JUMA Guide

Courtney99

I'll try stay just a lil in front of you in case I throw a tantrum about the lack of water tables, the abundance of bottlenecks, slimy surfaces, dark tunnels and lack of fully, totally gnarly wicked skillz from the dirt roadies, causing me fall down a slippery ramp into some feces, and break my hip, having to wait till Thursday before a medic gets to me...

Then you can help me... Or point and laugh...

I will bring a scalpel and give you a free circumcision if you stop in front of me.... :)

Who stops at water tables in such a short race.... ???

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bring a scalpel and give you a free circumcision if you stop in front of me.... :)

Who stops at water tables in such a short race.... ???

NO-ONE stops at water tables, ESPECIALLY NOT ME.........oooh look, FREE REDBULL!!!

I registered yesterday for the 54km, and I've got a SAS number, but the preregistration never asked for it?

I also don't see my self in any of the Batches on saseeding?

I assume it just takes some time for them to process entries and batch people.

To all the people whinging and moaning about the JUMA. A few points to consider:

Bottlenecks: I have seen more bottlenecks at Trailseeker and USN races this year than at JUMA last year. It is a fact of life. Sadly there will always be bring-your-bike-hikers, no matter where you go. Even on SANI2C from what I have heard.

Algae in the storm drains: BOOHOO! Clearly you have never done a river crossing or ridden a wooden bridge after weeks of rain if this is an issue. it is a PART OF NATURE even though it is in a man made structure. Ponds and puddle and stream crossings have the same issue but do you hear anyone complaining to Trailseeker(as an example) organizers that they need to clean the rivers? Besides, I have never heard a spruit rider moan about this.

Metal Bridges: Have you never ridden a slick rock section? That is far scarier than a level straight line metal bridge.

I know I am not the best rider, far from it in my books. I do give the hikers a load of crap during a race. But seriously, if you find the JUMA to be that bad, how are you even a mountain biker? Nature is far tougher and trickier. Common sense and less windgat moves will prevent you getting hurt in ANY race.

So as my buddy would say.... Chow a bag of concrete and HTFU! Grow a pair and have some fun.

Yes, last year was not very well organised, but it was THE FIRST OF IT's KIND in SA. Give the guys a break. So they learn. This year will be much better! And next year even more so!

USN has been running for a few years now and just look at the Stoke City race this year, what a colossal F*** UP! 

So take this race for what it is, a fun ride through Joburg in way that cant normally be done! HAVE FUN!!

I did it last year, and absolutely loved it! The traffic was insane, but hopefully it will be sorted out this year.

I did not find anything more dangerous on route than at any other mtb race, only thing I didn't like was that the marshals wanted us to walk some of the bridges, this was slippery as hell with cycling shoes.

I had no issues with the tunnel, as long as you can ride a straight line with 20% vision it shouldn't be a problem. My partner was actually riding with one hand recording a video with the other at some point in the tunnel.

Just some advice, take a LOT of water! This year I'm taking 2.5l in my camelback

The metal bridges have been painted with non-slip (I checked that out last weekend, its much much better than before).

To all the people whinging and moaning about the JUMA. A few points to consider:

Bottlenecks: I have seen more bottlenecks at Trailseeker and USN races this year than at JUMA last year. It is a fact of life. Sadly there will always be bring-your-bike-hikers, no matter where you go. Even on SANI2C from what I have heard.

Algae in the storm drains: BOOHOO! Clearly you have never done a river crossing or ridden a wooden bridge after weeks of rain if this is an issue. it is a PART OF NATURE even though it is in a man made structure. Ponds and puddle and stream crossings have the same issue but do you hear anyone complaining to Trailseeker(as an example) organizers that they need to clean the rivers? Besides, I have never heard a spruit rider moan about this.

Metal Bridges: Have you never ridden a slick rock section? That is far scarier than a level straight line metal bridge.

I know I am not the best rider, far from it in my books. I do give the hikers a load of crap during a race. But seriously, if you find the JUMA to be that bad, how are you even a mountain biker? Nature is far tougher and trickier. Common sense and less windgat moves will prevent you getting hurt in ANY race.

So as my buddy would say.... Chow a bag of concrete and HTFU! Grow a pair and have some fun.

Yes, last year was not very well organised, but it was THE FIRST OF IT's KIND in SA. Give the guys a break. So they learn. This year will be much better! And next year even more so!

USN has been running for a few years now and just look at the Stoke City race this year, what a colossal F*** UP! 

So take this race for what it is, a fun ride through Joburg in way that cant normally be done! HAVE FUN!!

You said it!

Anyone else listening to this rain and thinking this could make things interesting. A part of me is hoping we get a couple of days of rain to wash the much out of the storm water drains and make things really interesting on race day. But another part of me thinks the first part is an idiot.

This sounds a bit schizo. On one hand its lethal enough to warrant a full face helmet and now it's an average ride in the park. Please do wear a full face helmet on Sunday. I'm keen to have a little chuckle. If nothing else it will keep you a bit warmer

Anyone else listening to this rain and thinking this could make things interesting. A part of me is hoping we get a couple of days of rain to wash the much out of the storm water drains and make things really interesting on race day. But another part of me thinks the first part is an idiot.

Haha, as per the Velominati

1. Rule #9//
    If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

This sounds a bit schizo. On one hand its lethal enough to warrant a full face helmet and now it's an average ride in the park. Please do wear a full face helmet on Sunday. I'm keen to have a little chuckle. If nothing else it will keep you a bit warmer

Schizo? I don't know... I will have to consult with my other self and get back to you on that.

And yes, this race did warrant a full face when judging by how it went last year and it probably is still a good idea judging by this weather, but after chatting to the guys yesterday at number collection and seeing the improvements they have made, I reckon this is gonna be a walk in the park and far better than last year