ZTR Crest Rims...disposable one day race wheels?

NielC

Hi fellow Hubbers,

So, I would like to have your thoughts and comments on this interesting issue as I'm a bit perplexed by this recent opinion that I've received on the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB! I've very recently been told by someone, apparently in the know, that the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB are actually made as 'disposable, one day race rims' and that I should rather purchase a different set of rims for my MTB. I was advised that I should get a set of rims that are more durable and which are not disposable. Strangely enough, the person that advised me had different rims at his bicycle shop that are, according to him, more durable and would be 'better suited' for me. I was also told that the ZTR Crest rims have a weight limit of 85kg.

To briefly explain my position in this picture - I do cross-country riding with my MTB, which is a hardtail, and I am well below the weight limit of 85kg as I weigh 74kg. I have, despite some research on the google-machine, never heard that ZTR Crest rims are designed to be disposable. I asked this person whether it would be correct to state that, if I've done a race, e.g a marathon, it would be advisable to dispose of the wheels after the race. I was advised that this is exactly what the ZTR Crests were designed for - race, dispose.

Just so you know, I have not bought the 'more durable' rims from the bicycle shop and will continue riding the 'disposable' ones for now. Until I can dispose of them, I will keep them :thumbup:

Your thoughts, questions and comments of these 'disposable race day rims' will be most welcome!

Ciao

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should question the motives or your advisor.

Absolute BS.

There is no such thing as a disposable one day wheel even if you are a pro. You wold never build something that light and risk breakage in a race. It doesn't compute.

Like a customer of mine once told me "Ek ken die verskil tussen *** en chocolates, en heirdie is nie chocolates nie".

Take your rims and run.........there is nothing wrong with them. Even if they were disposable, see how long it takes before you need to dispose of them because they are kaput. By the sounds of it someone is actually looking for a set of ZTRs cheap-cheap. Poefies as jy my vra......but what do I know........with a set of Arch and weighing a 105kg........still running true.

3 words. 

He's

Talking

Kaaaaaaaaak

Yes, they have a rider limit of 85kg, but they are NOT disposable race rims. If anything, that would go to the old, now out of production ZTR Race Gold rims, especially if you are of a certain heft. 

In addition - a rim's strength depends largely on how it was built. If it was a kaaak builder that put them together, then they would be inherently weak. But if put together by a proper builder, they should last you a good long time. 

Wheels DO get stronger with more material, but your LBS is spinning you stories. 

Crests are made of the strongest foil you can find. 

The rim of choice for many riders who want to have a lighter wheelset for races.

He's trying to take your money son !

Come along with mummy right now and don't play with that horrid boy ever again ! :w00t:  :w00t: :w00t:  

My son has been riding with his ZTR Crests since last year this time.  He does the XCO series and some other races, and training in the week with them.  He has an XTC HT.  Only had one dented rim in this time from a rock.

I suspect FUD, the tool most salesmen use when they can't offer a superior product.

Edited by Moridin

Thanks! I must say, I was a little annoyed by this 'advice' but acted interested nonetheless. Just thought that I'd put the question out there in the most neutral way to see what your thoughts are.

Good thing that I have not bought a set of Enve wheels and disposed of them after a race...or even after a hard 'Spruit ride.

Yes, ZTR Crest rims are disposable...you should give them to me and I will dispose of them, then go buy a more durable set of rims from your LBS....just kidding :whistling:

ZTR Crest wheels are awesome for XC

I am 87kg and have been riding my 650 crests hard for almost 2 years now no issues at all. So I cant say I agree. For me personally they are good value for money rims and at ghe higher end of that bracket. Running them on Hope hubs and decent (cant remember the brand now) spokes.

No worries whatsoever.

no no, the guy is being honest - take those crests off and give them to me, so one day when I race I can throw them away after.

.......spelling "race" and doing it is two different horses.........so you will be holding onto them forevaaaaaaaaa ;-)