Tacx trainers now unlocked

HappyMartin

old faithfull is a tacx fortius,,,one of the first models i used to use it for the  training programs,

i have a few videos and i see there is a option for "live racing" never used it, you can follow route/races if you buy the software for that old model, it is bullet proof ive had it for years,,

that the difference with tacx/cycleops

no software issues and no need to buy software, any route you want 2 min and you riding it :thumbup:

but is all this online ? and in other other thread there was mention made of subscriptions

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but is all this online ? and in other other thread there was mention made of subscriptions

both now offer online, but the old tacx you used to buy the routes as software, as in disc form

ok, so given everything that is going on, which one does one look at ? :wacko: :blink:

only 1 to choose cycleops no doubt, 

Is the Tacx Vortex Smart T2180 now compatible with Cycleops Virtual training?

Yes and no. The trainers already prior to tacx opening up broadcasted information that could be used by cycleops app and other apps, but only tacx app could control resistance of the trainer. Now tacx have opened up to allow apps other than the tacx app to control the trainer, but the apps still need to decide whether they will support the tacx communication protocol. At the moment it is only zwift , trainerroad, kinomap and bkool apps that support as a start if i remember correctly.

I'm sure there are a few of us keen so just ballpark the compatible models prices please.

I have the Flow with the upgrade but i'm considering upgrading further 

Hi

What upgrade did you get with the Flow and what is the cost? I recently bought one.

Hi

What upgrade did you get with the Flow and what is the cost? I recently bought one.

I have the older model flow. The control unit isn't pc compatible,  using the T1925 which is usb compatible.

That is to say i can use it with tacx software.

I just use the older control when i use the system as a standalone trainer, so no need to boot the pc and software etc

Edited by bmw1za

• 1 month later...

This is great news. This basically makes the tacx smart range of trainers similar to wahoo kickr and powerbeam for much cheaper price. I'm sure wahoo and cycleops will now need to cut prices. I have the tacx vortex smart trainer and think its a great trainer, the only downside was being locked into their system-and their software was the weak point. Now that no longer applies. For those interested bike24.net offers this trainer for about 300 euro, its now a pretty good option in my view.

Knowing tacx their will still be some teething problems.

Have you bought from bike24.net before? And what extra costs would be involved (e.g. customs, VAT etc.).

I have the older model flow. The control unit isn't pc compatible, using the T1925 which is usb compatible.

That is to say i can use it with tacx software.

I just use the older control when i use the system as a standalone trainer, so no need to boot the pc and software etc

They (bike24) charge €19.95 for shipping or €39.90 if it's a frame-sized package.

Duty free, under tariff heading 9506.91 - for exercise equipment.

VAT = (FOB value × Ex.Rate × 1.1 × 0.14)

and local handling charges - I paid R50 for a box with a full groupset, a saddle and handlebars

Edited by geraldm24

Have you bought from bike24.net before? And what extra costs would be involved (e.g. customs, VAT etc.).

I have bought from bike24 multiple times. Shipping charges are included when you order. Vat and custom charges normally 15.4%. Note that customs is dependent on what the nature of the goods is not the website you order from. Bike parts no custom charges so you pay vat 14% increased by 10% to get 15.4%, plus small clearance. Note i dont know what customs are charged on an indoor trainer.

The only downside to bike24 is they use dhl from germany but then comes through local post office. I suggest using a po box not street address, as on multiple occassions i have had to go to post office centre at airport to collect the parcel because i missed the street delivery. Not pleasant.

The phone apps don't allow the ability to customise workouts.

Also, the new 'open' software is only downloadable on Apple for now (I have a Samsung S4 mini phone and a Note Tab (1st gen)). And as Samsung SA seem to have decided not to release KitKat in SA on the first gen Note Tabs (it is available in some European countries since Q3, 2014) my tablet is also useless for the Tacx application. I have heard of people 'rooting' their tabs and then being able to download Kitkat but don't have a clue where to begin.

Your Mecer suggestion sounds good, though as I've just realised how important continued support is I would be interested in finding out whether Mecer is committed to releasing new software for 'older' tabs. I find it bitter to swallow that Samsung only releases one major operating system update a year after release for a top of range tablet and then basically abandons the range. They've just lost an 'ecosystem' customer because of this.

New alternate option seems to be to get garmin edge520. My understanding is that it supports the new fe-c communciation protocol i.e. you can control the resistance of the trainer from your garmin. Check out dcrainmaker review of edge 520 for more info.

• 4 months later...

Any clever person out there that could open up the "dumb" tacx trainers yet?

I read some articles on the www and  some suggested that if you fiddle around a bit and ad a parts it might be possible to convert the dumb Vortex, Bushido etc to open ant+.

I bought a dumb Vortex in the beginning of the year so there is no way I can now buy a new one... Still keen to use zwift and the like.

Hopefully someone can use their creative genius and open these babies up!!!???

• 3 months later...

Yes and no. The trainers already prior to tacx opening up broadcasted information that could be used by cycleops app and other apps, but only tacx app could control resistance of the trainer. Now tacx have opened up to allow apps other than the tacx app to control the trainer, but the apps still need to decide whether they will support the tacx communication protocol. At the moment it is only zwift , trainerroad, kinomap and bkool apps that support as a start if i remember correctly.

It is zwift, trainerroad, kinomap, bkool, PerfPro, veloreality and maximum trainer from what i can see

edit:  Cycleops virtual training is also compatible

Edited by Oxter

Any clever person out there that could open up the "dumb" tacx trainers yet?

I read some articles on the www and  some suggested that if you fiddle around a bit and ad a parts it might be possible to convert the dumb Vortex, Bushido etc to open ant+.

I bought a dumb Vortex in the beginning of the year so there is no way I can now buy a new one... Still keen to use zwift and the like.

Hopefully someone can use their creative genius and open these babies up!!!???

Maybe someone can, but as far as i can see it is a hardware restriction not a software one.  that makes it a bit more difficult to upgrade to the "smart" version

New alternate option seems to be to get garmin edge520. My understanding is that it supports the new fe-c communciation protocol i.e. you can control the resistance of the trainer from your garmin. Check out dcrainmaker review of edge 520 for more info.

Not correct. Your Garmin can pick up the trainer via ant and display the watts, cadence and speed and therefor record your ride, but you cannot control the resistance from the Garmin as the Garmin is a receiving device only using ANT. The only info the Garmin can send out is to download a historic ride via bluetooth.