Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

It was an awesome race, was scared of mixed SBR with it, but I managed to hold on to the group till the 3km to kom sign.

Slugged it through SBR setting up almost a pb on very climb and then managed to catch 4 other guys just before the SBR exit, managed to form a pace-line to the end.

Whats this headwind you guys are talking about on the final 4 km?   :whistling: We had a super fast sprint ;)

Finished in 3:45, very happy with that. Was surprised with how many people didn't complete the race though, only 31 finishers, im sure we were almost 70 that started, a lot of peeps just turned around in SBR after they got dropped ....., not sure if any got dropped before then but they would also not be allowed to enter if they were more than  2 mins behind.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at the front of D batch till half way up walkerville hill. Just had an urge to piss. Dropped the bike on the side and ran over to a tree. Was about the longest piss in a while. Next thing I see the group is over the top and I'm left with some stragglers.

Took me about 5 km to get to a decent group. At about 65 km lost touch and got stuck between groups. Wind was an issue.

Eventually settled with 4 other guys. Worked well together. Last 500 m was crappy with the wind. Finished in 3h06 and 27th in D group. That unscheduled piss stop created havoc.

What were you riding?

I might have been riding with you a bit, I was on white and black GT with white and black kit with South Africa written on it. Also finished in a 3:06.

Well done to the bunch at the front of FL. I thought we all worked pretty well together all the way. 2:53 not bad for the second to last group! #randomseeding?

One of my friends came 3rd in FL..he normally rides A bunch..so definitely random seeding...

It was an awesome race, was scared of mixed SBR with it, but I managed to hold on to the group till the 3km to kom sign.

Slugged it through SBR setting up almost a pb on very climb and then managed to catch 4 other guys just before the SBR exit, managed to form a pace-line to the end.

Whats this headwind you guys are talking about on the final 4 km?   :whistling: We had a super fast sprint ;)

Finished in 3:45, very happy with that. Was surprised with how many people didn't complete the race though, only 31 finishers, im sure we were almost 70 that started, a lot of peeps just turned around in SBR after they got dropped ....., not sure if any got dropped before then but they would also not be allowed to enter if they were more than  2 mins behind.

Huh? Please explain this, I dont know something like this?

Edit: I assume you are talking about the Elites men group that did the Ultra...is that a common rule?

Huh? Please explain this, I dont know something like this?

Edit: I assume you are talking about the Elites men group that did the Ultra...is that a common rule?

in the elite race, if you were more than 2 min behind the peloton, you were not allowed to enter SBR as we go in and exit on the same road, and its to narrow for 2 way traffic

in the elite race, if you were more than 2 min behind the peloton, you were not allowed to enter SBR as we go in and exit on the same road, and its to narrow for 2 way traffic

Hectic!

Riding across the road in the gutter :( catch 22, get a DQ or get dropped. Can't really complain because it's the rules. Must maar accept it.

I do agree rules is rules. But we were throwing gutter because no one wanted to help chase back the break away. Then why DQ the whole bunch and not just the people riding across the white line. We weren't across the white line at all but the rest of the group were. That is why road cycling is on the down in SA.

Only wish the wind was in the other direction so that this wouldn't have happened. 

The VA main peloton being disqualified for "crossing the white line" is a joke. I spoke to riders from the elite, VB and VC races and all said there was serious 'guttering' onto the wrong side of the road in their lead groups. So just because a cranky cow was having a bad morning in the VAs commissionaire car, only the VAs get penalised.

Additionally, there wasn't a single motorbike marshal from the 20km mark, that would certainly help.Cycling SA, what a bunch of muppets!

Agreed. Well said Wez

I do agree rules is rules. But we were throwing gutter because no one wanted to help chase back the break away. Then why DQ the whole bunch and not just the people riding across the white line. We weren't across the white line at all but the rest of the group were. That is why road cycling is on the down in SA.

Only wish the wind was in the other direction so that this wouldn't have happened.

It's actually not even like the guys that where at the front where riding like douches anyway. The front guys where all on the left and the group just spread all the way across the road. I don't blame anyone for "putting guys in the gutter " it was simply just due to the wind. But yes you right there where only a select few chasing down the break. I guess they DQ the whole bunch because they couldn't pick and choose while we where riding who was over the line and who wasn't at any one time. I don't know hey bud, it wasnt lekker. Pity because our seeding would have been brilliant.

Question:

Do you think the new route is easier than the previous years race?

Well they took away the dirt road on the route but added a very dusty dirt road to the parking. [emoji16]

Most of the route was the same, some in reverse. Otherwise I don't think it was any easier or harder. Sometimes flat and fast is hard.

I read all about these DQ's and wonder if that was what the marshals were blowing whistles for?

I can remember it happening twice when we would take corners and some 'cut it' over the white line...

I read all about these DQ's and wonder if that was what the marshals were blowing whistles for?

I can remember it happening twice when we would take corners and some 'cut it' over the white line...

You mean the marshals on the corners...?

Question: 

Do you think the new route is easier than the previous years race?

the winners average speed was slightly slower than last year indicating it was a little bit more difficult but the difference is slight. I guess one has to wait for what the seeding ppl say.

For me it felt pretty much the same but the wind in some places made it a little tougher.

You mean the marshals on the corners...?

The corner flag marshals should be just waving indicating your direction and blowing the whistle to say "pay heed"

(whistles work universally because we all have learnt to ignore most road noise like horns etc)

Archived