The Spruit Upgrades - Thanks to the Fairies

Paul Ruinaard

Thanks, donation made. Guys, the North bound route of the spruit is awesome, but has seriously taken a battering! We need to donate so that route can become more accessible again to riders, walkers and runners not only for our enjoyment, but so it can become busy enough for a certain amount of safety.

Even if you can only donate 10 bucks. If all of us who use the spruit just give 10 bucks, that will be 1000's.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a bump on this thread. Please, if you can, and use the Spruit regularly, make a donation?

Spruit Maintenance Bank Account

Name: Spruit Trail

Nedbank current account: 1053887086

Branch code: 198765

Reference: your email address

Payment done. Thank you Fairies.

Rode the last 2 weekends....looks great, some little touch-ups needed here and there. I am amazed to see the "neglect" in Delta Park. Seems like the new dispensation has immediate priorities elsewhere.......

Edited by Lighthouse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Is this bank account still operational?

Cannot compliment the fairies enough - rains come down and Spruit is a mess - 2 days later fairies have been at work and the Spruit is better than before.

Will be more than happy to contribute.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear Spruit fairies (not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm loathe to start a new thread)

This is a dangerous and poorly marked feature on the spruit. Dangerous in that I've witnessed 2 head injuries with riders going over the gap jump unawares over the last 4 days (and I've only been there twice), and poorly marked as I'll set out below. I nearly took myself over the gap too.

This is immediately above the Victory Park Virgin Active gym.

post-5932-0-89346600-1563134026_thumb.jpg

The marking issue is 3-fold

1. The dangerous line is the natural continuation of the riding line, while the preferred route required that you turn off. So your eye tends to take you into danger.

2. The '3-arrow' danger sign is almost identical to the route markings everywhere else (sponsors logo prominent, and about 75% the same as the route signs). This means that you don't immediately recognise it as a danger sign, and as well as being the natural line, the gap jump looks a lot like it is actually the marked route.

3. There is no indication that you should rather take the right fork(!) So even if you were planning on going that way, you're likely to change your mind to follow the marked route rather than ride 'off route'.

Please re-think this.

Edited by 100Tours

Dear Spruit fairies (not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm loathe to start a new thread)

This is a dangerous and poorly marked feature on the spruit. Dangerous in that I've witnessed 2 head injuries with riders going over the gap jump unawares over the last 4 days (and I've only been there twice), and poorly marked as I'll set out below. I nearly took myself over the gap too.

This is immediately above the Victory Park Virgin Active gym.

attachicon.gifIMG_0494.JPG

The marking issue is 3-fold

1. The dangerous line is the natural continuation of the riding line, while the preferred route required that you turn off. So your eye tends to take you into danger.

2. The '3-arrow' danger sign is almost identical to the route markings everywhere else (sponsors logo prominent, and about 75% the same as the route signs). This means that you don't immediately recognise it as a danger sign, and as well as being the natural line, the gap jump looks a lot like it is actually the marked route.

3. There is no indication that you should rather take the right fork(!) So even if you were planning on going that way, you're likely to change your mind to follow the marked route rather than ride 'off route'.

Please re-think this.

Although it has been 3yrs+ since I have lived in SA and ridden the Spruit, I know the very jump-lip in question.

Whilst my opinion may be biased as I used to ride that section about 3x per week, and am a huge fan of the Spruit Faeries' work, I personally don't see the issue.

When I last rode that section, there was no wooden bridge over the ditch. There was no signage at all. And in summertime the grass could get so overgrown that neither ditch nor jump was particularly visible. Yet no one complained.

1. Yes, the natural continuation of the line would be straight ahead towards the lip, BUT one can clearly see that the bypass is the well-ridden option, and therefore the "main line". If I recall correctly the original "main line" was about 20m to the right of this. It may not be there anymore though.
  2. The 3 red arrow symbol is almost universal signage used on trails and bike parks around the world meaning "gap" or "danger". On some trails and bike parks gap jumps are simply denoted by tiny little red flags on the apex of the lip (ie. way garder to see than the signage in question). I personally think this sign is more than adequate. As for the sponsorship, without it there would probably be no sign.
  3. It's mountain biking, not paint-by-numbers. The beauty of it is discovering new lines, and blazing a trail.

If one is unsure about a trail or tech section, slow down. Pull over if needed. Ride within one's ability.

Ultimately the work that the Spruit Faeries do is to make the Spruit a more enjoyable place to ride. Much of the work is done on their own time and at their own cost. Much of the criticism comes from those that contribute neither time nor money, yet expect the trails to be catered to their tastes.

Edited by patches

I ride that route a lot. You've got to be pretty reckless to ignore the sign - and not slow down and check it out first - if you aren't familisr with the route. Not sure what elsebcan be done short of closing off the straight section or bridging it over - but then those who like this kind of challenge may be unhappy.

All small 'bumps' are meant to be jumped :thumbup:

Spruit faeries have done a great job leaving a few intermediate gaps and jumps..

Nice work guys and girls...

Edited by Undun

I must say the trail fairies have done an excellent job sign posting most of the spruit and building the epic lines. Salute the unsung heroes.

I just wish all would actually read the signs sometimes.

One section in particular is the dual carriage type set up below the school area at the top end of Delta Park

Dog walkers and runners- Stick to the bottom path and keep your hounds on the bottom path. It is stupid and dangerous both for you, your dogs and the cyclists if you are on the cycling path.

Cyclists- the top path is yours and is a Two way path. The berm lines before and after that section are one way(downhill) but if you read the signs that section is 2 way for cyclists. There is a sign on either end saying others on the lower path and cyclists on the upper path. Not rocket science. I have had 4x cyclists tell me I am wrong as they cycle on the walking path.

I will try remember to take photos later of the signs either end.

Edited by dave303e

If I recall correctly the original "main line" was about 20m to the right of this. It may not be there anymore though.

It is.

I ride the spruit often and find signage,upkeep and general usage all in great condition. There will always be that chop !

One should always ride with caution if you are unfamiliar with the trail................

That wooden little bridge was erected after someone unfortunately hit that ditch unaware and was killed !

If a number of newer riders are falling in the ditch then by definition that makes this an issue. I'd say it was safer without the sign (which would encourage you to follow the route more travelled).

Once you've chosen the right line once you'll probably not then go over the lip by mistake on your second time passing, but I'd also assume that the signs are there for people riding it for the first time. This one is an issue because it is a quite technical feature on an otherwise non-technical part of the trail.

3 red arrows on their own would be bettter than a sign with 4 messages on. The red disappears amongst the rest of it. And to stop and read the sign (you can't really read it while riding) is not how most people ride. The sign therefore works as legal protection, rather than being risk reducing.

This isn't negative criticism. It is meant to make the place more fun, and safer.

FWIW I have spent evenings creosoting and fixing bridges around Alberts in years past. Not that it should make a difference, but I have put some effort in too.

Although it has been 3yrs+ since I have lived in SA and ridden the Spruit, I know the very jump-lip in question.

Whilst my opinion may be biased as I used to ride that section about 3x per week, and am a huge fan of the Spruit Faeries' work, I personally don't see the issue.

When I last rode that section, there was no wooden bridge over the ditch. There was no signage at all. And in summertime the grass could get so overgrown that neither ditch nor jump was particularly visible. Yet no one complained.

1. Yes, the natural continuation of the line would be straight ahead towards the lip, BUT one can clearly see that the bypass is the well-ridden option, and therefore the "main line". If I recall correctly the original "main line" was about 20m to the right of this. It may not be there anymore though.
  2. The 3 red arrow symbol is almost universal signage used on trails and bike parks around the world meaning "gap" or "danger". On some trails and bike parks gap jumps are simply denoted by tiny little red flags on the apex of the lip (ie. way garder to see than the signage in question). I personally think this sign is more than adequate. As for the sponsorship, without it there would probably be no sign.
  3. It's mountain biking, not paint-by-numbers. The beauty of it is discovering new lines, and blazing a trail.

If one is unsure about a trail or tech section, slow down. Pull over if needed. Ride within one's ability.

Ultimately the work that the Spruit Faeries do is to make the Spruit a more enjoyable place to ride. Much of the work is done on their own time and at their own cost. Much of the criticism comes from those that contribute neither time nor money, yet expect the trails to be catered to their tastes.

Edited by 100Tours