2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

Wishing the 'curtain raisers" , as per the roll call list, Stewart, David, Rob, Colleen, Murray,Dave and Steve all the best on the start of their Freedom Challenge, as being the first group cutting markers along the trail tomorrow! ....... :clap: HAVE A BLAST!

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wishing the 'curtain raisers" , as per the roll call list, Stewart, David, Rob, Colleen, Murray,Dave and Steve all the best on the start of their Freedom Challenge, as being the first group cutting markers along the trail tomorrow! ....... :clap: HAVE A BLAST!

Clap clap, looking forward to following all your journeys to Rhodes. Be safe, endure and accomplish your personal goals for this journey. Hope you all get what you want from it and more... have an absolute blast guys...Enjoy :clap:

Good luck to all 2016'rs.

Am thinking of doing it next year. But looking for advice on bikes. Hardtail or full suspension or no suspension? And is weight the main criteria? Or is it wheel size or something else?

Good luck to all 2016'rs.

Am thinking of doing it next year. But looking for advice on bikes. Hardtail or full suspension or no suspension? And is weight the main criteria? Or is it wheel size or something else?

been won on a giant rincon with vbrakes... Don't worry about the bike, get mind and body right first

been won on a giant rincon with vbrakes... Don't worry about the bike, get mind and body right first

Agree fully. Freedom Challenge is 'bigger than any bike. Its the mind you have to wrap around the magnitude of such a race. The body is just a vessel that needs to be in shape to carry that mind and what it tells you to do. The bike is just your transport, no matter what it is; carbon or alu. 26'er or 29er. hardtail or soft....its just merely transport........your only mode of transport  ;)

Agree fully. Freedom Challenge is 'bigger than any bike. Its the mind you have to wrap around the magnitude of such a race. The body is just a vessel that needs to be in shape to carry that mind and what it tells you to do. The bike is just your transport, no matter what it is; carbon or alu. 26'er or 29er. hardtail or soft....its just merely transport........your only mode of transport  ;)

Love the difference in perspective on this event is viewed compared to other races....

That said, I have done a number of long distance events on a hardtail (love my hardtail) and I think after a few days & 100's kilos the extra bumps your body take would start taking it's toll when riding a hardtail and the extra suspension would have made a noticeable difference. Personally I would opt for a full suspension if I have the choice.

Love the difference in perspective on this event is viewed compared to other races....

That said, I have done a number of long distance events on a hardtail (love my hardtail) and I think after a few days & 100's kilos the extra bumps your body take would start taking it's toll when riding a hardtail and the extra suspension would have made a noticeable difference. Personally I would opt for a full suspension if I have the choice.

and factor in carrying 10 - 13kg on you back as well.

Eina!

Race Office welcomes Rider 27 - Johann Rissik

The 2016 Freedom Challenge is about to get underway and we are looking forward to an exciting event. With a capacity field this year, the Race Office has needed to expand to accommodate this growth and we are excited to welcome Rider 27 - Johann Rissik into the fray. He needs little introduction, having been involved in the Freedom Challenge from the early years - many riders already know him for his roadside coffee stop near Prince Albert and for working his magic on their ailing bikes at Dennehof. As a proud Blanket Wearer, he will serve as Race Director for 2016.

Race Office welcomes Rider 27 - Johann Rissik

The 2016 Freedom Challenge is about to get underway and we are looking forward to an exciting event. With a capacity field this year, the Race Office has needed to expand to accommodate this growth and we are excited to welcome Rider 27 - Johann Rissik into the fray. He needs little introduction, having been involved in the Freedom Challenge from the early years - many riders already know him for his roadside coffee stop near Prince Albert and for working his magic on their ailing bikes at Dennehof. As a proud Blanket Wearer, he will serve as Race Director for 2016.

Help out a noob here? Is he going to ride and be race director simultaneously? Or does Rider 27 mean something else?

When you complete a FC event you keep your number permanently (one of the many small special things about these events). Johann is no 27. He is not riding this year.

Can any of the "live tracking" experts help.

Is there any way, when the webpage updates, to stop the map reverting to map from satellite, and is there any way to see what time the riders were at certain places and thus give us an idea of how long they stopped at Minerva

Archived