Crush Washers

JXV

Is there a good reason why I can't re-use existing crush washers after cleaning wipers and replacing bath oil in fox forks

Yes and No.

The crush washer deforms when tightening causing a seal. They can be reused a few times but you would need to check there are no leaks.

The no part is because most mechanical qualified will only do this if there no other options. They are usually cheap and can cause major headaches if they fail. 

Anyone know where to buy crush washers via a hardware store or can this only be found through a lbs?

Most spares shops (automotive) and good bolt and nut supplies / industrial supplies will stock compressible washers. Preferably aluminium ones or you can use one called a doubty washer wich has a rubber seal built into the washer. Also try hydraulic supplies.

Thanks all. I really only want to re-use it once. In a few months time I do a service and install a new kit

If you have access to a workshop you can just make some from copper/brass rod. I managed to have some made at work. Otherwise like Ampandy said visit hardware stores and bolt/nut places with your old one.

Used my washers numerous times after a lowers service on a F32. No issues at all. Just make sure you wind the washer onto the stud first then add the nut.

Thanks all. I really only want to re-use it once. In a few months time I do a service and install a new kit

Heat it up RED hot before you reuse it.

The develop some work hardening from use - you want to remove that.

Anyone know where to buy crush washers via a hardware store or can this only be found through a lbs?

I'd suggest a suspension workshop...

:ph34r:

OP, you can reuse them if they're no too squashed, just make sure they're clean. The stud seals onto the inside of the lowers with an o ring, so it shouldn't cause leaks.

If the washer stays stuck to the footnut, just leave it there and thread the whole thing on in one go.

Cairbre, rather use them the same way round if you're going to reuse them - that way they'll fit better into the recess in the footnut rather than flaring over the edge.

That is called annealing. If you going to re use a 1 rand washer at least follow above advice.

That is called annealing. If you going to re use a 1 rand washer at least follow above advice.

Fox (and RS) crush washers are nylon, so replace 'anneal' with 'melt' or 'set on fire'.

Fox (and RS) crush washers are nylon, so replace 'anneal' with 'melt' or 'set on fire'.

OK - but my suggestion holds.... :)

Unlike a copper washer they won't be reusable after "annealing" which is fine... toss away...

It's Ok I know enough not to try and anneal a non metallic washer [emoji6]

Have annealled many a copper sump plug washer on various vehicles in my time.