'Cheap' tubeless conversion - succesfull!!

NotSoBigBen

20080404_013750_03042008006_sm.JPG

Sprayed liberal soapy water all round the tyre between the excess tube and the bead.

20080404_013846_03042008007_sm.JPG

Trusty bomb pump and 16g bomb, phhhhhfffffftttttt bwa and it was inflated! No leaking anywhere, it was a pre tubelessed tyre so I guess it was already 'sealed' by the old Joe's, but no issues at the bead etc. OK so no spun the wheel and did the horizontal shake it all about while it was spinning thing to ensure that the sealant got everywhere!

OK so now I sat back and admired this marvel I had created .............. not quite finished yet though ................

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20080404_014358_04042008_sm.JPG

Gave the wheel a good wash, lent MBB's (Mrs BigBen) fancy 90deg sewing scissors and cut the excess tube off. Doesn't look to shabby hey Nige?

20080404_014537_04042008001_sm.JPG

Got up this morning and the wheel is still 'hard'! Seems not to have lost any air but keep in mind as previously stated it was a pre used tubeless conversion tyre! Cause it's my training wheels I will only ride them again from next week Tuesday but will keep y'all informed ..............

good thing! well done. in my (limited) experience, the soap is the key thing - if the tyre can slip nicely into place without disturbing the liner, the seal will be good.

D R so its again about weight ?

So what I dont get is that Mampara said the minimum weight of a race bike can be 6.9 kg.

How close are most of the elite riders, as compared to sponsored pro bikes to this?

good thing! well done. in my (limited) experience' date=' the soap is the key thing - if the tyre can slip nicely into place without disturbing the liner, the seal will be good.[/quote']

Yip that is 100% correct! Even when doing a Joe's or Stans conversion that is also in my opinion the key. LittleBen and myself have done a few conversions at the garage pumps in that way!

SlowBee - I am not aware of a tubeless 'conversion' kit for road wheels but there are 'proper' tubeless wheels and tyres. I do of course stand to be corrected.

It's takem me a while to type this cause of interruptions at my desk so apologies if anyone else has already  provided the necssary info .......

can you do the same with road bikes?

Yes you can but you do get rims and tyres specialy made for this so that you do not need to go to all this trouble. The problem is when you get a puncture and the sealant is not working, you have to put a tube in.

I was researching this the other day after my LBS suggested he do a cheapo conversion for me. In the US it's called "Ghetto Tubeless". Checkout this link: http://www.gotubeless.com/

So, had the LBS do the conversion yesterday, will ride it for the 1st time Sat & Sun, will report back.

I got my LBS to use BMX tubes with removeable cores, assume I'll be able to top up with a syringe. I had a half full bottle of Stans, so used this as an initial filler.

BB do you know if you get those tubes with removable valves ?

I doubt if you do.

You do get BMX tubes with the "car type" value. Then you can take out the core.

You Will have to drill out the value hole in the rim though (you need to enlarge the inner hole in any case).

I tried doing the same DIY conversion a year ago.

I could only find ones with the car valve. Perhaps this is part of the reason I could not get it to work.

My rims whre just too narrow at the value to fit the  thicker part of BMX tube around the valve and the tyre bead.

Bead just did not want to seat at the valve.

Plus I was using standard tyres which had not been sealed before.

I gave up and got a Stans rim strip. This worked,

but I still struggled to get it to seal at the valve.

Sorry, forgot to add..

I've switched to Crossmark UST tyres (standard rims) since my old Crossmarks were a bit poked. I'd picked up the new tyres cheap-cheap last year. Some leftover Epic spares from a mate.

Question, am I going to struggle to get these tyres off my rims? I assume the UST tyres are a tighter fit than standard non-foldable tyres?

So if I get a big puncture, I assume those "snot" repair strings are the way to go? ANy idea of cost?

Mountain_Lion - As I said I did have a few things in my favour, one of those ebeing that it was a tyre that already been used and abused with tubeless so it probably helped .......

Was fun doing it but I guess the real test will be of how it stands up to normal riding and stuff. Will it outlast a Joe's strip? I doubt it but at that price it's OK ........

For a technically challenged oke like you BB, well done !! Wink

My first tubeless conversion didn't even use a tube, just used some imported pvc tape to cover the spoke holes and siliconed a valve into place.

Worked well until I decided to move upmarket and by some Joes rims strips, which didn't last a year. Now running Stans.

Hmmm........ might try a tubeless conversion to my Ksyriums, all I'll need is a Mavic tubeless valve.

BB do you know if you get those tubes with removable valves ?

Yes you do, think the ones my LBS used were Conti with presta removable valves.

For a technically challenged oke like you BB' date=' well done !! Wink

My first tubeless conversion didn't even use a tube, just used some imported pvc tape to cover the spoke holes and siliconed a valve into place.

Worked well until I decided to move upmarket and by some Joes rims strips, which didn't last a year. Now running Stans.

Hmmm........ might try a tubeless conversion to my Ksyriums, all I'll need is a Mavic tubeless valve.
[/quote']

Ouch Fanks ........ LOL

I have stated before that in my opinion the Stans strips are more 'robust' than the Joes so agree with you on that score!