Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

Deon, this sounds very exciting! Can't wait to see what is planned

Does this EMP cover an offroad cycling route joining the southern section of the park to the northern slopes of Table Mountain?

As Myles says, the link is certainly included in the document... it is a creative one that traverses city, parks and private land but a link it sure is. There's more, but maybe this is info best saved for the release.

Re Parks requesting the route, it was only because they expected one of the drafts to be further than what we provided. This caught us all pleasantly off-guard..

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a deep sigh of relief! Really glad to hear this Deon. Good news indeed. Does this mean that the adoption of trails should be happening around May as per comment in reply 297?

Edit: correction of month and referencing the applicable reply.

Almost to the day! The advertisements are now approved, Parks have committed 24k to the press ads and will appear on the 4th April to announce the opening of the comments period until 4 May. It will be hard to guess how long the period is before all the comments have been responded to but it has ben assumed the final sign-off will be before the end of May. It obviously helps to have more comments in support but this is wishful thinking.

That said, feel free to comment on how much you support the link and conforming to the code of conduct for sharing of trails.  ^_^

Almost to the day! The advertisements are now approved, Parks have committed 24k to the press ads and will appear on the 4th April to announce the opening of the comments period until 4 May. It will be hard to guess how long the period is before all the comments have been responded to but it has ben assumed the final sign-off will be before the end of May. It obviously helps to have more comments in support but this is wishful thinking.

That said, feel free to comment on how much you support the link and conforming to the code of conduct for sharing of trails. ^_^

Very good news Deon. As soon as the process opens I will more than happily send Parks an email clearly conveying my support of both yourselves and them and for the proposed Southern/Northern link. It's been long (quiet) haul by you guys and I am stoked that your hard work and dedication has payed off as well as it has! Keep up the good work!

Very good news Deon. As soon as the process opens I will more than happily send Parks an email clearly conveying my support of both yourselves and them and for the proposed Southern/Northern link. It's been long (quiet) haul by you guys and I am stoked that your hard work and dedication has payed off as well as it has! Keep up the good work!

thanks guys.. 

I think it is important that as many of us as possible make written submissions with constructive suggestions if we have any. The more support that is shown, the harder it is for the naysayers views to hold sway. 

I must admit that my interest is primarily in getting Tokai opened again. The rest of the trails will be nice to have but will never be the same as custom built mtb tracks with DH options as we had at Tokai.

I think it is important that as many of us as possible make written submissions with constructive suggestions if we have any. The more support that is shown, the harder it is for the naysayers views to hold sway.

I must admit that my interest is primarily in getting Tokai opened again. The rest of the trails will be nice to have but will never be the same as custom built mtb tracks with DH options as we had at Tokai.

Agreed the more emails there are in support of Tokai MTB the better and hopefully it'll lead to having an opening to begin building trails again and having it open to the public asap. All that said I think if we all asked that there be a proper diversity of trails in Tokai I am sure Tokai MTB could definitely get approval for DH lines to be built/shaped there. At this stage we can pretty much ask for any kind if trail it's really depending on all us standing together as a diverse mtb community saying everyone's mtb needs can be met within the Tokai precinct. Or at least that's my opinion.

We spent a lot of time (±6 months) developing a concept plan modelled around a world class offering for the future trails in Tokai, which also had to take into account the biodiversity objectives and other requirements of the new landscape. We presented in May, just two months after the fire and it would be an understatement to say that it was well-recieved. We were able to offer some solid direction for recreation soon after the closure while management were still coming to grips with how best to manage the damage.

Up to this point, no other group had presented what it was that we as users have been asking for for so long. The presentation was even stopped half-way to ask if "that" (a beautifully carved track flowing off into the distance) is really what we were needing and excitement only swelled from there. We were subsequently asked to provide a feasibility study from the business guys – which we have since developed along with several other documents.

So yes, we need to consider all from young to not-so-young, and new to seasoned professionals. Tokai basically had that already, now we are just asking for more. 

• 5 years later...
On 6/20/2015 at 9:48 PM, GiantSpez said:

15 years that we are waiting, right Tim.

and so you will be waiting some more.

TMNP is a joke.

We now ride the much friendlier trails of the Tygerberg Mtb club. On private farms.

so, wen tmnp opens Tokai again I doubt if anyone will be interested.

tmnp just killed their business

????

This aged well...