JUMA Guide

Courtney99

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep my number with the Doc's.  Last time I had more damaged wheels in the shop than the Epic and Sani combined!

Sadly I was one of those.....

So any specific reason the wheels were damaged(more so than at Sani or Epic)?

Something one could look out for?

Well if you are looking for comfy knee guards, I have ridden with the G-Form ones for over a year. You barely notice they are there. BUT sadly, the build quality isn't so hot, the stitching has come loose and rendered the pads useless. and this was with NO FALLS, just wearing them.

I just bought a set of Alpine Stars enduro type pads, will be testing them this weekend for comfort...will riding minimum 40km tomorrow with them and see how they feel.

But yeah, Knee Guards are a massive confidence booster! Worth every cent!

I will be using them and my full face helmet at JUMA, cant be too safe even though I only have a hard tail.

For sure! Not out there to hurt myself.

I can remember from my motocross days when the Leatt brace just came out and I got one. Lent it to my brother one day so he can try it out and that first lap out with it he crashed himself into ICU cracked his C1 -doctor reckons he would probably not have made it without the brace. Goes to show can never be prepped enough.

On the other hand a full face helmet is a bit of overkill for XC for me,but if it makes you feel comfortable go for it! I cant ride without full gloves

Personally the best confidence booster I have is a good medical aid!

Definitely agree with that one - and boy have I got my money's worth from them... 

A little advice..

Don't do it..

Reason - see one of my posts ...

Over 140 casualties in last year's. .

Won't go on but if you are new to mtb... not wise

I did it last year, and absolutely loved it! The traffic was insane, but hopefully it will be sorted out this year.

I did not find anything more dangerous on route than at any other mtb race, only thing I didn't like was that the marshals wanted us to walk some of the bridges, this was slippery as hell with cycling shoes.

I had no issues with the tunnel, as long as you can ride a straight line with 20% vision it shouldn't be a problem. My partner was actually riding with one hand recording a video with the other at some point in the tunnel.

Just some advice, take a LOT of water! This year I'm taking 2.5l in my camelback

I did it last year, and absolutely loved it! The traffic was insane, but hopefully it will be sorted out this year.

I did not find anything more dangerous on route than at any other mtb race, only thing I didn't like was that the marshals wanted us to walk some of the bridges, this was slippery as hell with cycling shoes.

I had no issues with the tunnel, as long as you can ride a straight line with 20% vision it shouldn't be a problem. My partner was actually riding with one hand recording a video with the other at some point in the tunnel.

Just some advice, take a LOT of water! This year I'm taking 2.5l in my camelback

Thats kinda what i thought,I looked at some of the Go-Pro vids on Youtube and there was nothing seriously hectic there.Other than the floating bridge and some of the scaffolding leading into the channels there was nothing i don't do on my normal rides.

I saw the guys were slipping on their backsides on the scaffolding! If I ride with clipless shoes i have already hijacked some grippy neoprene carpet and polyurethane sheets to stick under the shoes to create more grip. It will also stop my feet from sliding off when trying to clip in.

Hydration seems to be a major issue,will ensure that I bring enough-and not in a waterbottle held in my cage as previously stated!

For sure! Not out there to hurt myself.

I can remember from my motocross days when the Leatt brace just came out and I got one. Lent it to my brother one day so he can try it out and that first lap out with it he crashed himself into ICU cracked his C1 -doctor reckons he would probably not have made it without the brace. Goes to show can never be prepped enough.

On the other hand a full face helmet is a bit of overkill for XC for me,but if it makes you feel comfortable go for it! I cant ride without full gloves

Agreed a full face is overkill in XC, that's why I still use a normal helmet for NORMAL mtb races. JUMA is anything but normal and I wouldn't want to crack my face on all the concrete this race will have.

On a personal note, after noticing all the facial injuries, shattered jaws, destroyed smile and general brutality of the facial injuries, I think they should make full face the standard. Just check out the 2015 MET Parachute, that this is super light with perfect ventilation. But that's just my 2c.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys! This has helped me quite a bit. This would be my first JUMA so I am really looking forward to the race. I've done a few races in the past so luckily it isn't my first MTB race. Just to summarize what has been said:

- Have enough hydration (preferably in a camelback)

- Get there nice and early

- Bring extra lighting (doesn't have to be excessive, just enough to get you through the tunnel)

- General spares (e.g. inner tube, spare master link for chain, that kind of thing??? )

- Run SPD's nice and loose (I generally do, especially when I don't know the course... you never know what obstacle is lurking around the corner) 

- Have basic technical skills

What else am I missing guys?

What about goo's and snacks?

And final prep for the race, in terms of bicycle maintenance, any tips there?

Thanks guys! This thread is exactly what I was looking for. :)

I just hope they do something about the concrete drains with algae/slow moving water. Absolutely no grip. Do not touch the brakes. Came down on a straight section

Agreed a full face is overkill in XC, that's why I still use a normal helmet for NORMAL mtb races. JUMA is anything but normal and I wouldn't want to crack my face on all the concrete this race will have.

On a personal note, after noticing all the facial injuries, shattered jaws, destroyed smile and general brutality of the facial injuries, I think they should make full face the standard. Just check out the 2015 MET Parachute, that this is super light with perfect ventilation. But that's just my 2c.

Are you suggesting full face helmets should be compulsory for the JUMA?

Are you suggesting full face helmets should be compulsory for the JUMA?

Not only for JUMA, in general. Unfortunately it would be an expensive exercise to get everyone to convert due to the psychotic costs of a full face.

Like I said, I have seen some horrific things coz of the lack of facial protection. Even just a type of chin bar would be good. Specially since medical aid generally doesn't cover dentistry.

Personally I don't ride with a full face permanently but depending on the track I might. So maybe not make it compulsory but highly recommended...  People don't really grasp just how much damage rocks, trees, stairs, concrete or metal ramps can do til you see it first hand. But this is just my 2c. 

I just got a really cool enduro style helmet as a gift and will probably use it instead of my full face for JUMA. Haven't quite decided yet...

I just hope they do something about the concrete drains with algae/slow moving water. Absolutely no grip. Do not touch the brakes. Came down on a straight section

Sadly there wont be much they can do about that, it's a natural occurrence. You would have the same issue crossing a stream on a normal trail, or on wooden bridges under trees where moss can grow after rains.(Almost broke my hip again at Rosemary coz of that)

Last year they had marshals warning everyone to stay out the water and to look out for it but that stuff is pretty sneaky...caught me more than once and that was the day I learnt that it is possible to power-slide a mountain bike...

Just a correction to what you said - there is some nasty stuff that can will splash on your bottles.

Toilet paper companies and pharmacies smiled at the profits from JUMA related jipo-guts last year....they made a good deal of cash out of me that following week