Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well with descents down Sterkfontein and the Hekpoort pass, maybe 'scared' is spot on!

Unfortunately I fall in the category of scared of the descents. After a heavy fall I seem to be nervous going down descents and that it makes them worse.

Tried the past weekend to train for it but the wind was just blowing the wrong direction and could not really reach more than 60 km/h.

If  I fall of during the descents I will have to work harder which I assume will give me better training for 94.7 in any case.

Unfortunately I fall in the category of scared of the descents. After a heavy fall I seem to be nervous going down descents and that it makes them worse.

Tried the past weekend to train for it but the wind was just blowing the wrong direction and could not really reach more than 60 km/h.

If  I fall of during the descents I will have to work harder which I assume will give me better training for 94.7 in any case.

Well if the wind stays from the North as it currently is, those 2 descents will be into the wind, so 60 kph will be a good speed. Always better getting to the bottom happy than early....

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is cat 4 and cat 5 climb mean? Is it the gradient or a combo of gradient and distance?

As I have it is a combination. Cat 4& 5 both is not really big climbs. We

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is cat 4 and cat 5 climb mean? Is it the gradient or a combo of gradient and distance?

do not really have races with big climbs in SA.

Especially not in fun rides as they want the riders to come back the next year.

First time for this race.

What are those climbs?

Has anybody made one of those cool fly overs of this route yet?

Bump

Can anybody explain which climbs these are?

Bump

The climb back past the Krugersdorp game reserve is the one that will hurt. Not sure with new start/finish venue but I estimate it will be last 6/7km. 

The climb back past the Krugersdorp game reserve is the one that will hurt. Not sure with new start/finish venue but I estimate it will be last 6/7km. 

So is E2E doing Northcliff hill a few times tomorrow morning? hehehe

(I have actually never been up there...not with a bike nor with a car)

So is E2E doing Northcliff hill a few times tomorrow morning? hehehe

(I have actually never been up there...not with a bike nor with a car)

Its not as steep as Northcliff but when racing and trying to hang on it hurts!! 

Bump

The first two climbs are on the ridge to the west of krugersdorp. Then down sterkfontein. Then next climb up towards the intersection that links up with maropeng road, then hekpoort from south side. Next long (but not steep) climb is when you turn right out of magalies. Short downhill then another short climb. Then long flattish stretch (but wind can be bad). Parts of this section you ride in berge en dale but in opposite direction. Finish climbing back up ridge.

Tough route....especially if you caught alone on the "flat" sections without a bunch.

Archived