Future of DH in SA

ThePilot

To add to what Mill was saying .... and to reply to the OP

There is a large progression in Downhill in the Western Cape and in KZN at a Regional Event level, and this is through the hard work and dedication of the riders themselves putting up their hands and getting involved to organise races, build tracks, and help other riders get into the sport.

CSA National level events are exactly that ... National level - Although having riders that should come from all provinces to race, the costs to do the whole series far outweigh the reward.

That having been said, the numbers of the guys racing at the moment is pathetic, as there were 36 riders in total at the last race at Mankele.

HOWEVER - Nationals in my opinion is about the young guns and elites, not the ballies (30+) ... as it is the platform for the Junior and Elite to gain points for world selection.

If it were me - I would have regional events like I currently organise with my team that cater for all the new riders. Then have Nationals on BIG tracks that push the top riders who enter as this helps them prepare for Worlds. So Nationals would therefore see smaller entry numbers than that of the regionals ...

Here in KZN I try and push the riders throughout the season on a variety of tracks, and I think it is this variety that has helped the KZN riders be where they are today.

Also it comes down to marketing. My team and I do a TON of marketing with pre-event mailshots, videos etc, stuff on here and on FB .... without this no one would know of the event.

Then also the prep that goes into each event is mindboggling. I take a days leave before every event to do track taping as we have generally spent the 3 weekends prior to the event prepping tracks ...

So this is all done in our spare time and we do not get paid to do it ... its all volunteer work ... So its no wonder that there are not that many people who put up their hands to help as it takes away from your social life and riding time.

But with regards to Nationals, CSA have to have National events as part of the criteria for being a national body. There have been a number of periods when CSA (and previously SAMBA) have had lulls in rider numbers at nationals. ... But there has always then been an upswing a couple of years later.

I look at the numbers we are getting regionally as a great improvement, where KZN has had the following

DH

Round 1 - 65

Round 2 - 81?

Round 3 - 65

Enduro 

Round 1 - 149

Round 2 - 113

Round 3 - 112

So I think there is definitely a growth in the sport at regional level, and this will migrate into national level in a year or 2 .... Nationals are feeling the lull that Regionals had 3 years ago now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think another issue in SA is people feel like something is owed to them, ESPECIALLY in JHB. How many okes show up for build days? I don't ride DH but if I did I would be there, building trails I want to ride. Not everyone can be there building but if only there was SOME interest, it's always the same small group of guys building.

In other parts of the world building trails is part of the culture, I wish we had that here.

Also I was disappointed to see the last round of nationals end mid year and was wondering what other DH races or series could we look into doing for the remainder of the year? I'm definitely not hanging up the bike untill next year to enter a race again. :-(

Regarding this comment .... the Regionals have to fall in line with Nationals and are generally held a week or 2 prior to a Nationals event. 

All National dates are then regulated by UCI and are planned so that Federations have time to calculate the logs and points and then select their riders who will represent their country at World Championships which are held in August/September each year.

So the National Calendar HAS to be complete by latest July each year to allow for selection to take place, the earlier the better however as it allows riders time to prep etc for Worlds.

If you look at New Zealand and Auz - they start their National series for say 2015 in November 2014 .... so we could do this, but again its a costs issue ... 

SA is one of the ONLY countries that has both a Regional and National series ... so we actually have more DH events countrywide that the UK and Auz and NZ ....

This likely also reduces numbers at Nationals as people dont feel the need to travel ... compared with the UK where the national events that Si Paton run are sold out online before the season even starts as it is the top of the crop racing and is the only series the guys get to race properly in the UK.

Nige, how much of an impact does support from KZN MTB make to gravity racing in KZN? And why isn't there a GP MTB?

At the end of the day "ons en hulle" (as Rouxtjie puts it) we all ride the same trails.  What goes up must come down.  So maybe because I wear lycra I'm an "ons" and when I get a pair of lumo baggies and a full face helmet I'll be a "hulle". 

My point....if you look past the fashion and the social cliques, many of the mtbers here are just as good as the "downhillers".  Just go ride your bike.

The only difference is I am fit enough to ride my bike uphill and don't need a shuttle :ph34r:

Didnt you come ride (/look at) the trails at St. Ives the Friday before the event in March?

A group of us were there that morning and I think we saw you (there was only one woman in lycra there that morning) and we thought about asking that lady to join us riding the enduro trails, then we saw her walking her bike over the bridge that goes over the fence (eastern side of property) and the guys thought that the trails will be too daunting for her in general if she got off to walk that.

For me the best thing about riding DH is seeing ones progression. It is not the same than being able to ride 50km or 100km or or (for me that came without notice), but when you start riding DH tracks and need to get off and push certain sections at 1st and then go around things and a few months down the line notice that you can ride a complete DH track without having to get off your bike...the only though trough ones mind it "lets go do that again".

Lifting a 20kg bike onto a shuttle higher than your head (trucks) and standing with your bike not leaning against anything or being able to hold onto anything other than your bike is more daunting than one thinks. Sometimes you get to the top and your body is hurting more than when you get to the bottom after a ride down.

looking at those numbers of nige's  shpwing how many competitors....you dont get that many more (or even that many) at a xc event either...there really is only one discipline in SA - and that is marathon - everything else has to scrimp and beg to get sponsors etc...and due to the tireless efforts of those we know...numbers are actually growing in DH as opposed to XC where you see the regulars...it would be nice to see a mini enduro event added to the spur series

Nige, how much of an impact does support from KZN MTB make to gravity racing in KZN? And why isn't there a GP MTB?

KZNMTB put a lot of support behind gravity racing in KZN ...

There are more commissioners on the Committee for DH than for XCO/XCM

Morne Odendaal (Tiaans mom), Dave D and myself are commissioners who run DH and Enduro.

We have buy in from our Chairman (and Chairman of Cycling KZN) Greg Stedman, who bought us our new timing system for Enduro!! ... so they are not afraid to put money where they can see growth. 

Then we have Nick Floros who assists us with trails to some part and with brand activaton, Dellah Paul who does registration with Morne, and then the rest of team who assist with the website and media releases etc. 

So we have a big team behind it ... but again ... we have gotten rid of the "us and them" mindset and everyone in the committee helps where they can.

----

GP doesnt have a GP MTB  as no one is willing to start it up and set up a committee with rules etc as we have for KZNMTB ... there is a GPMTB which would govern the marathon and XCO events in the province, so maybe you need to go to them and get onto the commission to resurrect DH through the current governing body for MTB rather than trying to start from scratch

This is what I will be turning my attention to in the near future. A Festival type event that includes a half marathon, XC, Enduro and a "mini" DH complete with camping, braai's, some music, airbag/foam pit and possibly even a pump track. A place where lycra and baggies can all just be friends and get along for a few days.

Watch this space  :thumbup:

This is exactly what the Dirtopia Festivals used to be like. A long weekend gathering of EVERYBODY who rode a bike in the dirt. From BMXers, dirt-jumpers, downhillers, XC types, marathon types, kiddies, mommies, cool dudes, brandy & Coke types, Vodka & Red Bull types, Metallica fans, Steve Hofmeyer fans (not really, but you get the idea!) People tried each others' disciplines, drank some beer around the braai fires and partied until the early hours - EVERYBODY learnt something new and left as friends after getting muddy together.

This is exactly what the Dirtopia Festivals used to be like. A long weekend gathering of EVERYBODY who rode a bike in the dirt. From BMXers, dirt-jumpers, downhillers, XC types, marathon types, kiddies, mommies, cool dudes, brandy & Coke types, Vodka & Red Bull types, Metallica fans, Steve Hofmeyer fans (not really, but you get the idea!) People tried each others' disciplines, drank some beer around the braai fires and partied until the early hours - EVERYBODY learnt something new and left as friends after getting muddy together.

That right there is the dream!

A group of us were there that morning and I think we saw you (there was only one woman in lycra there that morning) and we thought about asking that lady to join us riding the enduro trails, then we saw her walking her bike over the bridge that goes over the fence (eastern side of property) and the guys thought that the trails will be too daunting for her in general if she got off to walk that.

I don't understand this paragraph Hayley?

To me it perpetuates the 'us Vs. them' attitude. Am I misunderstanding it?

I think another issue in SA is people feel like something is owed to them, ESPECIALLY in JHB. How many okes show up for build days? I don't ride DH but if I did I would be there, building trails I want to ride. Not everyone can be there building but if only there was SOME interest, it's always the same small group of guys building.

In other parts of the world building trails is part of the culture, I wish we had that here.

I would love to assist in building and am thankful for the guys that do, but with two young kids and a demanding professional career, I'm lucky to be able to assign 6 hours a week on a Sunday morning to go ride, let alone build.

That being said, if there were a trail building association that focused on building and maintaining trails in Gauteng, I would happily pay a members fee to support the guys who can devote the time.

It's  why I try and support Hakahana at least once a month, without buying a multiple entry pass so that they can get continuous funding from me and I'm happy to pay their entrance fees for their races, which I'm extremely grateful for.

i feel that there are a lot of riders who are very interested in the sport but no one knows who to contact regarding tracks which i feel is the biggest issue here in Gauteng .

1. So many people are keen to ride and help build some tracks we just get no support or interest from csa ,

2. where are we supposed to build because every track around seems to be left to fall into disrepair or be maintained by the riders .

3.Dont expect CSA to suddenly pour huge money into tracks just that they would recognise  DH riders outside the WC or KZN

Jono ... here are your answers

1. CSA does NOT fund any trail building in the Cape or KZN ... all this is covered by either bike parks or personal funds from riders.

Cascades is covered by KZNMTB as it hosts National and International events, but all digging for the DH track is undertaken by the RIDERS! .... And we generally pay for it ourselves as KZNMTBs budget generally goes on keeping the finish park area clean.

So there is interest from CSA, but its not up to them to pay and maintain your regional DH track - this is up to the land owner and riders or local commission.

2. Again - this needs to be discussed with parks like Hakahana where they can be sustainable ... A track in the middle of no where without other trails in the region is never sustainable as it would need a crew to maintain it ... and riders in SA (think that tracks miraculously grow out of the ground overnight) ....

Not to start a fight here - but XCO and XCM riders are the WORST ... as the vast majority never lift a finger to help with trail building, but then a small portion of those guys are the first to complain about a track that they ride ... DH and Enduro riders (and the small number of XCO/XCM riders) at least do go out and get their hands dirty, but its a thankless job and takes forever ... So okes dont bother and then trails fall into disrepair ... 

Also trails need to be built to be sustainable - you look at the Euro tracks and they can handle anything that mother nature throws at them (to an extent) ... BUT they all have a trail crew that manages and maintains them WEEKLY!! ...

So here we need to approach the bike parks to build tracks (like Wendell did at Thaba), but then SUPPORT THEM ... go and help build, but still pay your way .. we do this at Karkloof, St Ives and Giba, where we paid to build a lot of the trails, but then still pay to ride in the park as then the park maintains the trails for you and you just do the edits you want. ...

3. Again - as with 1. CSA does not pay to build tracks. 

I don't understand this paragraph Hayley?

To me it perpetuates the 'us Vs. them' attitude. Am I misunderstanding it?

I did not take it that way...no offence at all :w00t:

I was going very slowly taking no chances for a fall...I was riding alone and it was very early and muddy.

I did not take it that way...no offence at all :w00t:

I was going very slowly taking no chances for a fall...I was riding alone and it was very early and muddy.

Fair enough. That's why I asked for the explanation as I know that written comments can often be taken out of context.

But you have beefy tyres now! No excuses  :ph34r: