The Spruit Upgrades - Thanks to the Fairies

Paul Ruinaard

So I rode the Spruit for the first time in about a year - from Paulshof up to Marks Park and around and down again.

Man its great - what a pleasure - all sorts of new lines and upgrades and generally MTB friendly things have been put in by some of the Spruit Fairies.

To you guys that have put in the (back breaking) work to make it better for all of us - thanks very much. It truly has improved a lot. I think that over the years it has become a go to trail for many of us. For some reason (i think mud in in summer - which i hate- I stopped riding it.) but I have ridden it in its various incarnations since the mid 90's and it is definitely the best its ever been. Especially when its dry and the mud has gone.

I normally do N Farm (was there on Saturday) and Spruit has its beating now. Much faster and much more flow when going downhill (which is what i love). N Farm is so tight and twisty - their trail builder needs to get his head out of his ar$e about off camber turns and tightening lines.

Got a good 38kms distance and about 2000 calories. Its not tough but when you turn the bike downhill at Marks Park and start cranking it - man its like a horse smelling the stables - I cant but start to smile and throw the bike around....

Some observations:

1.) Not sure of the security on some sections - I did feel a bit edgy under the N1 bridge in Paulshof as that is an unfrequented section. But generally lots of folks - girls running on their own etc (Hot honeys - man there were some belters).

2.) Lots of Noobs (could tell by the 26 inch bikes with old canti and VBrakes) all over with punctures. Helped some of them.

3.) Nearly had a head on with a guy in the narrow fast sections near Ri9ver Club - it was just unlucky as it was a blind corner where I was dropping in at some speed and he was hidden in the bushes. But its is not the first time and there are lots of moments where I was relying on the other persons skills, which I was pretty sure weren't there.

4.) Normal Stravaholes were there as well - a whole line of them passed me and I hooked in the back for a bit till i saw they were going straight and missing all the fun stuff on the sidelines. These guys were interested in straight line speed and not in riding the bike. Whatever lights your candle boys - but they were also very dangerous when passing people etc. This is going to lead to issues in the future. It's fun bombing the Spruit but in the Delta area you ned to be very aware of the other walkers and dogs etc.

Great day out - will be there next weekend as well. I think that Saturdays are best avoided with the Park Run thing happening.

Edited by IQ of 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2.) Lots of Noobs (could tell by the 26 inch bikes with old canti and VBrakes) all over with punctures. Helped some of them.

Gently Bro.... some of us old f..ers also have 26ers with v-brakes.... although we don't need help fixing puctures....

• 4 weeks later...

And just my 2cents worth, thanks for the upgrades to the entrance and exit over the slippery stream there near the Scout Hall. I feel it makes a huge difference to my confidence going over the stream!

Perhaps some of the hardcore okes may not agree, but i have been wanting an upgrade like that for a while... have seen plenty of guys slip and fall there.

Ja there are a few places on the Spruit that are sphincter puckering. For me that rocky muddy slippery section below the scout hall is always ridden with care. I haven't fallen there but its not like the combination of mud and rocks is really a place for great traction......

I spent some time swimming in the river last weekend after riding off the side of the bridges/concrete  just after you cross William Nicol. Got halfway across and had brain fade. I hate elevated narrow things. Ended up swimming in the Spruit with the ambient temperature at about 6 degrees. Not a happy bunny....

Ja there are a few places on the Spruit that are sphincter puckering. For me that rocky muddy slippery section below the scout hall is always ridden with care. I haven't fallen there but its not like the combination of mud and rocks is really a place for great traction......

I spent some time swimming in the river last weekend after riding off the side of the bridges/concrete  just after you cross William Nicol. Got halfway across and had brain fade. I hate elevated narrow things. Ended up swimming in the Spruit with the ambient temperature at about 6 degrees. Not a happy bunny....

haha, ya a few of those river crossings, and the soil erosion in some parts cant necessarily be classified as technical, but are "sphincter puckering" nonetheless.

Did you fall off on that narrow step going under William Nicol? Or over the concrete strip connected rocks just after william nicol on the way to emmarentia?

because its quite a fall under William Nicol.. and its so damn narrow

Fell off the concrete strips. 

Into the nice clean fast flowing river below.

In about 4 degrees C weather.

Much to the amusement of my riding partners.

Does anyone have detail on how to contribute / donate to the "Spruit Fairies"  - I think they are doing our riding community a fantastic service, but don't want them to run out of "steam"

Does anyone have detail on how to contribute / donate to the "Spruit Fairies"  - I think they are doing our riding community a fantastic service, but don't want them to run out of "steam"

Think they were chatting about this on another thread, but I am sure you can find out the necessary info from the Trailhead cycle shop at Fratelli's, because I am sure there is a mutual relationship between the Trailhead and the Spruit Fairies

• 2 weeks later...

The one Spruit Fairies uses a guy Wilson once a week to work on maintenance of the trails. Wilson has been kitted out with an old Morewood bike, with carrier and panniers to carry work tools (spade, weed eater,etc) and rides to the various places he works at each week. An account has been running for the last year: Name: Spruit Trail, Nedbank current account 1053887086, Branch code 198765, reference: your email address please. Recent work done includes replacing washed away cement lintels at WN from summer floods, improved under passes at Conrad, Jan Smuts and Rustenburg (rewelding of metal section breakage). Enjoy the ride! 

Hear, hear to the thanks post!

I (well try to) ride the Spruit three times a week to the Delta from Rivonia and back in the late arvy and I am constantly amazed at the upgrades that are done on a weekly basis. Thanks Fairies!

IQof2 needs to be applauded, he could have easily gone home after his dunk in the grubby cold spruit water, but he manned up and road to Emmerentia and back, wet,  in those temperatures. You wouldn't see a roadie manning up like that  :thumbup:

Strangely enough, though I mostly ride alone, I have never felt scared or threatened on the Spruit. I do make a point of greeting all the locals when I have some spare air to do so. 

Every now and then, I take my backpack and give out a few loaves of bread to some of the inhabitants. i make sure to spread a message of looking after us cyclists and keeping the rabble away. It was interesting the one guy at the "plastic recycling station" said they do so because if we bring the police they get to lose their home, an interesting factor that I hope keeps us safe by local policing.

But this is Africa and I don't fool myself, i keep my eyes peeled!

Thanks again to everyone who keeps the Spruit lekker, see you out here!

IQof2 needs to be applauded, he could have easily gone home after his dunk in the grubby cold spruit water, but he manned up and road to Emmerentia and back, wet,  in those temperatures. You wouldn't see a roadie manning up like that  :thumbup:

But this is Africa and I don't fool myself, i keep my eyes peeled!

I call BS on the roadies comment.... don't make me show examples....

OK - let me mention 1 or 2 - Cancellara - broke 2 vertebrae in a high speed OTB at the TDF - finsihed the stage..... there are a couple of guys still riding with broken collarbones and dislocated shoulders... many many examples of hard as nails roadies....

As to keeping your eyes open - don't forget.... especially if you are alone on the spruit.... bikes are cheap compared to hospital visits.

I call BS on the roadies comment.... don't make me show examples....

OK - let me mention 1 or 2 - Cancellara - broke 2 vertebrae in a high speed OTB at the TDF - finsihed the stage..... there are a couple of guys still riding with broken collarbones and dislocated shoulders... many many examples of hard as nails roadies....

As to keeping your eyes open - don't forget.... especially if you are alone on the spruit.... bikes are cheap compared to hospital visits.

Sage words and very true, them be steel men.

Lol I was referring to some of the boys that Iqof2 and I have ridden with in the past ;-)

• 1 year later...

Spruit route has taken some strain after the recent rains, especially from Trailhead going North towards William Nicol (and beyond).

Caught Wilson again this morning, with his trusty Morewood - man, that thing must one of the first bikes Pat built! - just as he was about to start doing some repairs under the Conrad road bridge. Really needed at this stage...

For those Spruit Rats that don't know; there is a bank account we all can transfer money to which is used for maintenance on the route as well paying Wilson (and others) a small salary. 

I myself haven't donated in a while but plan on doing so shortly. 

I'm not a 100% sure the bank details so hopefully someone will post the latest details here - @Whitters, I know you have it...

For Spruit Rats that do know about the account - make some contributions guys!

We need to keep the Faeries funded if we want to keep the Spruit rideable and in good condition.

Agree! Lots of work needed to maintain after these rains. Some big washouts, dislodged bridges and overgrown vegetation. I also haven't contributed in a little while so will also do so now. I'll dig out the banking detail and post them for everyone.

Spruit Maintenance Bank Account

Name: Spruit Trail

Nedbank current account: 1053887086

Branch code: 198765

Reference: your email address