Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

I'm not sure Dave. It's on CoCT land and therefore another win for mountain bikers. I'm not sure it relates to the discussion around links to and from the Table Mountain National Park, to one day become part of the peninsula route - which may even need links through private land. But who knows, it may at some point connect safely to Deer Park from town as an access node.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's approved but not open yet. I heard MOU's were being signed but this was in the closed newsletter to TMB members only. Signage is next to make it official.

Deon, i get a little glassy eyed with all the acronyms used here. MOU's and EMP's

I know i have strayed off track a little but WHEN will we be able to cycle the CoCT green belts in Constantia. Working with CoCT i would presume befoer the 'cork tree trail' is opened by TMNP

Deon, i get a little glassy eyed with all the acronyms used here. MOU's and EMP's

I know i have strayed off track a little but WHEN will we be able to cycle the CoCT green belts in Constantia. Working with CoCT i would presume befoer the 'cork tree trail' is opened by TMNP

You can cycle them now...just not officially

You can cycle them now...just not officially

Yeh right!

That's how this discussion started 9 weeks ago, cycling the 'cork tree trail' when it was perceived to be open on a trial basis but at the same time TMNP were issuing "Written Notice To Appear In Court" for being there on a bicycle

Just a time frame, that's all we want, then we will go and cycle somewhere else in the interim

Yeh right!

That's how this discussion started 9 weeks ago, cycling the 'cork tree trail' when it was perceived to be open on a trial basis but at the same time TMNP were issuing "Written Notice To Appear In Court" for being there on a bicycle

Just a time frame, that's all we want, then we will go and cycle somewhere else in the interim

Ja, it's that perception that has again made people angry for getting in trouble and hate on parks even more. 

Hey, just out of interest, what if I told you I have a document in my hand that says the speed limit is now 140. Would you blindly believe me and get angry with the cop?

RE timeframe: IF Cecelia is ever opened to bikes, it won't be before December. Ride your bikes elsewhere.

I think he's referring to Green belts NOT Cecilia

I think he's referring to Green belts NOT Cecilia

I read in Rob's post somewhere that the greenbelts are hardly ever policed so the chances of being caught are slim. I dunno about this so I've steered clear, it was also somewhere on the same page that suggested Cecelia was now on trial.. each to their own I guess.  

Not meaning to add fuel or anything like that, but how come tmnp have been working around the clock to fix footpaths and bridges for non paying visitors? The mtb community pays to make use of trails etc and werent shown the same opportunity

Found this, possible dates for Silvermine included. Have not varified. Saddly still a long wait.

Silvermine to reopen soon

PRESS STATEMENT: POST FIRE REHABILITATION UPDATE: RE-OPENING OF BURNT AREAS

20 August 2015: Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) takes pleasure in announcing the re-opening of certain burnt areas which had been closed off to the public. Restoration work started immediately after the fire with attention to both restoring access as well as the natural elements. Now, five months after the fire, fynbos recovery is showing great progress and mountain lovers can once again look forward to their favourite hikes and to see the wonders of fynbos.

The recovery of fynbos had been closely monitored by a number of scientists, studying the return of plants and animals after the fire. SANParks Regional Ecologist, Carly Cowell, has worked with the rehabilitation teams and is satisfied with the diversity of plants returning, as well as the distribution of plants across the burnt area. Camera traps and spoor are providing evidence of animal movements while other signs show the return of insects, birds and reptiles to the area. “However, everything is still in a very delicate stage,” says Cowell.

Park management has therefore been advised to open the burnt area in a phased approach, where veld recovery and footpath rebuilding has shown good progress. Area Manager Gavin Bell says: ”teams have been hard at work implementing rehabilitation plans to allow for the re-opening of certain areas.”

This has certainly been the case in the mountains above Lakeside, Muizenberg, St James and Kalk Bay which TMNP foresees re-opening to the public at the start of SA National Parks Week which runs from 14th - 19th September 2015 and is a week of free entry to all parks in the country.

Permitted recreational activities in the re-opened areas mentioned above will continue as before, including hiking and dog walking with people kindly requested to remain on demarcated footpaths and to be mindful of rules pertaining to keeping dogs under control. Re-opened paths following the fires in the park include:

- Pecks Valley

- Bailey’s Kloof

- Spes Bona

- Echo Valley

- Trappies Kop

- Ou Kraal and

- Steenberg Plateau

In the Cape of Good Hope section of the park, the Gifkommetjie and Circles Vlei areas are now open to the public after the area was extensively burnt in March. Teams have been working around the clock to re-build the various walkways and footpaths destroyed during the blaze.

Burnt infrastructure has also been replaced as well as the demarcation of existing routes and the inclusion of new, more visible signage. The unique Olifanstbos Beach-Cottage at Cape Point was also closed and is now open for bookings (see: www.sanparks.org/tourism/reservations/).

Teams are now moving to the rest of the Silvermine area including the mountains above Hout Bay, Noordhoek and Constantia as part of the rehabilitation programme with the re-opening of this part of Silvermine envisaged by the end of December 2015.

The Upper Tokai section of the park remains closed with rehabilitation work still in progress. However the possibility of an opening by end of next year is in sight. We plead for more patience and ask that people assist us by remaining out of all burnt areas while Mother Nature heals herself

Thanks for posting Creek. That is the correct statement not like the one that appeared in the Cape Times where a very creative bit of writing may have insinuated that Tokai and Silvermine are now open, which they are not. 

Please not that Tokai is not open until late 2016.

Fcng newspapers are useless. The Hub, sorry, The Bikehub, is a HUGE lot better at getting it right!

You won't believe what else I just read!!

facepalm1.jpg

You won't believe what else I just read!!

Oscar killed that family in Stellies with an axe? That's the kind of thing they'll write. Edited by DJR