On Test: American Classic Carbonator wheels

Iwan Kemp

Iwan and JB, agree they are sexy, gorgeous wheels.
In the market for new wheels, price tag double my budget.
Your thoughts on why they are perhaps better than normal wide lightnings or I9 ultra lights?

Iwan and JB, agree they are sexy, gorgeous wheels.

In the market for new wheels, price tag double my budget.

Your thoughts on why they are perhaps better than normal wide lightnings or I9 ultra lights?

What's the point? The aluminium Race wheels are lighter and half the price. I find them plenty durable and stiff enough.

We'll be able to give you guys an informed opinion once we've done some k's on these as we've been riding the Wide Lightnings and will have a review out on those in just over a month or so.

For now I'd say the increase in stiffness will help with wheel deflection through the rough stuff which is a big issue on 29er wheels. BUT, let's put some miles on them then we'll let you know.

What's the point? The aluminium Race wheels are lighter and half the price. I find them plenty durable and stiff enough.

Carbon is the only way forward if you race hard especially the technical stuff. Aluminium rims they will be in the shop more often than not being true'd(spelling).

Carbon is the only way forward if you race hard especially the technical stuff. Aluminium rims they will be in the shop more often than not being true'd(spelling).

My Alu rims were always dented and buckled. Got sooo tired of it, bought carbon and never looked back. 2 years now on a set of Roval rims and not a single problem. So yeah, absolutely agree with you.

How so? Many a pro team race aluminum wheelsets with minimal maintenance issues. 

No wheelset is worth a damn if it isn't built properly.

BMC use carbon wheelsets for their inherent stiffness but on the rougher courses like the Marathon route in Pmb last year, they opted for alloy wheelsets as they find them more forgiving. 

My own wheels (Stans Arch) have lasted two full seasons of racing xco and marathon events. Including training rides. 

This is their third year and they're still running as true and tensioned as the day I got them. The only thing I've done is strip them down, clean them, regrease the bearings/freehub etc and redo the tubeless setup with a cursory check by the workshop on the truing and tension. 

It's 80% down to the build of the wheel, be it carbon or alloy imo.

We'll be able to give you guys an informed opinion once we've done some k's on these as we've been riding the Wide Lightnings and will have a review out on those in just over a month or so.

For now I'd say the increase in stiffness will help with wheel deflection through the rough stuff which is a big issue on 29er wheels. BUT, let's put some miles on them then we'll let you know.

Is that rim tape the shiny ultra thin stuff that Shan is bringing in? 

jip love mine!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...