JUMA Guide

Courtney99

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start this thread as an advice thread on gear to bring and what to expect to people doing the JUMA for the first time this year and for those who are doing it again this year to be better prepared.

I know lots of people out there who didnt enjoy it last year and who think it is overpriced,please be nice guys-dont spoil the thread.!

Ok to business,this will be my first year doing the JUMA. I have been prepping for this a while and have finally built my new bike to do the race.

What I would like to know:

* Ive only recently (last weekend) started using SPD shoes,but think im gonna ditch them for the race.People were sliding their backsides off on the scaffolding and in the channels in their  cycling shoes and there were lots of stop and go's so just for me to be confident im gonna stick with some good flat pedals and running shoes. What do you guys reckon from your side?

* Considering the conditions,what tires should be used? Currently running Maxxis Crossmark in the rear and Continental Mountain king in the front

* They suggest bringing some sort of lighting,Ive got a pretty decent headlamp. That OK?

* Any other non-standard equipment that I should look at thats quite JUMA specific?

Thats about it from my side

Please feel free to add your own questions and experiences

Thanks guys

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start this thread as an advice thread on gear to bring and what to expect to people doing the JUMA for the first time this year and for those who are doing it again this year to be better prepared.

I know lots of people out there who didnt enjoy it last year and who think it is overpriced,please be nice guys-dont spoil the thread.!

Ok to business,this will be my first year doing the JUMA. I have been prepping for this a while and have finally built my new bike to do the race.

What I would like to know:

* Ive only recently (last weekend) started using SPD shoes,but think im gonna ditch them for the race.People were sliding their backsides off on the scaffolding and in the channels in their  cycling shoes and there were lots of stop and go's so just for me to be confident im gonna stick with some good flat pedals and running shoes. What do you guys reckon from your side?

* Considering the conditions,what tires should be used? Currently running Maxxis Crossmark in the rear and Continental Mountain king in the front

* They suggest bringing some sort of lighting,Ive got a pretty decent headlamp. That OK?

* Any other non-standard equipment that I should look at thats quite JUMA specific?

Thats about it from my side

Please feel free to add your own questions and experiences

Thanks guys

I did it last year and only thing I'll do differently is some lighting up front. Won't be taking my headlamp though as I think it is a bit overkill for 0.1% of the overall route being in that tunnel. Just something to light up your immediate surroundings should be fine - 30 lumen or so.

If you plan on getting off the bike a lot then definitely rather wear running shoes. I've found it is safer to stay cleated in rather than getting on and off the bike for obstacles BUT if you are a novice then you are better off on tekkies. Cycling shoes on those platforms, ramps, sewers and some rocks... not so much.

Other than that - just take normal gear & spares as you do when you do a normal ride / race.

Welcome to the Hub by the way and good luck with Juma!

I did it last year and only thing I'll do differently is some lighting up front. Won't be taking my headlamp though as I think it is a bit overkill for 0.1% of the overall route being in that tunnel. Just something to light up your immediate surroundings should be fine - 30 lumen or so.

If you plan on getting off the bike a lot then definitely rather wear running shoes. I've found it is safer to stay cleated in rather than getting on and off the bike for obstacles BUT if you are a novice then you are better off on tekkies. Cycling shoes on those platforms, ramps, sewers and some rocks... not so much.

Other than that - just take normal gear & spares as you do when you do a normal ride / race.

Welcome to the Hub by the way and good luck with Juma!

Hi Courtney,

Welcome.

I agree with worriesnot, I rode last year and that tunnel was terrifying when I went in with speed, wearing my sunglasses and there was almost no lighting.

They (event organisers) say that there will be more lighting this year, but, having your own will help - remember, this year the tunnel is downhill so you'll be going through much quicker.

I can't say there is anything specific to the race that I wanted/needed.

They've at least split the 22km and 55km routes, so hopefully the bottlenecks will be minimized.

In the words of my othopaedic surgeon (don't worry, unrelated to JUMA :P)... "don't fall" ;)

Used to race MX,falling is part of the fun-if you dont have one or two bumps and grazes you werent trying! That look you get when your girlfriend sees your bloody knees and and torn shirt is not so fun...

But on a serious note I,and most other people there are not trying to prove something so no use in asking to be hurt.

Ensure sufficient hydration for yourself. Don't rely on advertised water stations.

Great,was planning on using a 2l bladder with water and a waterbottle with Game or similar for a energy and electrolite boost,which brings me to...

Use a camelbak.

A bottle on your frame will get some nasty germs splashed onto it

Makes lots on sense!Will stick my bottle in my backpack.

A skills training session...

Not a bad idea for the future.

But I suppose a bit late for that,although im not too worried about technical skills.

I have been mountainbiking for about 8 years now as a weekend warrior,and spent my youth finding things to drop off of and bunnyhop over(to the dismay of my poor decommissioned Raleigh Nomad:)). 

But that raises a good point,any skills I could add to my normal training in the next few weeks? 

If you are riding with SPD's... Set the tension loose enough so you can quickly get your foot out but still tight enough to handle jumps and bumpy bits. I permanently run my SPD's like this and it's a massive confidence booster on the trails as it lets you dab your foot when things get fun... just make sure you can get your foot back in quick!

I leaned my bike against a wall in the beginning and practiced and set them while watching TV, there was an additional soundtrack of complaints from the SO but I suppose that's what I get for redecorating the floors with awesome mud patterns!

If you are riding with SPD's... Set the tension loose enough so you can quickly get your foot out but still tight enough to handle jumps and bumpy bits. I permanently run my SPD's like this and it's a massive confidence booster on the trails as it lets you dab your foot when things get fun... just make sure you can get your foot back in quick!

I leaned my bike against a wall in the beginning and practiced and set them while watching TV, there was an additional soundtrack of complaints from the SO but I suppose that's what I get for redecorating the floors with awesome mud patterns!

Awesome,

I think my problems with SPDs are all mental.Im quite good at basic skills like stoppies,wheelies and my trackstanding ( my no handed trackstand is a party trick of mine) but as soon as i am clipped in im like "remember youre clipped in so dont fall,dont fall,dont fall,dont fall,oh no my foot wont come out,this is going to hurt,why was i doing this on the tar road again?,hope no-one is watching,CRASH,***&%&()*(&(^*%^*,....." and then I limp back into the house only to repeat it again just now

They (SPD shoes) should make my riding better,more control,higher bunny hops. I can get out easy enough-if i remember im clipped in,but struggle to get back in afterwards. 

Will take your advice on the watching tv and clipping in and out.Nothing like repetition to build muscle memory!

I think with practice (and knee guards) Ill get confident in them.Planning some technical riding this weekend,will see how they fare! If im not comfortable by the end of the weekend Ill just put on my good old faithfull BMX pedals and rock it comfortably,there is always the 94.7...

Awesome,

I think my problems with SPDs are all mental.Im quite good at basic skills like stoppies,wheelies and my trackstanding ( my no handed trackstand is a party trick of mine) but as soon as i am clipped in im like "remember youre clipped in so dont fall,dont fall,dont fall,dont fall,oh no my foot wont come out,this is going to hurt,why was i doing this on the tar road again?,hope no-one is watching,CRASH,***&%&()*(&(^*%^*,....." and then I limp back into the house only to repeat it again just now

They (SPD shoes) should make my riding better,more control,higher bunny hops. I can get out easy enough-if i remember im clipped in,but struggle to get back in afterwards. 

Will take your advice on the watching tv and clipping in and out.Nothing like repetition to build muscle memory!

I think with practice (and knee guards) Ill get confident in them.Planning some technical riding this weekend,will see how they fare! If im not comfortable by the end of the weekend Ill just put on my good old faithfull BMX pedals and rock it comfortably,there is always the 94.7...

Well if you are looking for comfy knee guards, I have ridden with the G-Form ones for over a year. You barely notice they are there. BUT sadly, the build quality isn't so hot, the stitching has come loose and rendered the pads useless. and this was with NO FALLS, just wearing them.

I just bought a set of Alpine Stars enduro type pads, will be testing them this weekend for comfort...will riding minimum 40km tomorrow with them and see how they feel.

But yeah, Knee Guards are a massive confidence booster! Worth every cent!

I will be using them and my full face helmet at JUMA, cant be too safe even though I only have a hard tail.