Possible scam???

Cippo

So I was contacted via pm by a buyer ( 23michael) on the hub wanting to buy my bike and offer was made which I accepted in principle. Buyer is in KZN wanting to have friend in Cape Town check out bike for him. I asked him to contact me this morning telephonically and we could discuss arrangements. My request yesterday via pm was to have his friend see bike, buyer makes eft and once cleared I would hand bike over. I am yet to hear from buyer via pm or telephone. He has been online today so I see no reason why he has not made contact.

I could be wrong and he is too busy. Maybe he thinks I am a scammer. Hmmm? Btw he joined hub at 19:18 ( yesterday) and sent me first pm by 19:25.

So I was contacted via pm by a buyer ( 23michael) on the hub wanting to buy my bike and offer was made which I accepted in principle. Buyer is in KZN wanting to have friend in Cape Town check out bike for him. I asked him to contact me this morning telephonically and we could discuss arrangements. My request yesterday via pm was to have his friend see bike, buyer makes eft and once cleared I would hand bike over. I am yet to hear from buyer via pm or telephone. He has been online today so I see no reason why he has not made contact.

I could be wrong and he is too busy. Maybe he thinks I am a scammer. Hmmm? Btw he joined hub at 19:18 ( yesterday) and sent me first pm by 19:25.

Ask Rouxtjie!

Maybe he's actually busy and still needs to contact his friend to arrange seeing the bike?

100 apologies Saheeb.

Perhaps he's busy. Give it a bit.

Mon-goose prettymuch has it spot on. No drawable money, no bike.

its sounds like all the scams that get run thru gumtree etc

buyer is not around needs a friend to collect pay by eft etc

I think you are correct to be very cautious  ..

Hang on a bit. I did say possible scam. Buyer contacted me. Waiting for EFT to clear.

A guy contacted me yesterday to buy a bike from me as well. First issue i have is he is also new member. I googled him a bit and he looks legit.

But he is in cape town and is possibly coming to come and check the bike out this weekend.

I will only take cash.

If I were you i would tell him to EFT the money to his friend and ask him to pay you cash and if you are afraid of counterfeit money, ask him to meet you at a bank and ask a teller to confirm that the money is real. Or have him deposit into your account at the bank while you standing there.

If/when the money shows in your account. Make sure it doesn't say CHEQUE DEPOSIT.

If it does. Wait a week to make sure the money stays in your account

I have been in a similar situation before as a buyer. 

Most of the bikes I have wanted to buy are in JHB or CT and I have needed to organise a friend to go and look at them. Most of the time I couldnt get anyone there in time so had to pass up on the deal.

I always made sure the seller was informed though and made sure I didnt waste their time.

Advice form a buyer to Sellers:

I have bought a two frames and some  other stuff on the hub.

As I am not even in SA, I also had to have friends check out stuff for me.

This does not make a buyer suspect. Although it is a "modus operandi" of scammers.

As a buyer, I see the sellers point of view and never asked any of the items to collected before the seller notified me that the money is in their bank account. I have always been

patient until the seller was satisfied with the money transaction.  

It would be unreasonable from the buyer to expect anything else. 

If a buyer is in a hurry or pressure you in any way . . . walk away.

Never be a keen/eager seller, if your deal is good, wait for the next legit buyer.   

Edited by IH8MUD

Whilst I totally understand your caution, every new member joining the hub is not a scammer.

I also sold a bike a couple of years ago to someone that had just signed up to the Hub.

Needed to post the bike to him.

I was initially worried to sell to a new Hubber.

There were a number of telltale signs that the guy was legit.

1. He used his real name which checked out on facebook and racetec.(Could see that he was indeed a cyclist)

2. His e mail was a buisness email address and not a gmail/yahoo address.

3. His cell number corresponded to a contact number on his business website.

4. The delivery address checked out on google maps/ street view.

All worked out well in the end.

I got my money and the buyer got a lovely bike for a bargain.

Edited by funjunkie