Toughest affordable races

GlockG4

I think it's the hard and isolated terrain. Sudden changes in weather. The climbing isn't spread equally over the race distance, it comes in 'bursts'. No shade and no tall vegetation to hide you from the sun... not sure actually.

Now that you mention it, when Barberton used to be on the MTN calendar the rate of climb per km was greater then Atta, but Atta still took twice the time :eek:

Maybe I just suck at mtb :whistling:

Atta is killer cos most of the climbing is done in the first half - 40km. That breaks most people/roadies :). last 80km are perfect for big legs like me (bar a few last nasty non-momentum climbs) I did the Meerendal after atta and it killed me. 105km with no flats... nightmare

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was gonna suggest the Imana Wild Ride. Its a super weekend, but expensive and more logistically difficult than Sani2C. You have to try do it once, but the closed circle put me off. It also took us 2 of the 4 days to reliase you cant race the Imana. If you win they shave your balls on the last night. None the less i passed on my 2015 entry.

Gotta luv someone that spends more on beer than meals :clap:  :clap: :clap:

Oh please if you believe that's the beer bill you clearly don't know OOM, I'll believe that's the tip for the drinking bill, maybe

My toughest race so far is the Tip Trans Cederberg Experience.  My first attempt a few years back the last 30km's was into a strong head wind.  Just missed the cut off of 8 hours by 5 minutes so didn't get a medal, was bleak.

This year we are back, fitter and strong and will make it.

After doing my first Impi challenge 2 weeks ago I have realised that cycling is actually an easy sport, I now have huge respect for the guys that race the Impi Elite. 

It was tough!

After doing my first Impi challenge 2 weeks ago I have realised that cycling is actually an easy sport, I now have huge respect for the guys that race the Impi Elite.

It was tough!

I really want to try the elite, or the black ops from warrior. Did the 2Oceans this year, also opened my eyes a bit. But you must keep in mind everything about the human body is designed for running, not cycling. I still maintain that a proper mtb ultra is tougher than an ultra run. But again to each his own.

Well as said before the monster for tough 1 day

3 towers for great and affordable, sabi experience was also tough and resonable.

On my to-do list

- Desert Dash

- Trans Draak

- Ride to Rhodes

The 3 day stuff are all good motivation, but it seldom takes to that dark corner in your soul where you go to after a very hard 4 or 5 hours on the bike with another 4 or 5 hours to go.

And with the Trans Draak you'll find yourself in dark place, literally & figuratively. Awesome experience to be out in the open plains of the Southern Berg, in pitch darkness, with NOTHING around you. Awesome.

You are all sissies... try the races offered by Massive Adventures. Trans Afrika and Dash2Durban.

http://www.massiveadventures.co.za/

Trans Afrika - Unsupported from Beit Bridge to Cape Town

Dash2Durban - Unsupported from Jhb to Durban (1st one finished yesterday in winning time of 30hrs)

And both titles held by a woman...

Entry not expensive - you have to pay own accommodation

See they are also planning a 1000 miler

Edited by slabs

Guest Frail4Life

Why is there nothing mentioned on road events?

I have done a few off roads on my roadie.

To mention Knysna to Uniondale, in the dark.

Any of the ultra marathon events in the MTN series are worthwhile if you want to suffer .For the average rider it is a 6 to 8 h day