Momsen VIPA AC vs Scott 940 spark vs Giant Anthem

Roster

I was looking at the Vipa AC and Epic Comp for my 1st bike too.  Went with Epic and quite happy with it.  Just got fitted at CycleLabs and had to drop a new longer stem!  Gotta say the Epic bikes just looks sleek :)

I was looking at the Vipa AC and Epic Comp for my 1st bike too.  Went with Epic and quite happy with it.  Just got fitted at CycleLabs and had to drop a new longer stem!  Gotta say the Epic bikes just looks sleek :)

My only problem with the spez bike is that its like a nespresso machine.  Looks very nice and works very well for the intended use of the machiner, but clamps you in into their products.  Suspension maintenance for instance you have to get done through a spez shop, and if you do not live close to one, they have to ship it there and it can take a few days before you get your bike back.  That is just how i feel and i am not criticising anyone who bough a spez bike, It is an awesome bike to ride.

100%

With modern suspension tech, the inefficiencies of the Scott design are no longer a problem. Flick it into climb / whatever and just go. No matter which option you go for, and as long as yopu service it properly, you'll be fine. 

Test them all and find out which fits you best. 

EDIT: I'd even include the Anthem SX in there. Really, really good bike,. 

What inefficiencies were those? It didn't seem to bother Nino Schurter too much

I have an Anthem X with 120mm fork, so basically a SX.

Awesome bike.

Was very interested in the Vipa AC till I heard it had the carbon stays, put me off. Nice to have but had a Momsen carbon hardtail that cracked twice.

the SX is a 27.5 not a 29er last time I checked.

Not having ridden either(and even if I had) I'd just go for the sexiest looking one and trust the fact that both these manufacturers excell at making great dirt roadie type bikes.;-)

What inefficiencies were those? It didn't seem to bother Nino Schurter too much

only inefficiencies they had were was poor longevity under heavier riders. They fixed that.

the SX is a 27.5 not a 29er last time I checked.

As far I can remember there was a 29er Anthem SX

BTW, the seaotter was just won on a 27.5 Anthem SX advanced.

As far I can remember there was a 29er Anthem SX

Nope there's never been such a bike.

The Sx was introduced the same year as they went full bore 27.5. Its always been 27.5 in our market

Either way the SX 27.5 is the best all rounder on the market today. If one is all you can afford then this is it. Especially with the RS-1 available in 100 -120mm in 650b format for 2016 model year.

With 100mm of travel the size of the wheel makes no difference

I went through the EXACT same exercise a month or so back and also looked at these 3.

Depends on personal preference but I would be in favour of the Anthem.

A lot of bang for your buck and it's an awesome machine.

I owned both Scott and Giant hardtails before the Anthem so I'm not brand biased, but the Giant all in all just felt better.

Good luck

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate it!!

Obviously want to make sure that I buy something that won't let me down either, but seems like I can't go wrong with any of these and probably won't be able to tell the difference between the three, being a beginner rider. 

Probably going to make the decision based on price and where I get the best deal incl. extras (marginal, as they are similarly priced) - so far all the bike shops have been very helpful in terms of advice etc.,

Thanks again and will update once I have one!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there what did you buy in the end? I am in the same spot and can buy the Vipa AC for a good price, but I had an old Giant Anthem 26er and never had a problem, so I cant choose between the Anthem or Vipa AC, problem is Giant Anthem 2015 models are out of stock so they tell me, and I heard some guys have trouble with the Momsen rear triangle suspension bearings? any truth in this?

Hi there what did you buy in the end? I am in the same spot and can buy the Vipa AC for a good price, but I had an old Giant Anthem 26er and never had a problem, so I cant choose between the Anthem or Vipa AC, problem is Giant Anthem 2015 models are out of stock so they tell me, and I heard some guys have trouble with the Momsen rear triangle suspension bearings? any truth in this?

When my 2009 Anthem X3 26er was stolen a month ago, I replaced it with a 2015 Anthem X 29er - what fantastic bike! Over a 150km later I love this bike even more than I did the previous Anthem. It's rock solid through gravel grinds and the hairy technical stuff - and nearly all my Strava PRs have tumbled substantially. Dependable, reliable value for money in a great-looking package - worth the wait.

post-70738-1430957392,0906.jpg

post-70738-1430957426,0593.jpg

Archived