Lower Back Pain During Ride

Hi guys, I need some advice please.

I've now been cycling about 6 weeks after a very, very extended period of no exercise. Took things slow, but I've started riding further every outing (still not very far really), but some days (like today) I start getting severe stress on my lower back, but it doesn't feel like my spine, feels like some muscle or tendon that's spazzing out and it makes the ride really uncomfortable. Usually happens on the climbs (both sitting down and standing up), as soon as it flattens out it gets better. I guess my question is; a) Is it because I was a useless person for many years and I just need to get fit again, or b) Is it bike setup, or (most likely) c) Both?

Overall I feel really good on the bike. The legs aren't crying as much as they used to, but this back thing is really spoiling it for me. It doesn't linger though, right now I'm perfectly fine, it only happens during rides, specifically climbs.

Oh! Another one, don't what it's called in English, but "milt steek", that bloody pain you get in the side of your stomach. How do I avoid that? Eat less before the ride?

Deadlifts! I also had the same problem with my back. I am doing deadlifts in the gym once a week and it is helping. Also play around with your setup can also help.

Everyone will have their own opinion but it sounds like a weak core to me. On climbs you put more power out through the legs and the core is activated more as it tries to stabilize you. Leeds to stress of the core muscles. That's why it goes away when you put out less power like on flats and so on.

Getting out the saddle and stretching on little downhills will bring some relief. As you get fitter it will also get a bit less painful but the problem there is as you get fitter it will put more Md more stress on your core. Best plan is do some core exercises. Google it. There are loads. I do yoga to help with this.

Everyone will have their own opinion but it sounds like a weak core to me. On climbs you put more power out through the legs and the core is activated more as it tries to stabilize you. Leeds to stress of the core muscles. That's why it goes away when you put out less power like on flats and so on.

Getting out the saddle and stretching on little downhills will bring some relief. As you get fitter it will also get a bit less painful but the problem there is as you get fitter it will put more Md more stress on your core. Best plan is do some core exercises. Google it. There are loads. I do yoga to help with this.

This, I still suffer a bit with it but core strengthening helps a lot.

Everyone will have their own opinion but it sounds like a weak core to me.

That's the way I was leaning as well. I guess I'll have to work on that because this is quite unpleasant.

I'll also get a bike setup done when I switch over to cleats in the next week or two. I see HotSpot Cycles are associated with Tarryn Grunewald, has anyone used her services before?

If none of the other suggestions work out, you might want to check out this article on pinkbike featuring some yoga excercises specifically catering for mountain bikers with back pain

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/short-yoga-routine-lower-back-pain-2015.html

Lower back pain is the most common complaint I hear from the biking community. It is highly prevalent and many riders who suffer don't realize that a short, simple yoga routine performed consistently could completely alleviate the pain. 

Edited by David Messem (dINGLE485)

also bert: get into the habit of stretching after rides, and as part of your core work-out.

Thanks Takums, it's advice I've received and duly ignored before :P 

If none of the other suggestions work out, you might want to check out this article on pinkbike featuring some yoga excercises specifically catering for mountain bikers with back pain

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/short-yoga-routine-lower-back-pain-2015.html

Thanks for that. And the eye-candy. 

Are your hammies also pulling a little or just below your glutes?

Not explicitly, no?

maybe if you had opened with that, we could've spent more time giving you very a well considered tongue-lashing as opposed to giving you well considered advice :P

Edited by Capricorn

I found yoga helped my core strength and flexibility allowing me to get into a much more aggressive riding position. It has also helped my balance.

I was quite skeptical about it to start with but it has made a very big difference to my cycling and General sense of well being. I can now easily touch my toes. Haven't done that in 25 years.

Thanks for that. And the eye-candy.

Not explicitly, no?

at one stage I got back pain from riding a frame on steep/long climbs from riding a frame that Was too short in the reach for me. Next thing that followed was tight hammies and then eventually cramping hammies. Finally fitted a longer stem and the problems went away very quicky.

Prior to this I have never had hammie issues, and have not had again since. I have also been active in various sports disciplines where hammies have never been a issue.

One simple thing you could try is to ride with almost nothing in you back pockets, i find that the pressure on the nerves triggers big time lower back pain for me. So ride with something then take it out and see if it gets better.

Otherwise maybe grinding a gear puts pressure on the lower back., so spin a bit more.

Good luck any pain a bike sucks!