the Cape Town ITU course last year with 180 degree turns and plenty sharp corners no problems at all, its just about knowing how to ride the damn thing and not taking sharp corners with your arms resting on the pads.

I do however agree that the road surface is totally substandard for an IM event, the organizers should compel the municipality to sort this out. Perhaps as African Champs they think that roads should be of similar standard to those found in other parts of Africa.

TT Bikes are made for long straight line racing.  If you are on you TT bars you cannot brake for example.  Also the composition is different.  They are not designed with corners taken into consideration.  I can go around a 180 degree turn a lot faster with my road bike I can assure you!

Archived