Towbar bike rack options

breaker

I know there are quite a few rack freds about but bike rack options, sorry to add.

I've just sold my Thule Boot Clip on rack 9103 or something as Im getting a vehicle with a towbar.

Don't have the cash to get a platform rack which is what I ultimately want so will have to settle for one of these

Thule Express 970 2 bike for R1400

BuzzRack Gazelle 2 bike for R1150

Thule Hangon 974 3 bike for  R2100

Thule Hangon 972 3 bike for  R2400 (tiltable)

BuzzRack Antelope 3 bike for R2200 (Tiltable and lockable)

My budget already stretched at R2k, any opinions on the models above?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on the models that you've mentioned but I bought a Holdfast Snap On 2 bike rack about a year ago for R1100 and am really happy with it.

How stable is it if you peeking in your review mirror?

Everything looks fine, but then again it has only ever had one bike on during a trip as I'm the only cyclist in the family.

The 970 is a good rack, but a bit pricey for what it is. If the final goal is to get a platform rack why not try the autostyle one in the meantime? Looks sturdy and pretty usable for the price.

http://www.autostyle.co.za/gps-electronics-detectors/cycling-equipment/3-carrier-bike-rack.html

Yoh thats cheap hey.

Makro site doesn;t have it anymore, def something i would have opted for.

I got the 3 bike hangon from Cajees Bedfordview.

Paid R1.8K for it. They wanted just over R2k, and I told them to get lost. So they - in typical Cajees style - discounted it.

I use the Autostyle one, have ridden through the Transkei etc with two 29ers and a 26er on, with no problems at all. Simple and cheap (R495 when I bought) but good and solid. Just double-check that your tyres clear the exhaust though.

I also have one of these, they are heavy but very stable at 120km/h and it can take 2 Downhill bikes. I like the platform for my XC carbon bike, I don't like the thule action on the upper tube of my bike, but if I had the money I would probably go for thule. But all this aside I can only give a positive review on my cheap BNB.

Thule Express 970 2 bike

I own it, i am happy, and don't need anything else.

Very strong and stable.

Quick and easy to install.

Holds 2 bikes with 28kg, without trouble .... even on rough, corrugated gravel road surfaces.

Money well spend.

On a side note, don't pay more then R1200. :thumbup:

I didn't read much of this thread, but I have a B&B rack and have been using it for about 1 year now.

It is a platform each which mounts onto my towbar. I paid R500 second hand. And I think they sold at macro and game for like R995 a while back. I think there is a R1900 model as well, but I'm not sure.

All I can say is this thing does exactly what I want it to do. Hold my bikes, don't damage my bikes, and not really affected by wind. It does get a bit heavy with two bikes tied.

I use an old cut up bicycle tube to reinforce tying the wheels down to the rack, and also reinforced the clamp arm with a piece of tube.

I for about 8 months last year I travelled through the overberg each weekend with my bike on the back through hectic winds that blew trailers over. Every time I arrived safely with the bike in position, maybe position shifted a little bit now and then, bug nothing dangerous far.

Best R500 I spent on biking so far.

TaahirWP and the other guys recommending BNB bike rack, thats exactly what I would be after, except that you can't find it anyhere :blush:  Either that or my googling sucks :ph34r: