Put 650b wheels on 26inch bike

Johno

I've seen some lekker 650b conversions with good results claimed.

But most of them just seem like an expensive experiment riddled with compromise.

Don't feel pressured to go 650b because of new standards. 

Save the money towards your next bike. The bike looks lekker. Just ride it. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some lekker 650b conversions with good results claimed.

But most of them just seem like an expensive experiment riddled with compromise.

Don't feel pressured to go 650b because of new standards. 

Save the money towards your next bike. The bike looks lekker. Just ride it. 

Agreed

I know its probably been asked before, but can 650b wheels be fitted to a 26inch bike and is it worth the effort to convert. Constructive thoughts and comments invited.

Put some 2.4 tyres on your bike and you'll be close to the 29er :thumbup:  :clap:

I have converted my Santa Cruz blur Trc to a 27.5 and it runs like a bomb...the moral of the story is some bikes you can and some bikes you cant

I have converted my Santa Cruz blur Trc to a 27.5 and it runs like a bomb...the moral of the story is some bikes you can and some bikes you cant

What size tyres?

No-one has mentioned the higher Bottom bracket which adversely affects handling, so I'll do it...

It will raise your bottom bracket and adversely affect your handling.

post-16512-0-48475500-1439383369_thumb.jpg

I popped a 650b wheel set onto this frame.

IMHO: It stuffed the balance of the bike up. Standing at a traffic light with the 26" wheels on, I could track stand the full traffic light cycle.

With the 650b wheels, I couldn't balance for 5 seconds.

It didn't work for me.

attachicon.gifhubmarket-16512-0-34510800-1350971185_med.jpg

I popped a 650b wheel set onto this frame.

IMHO: It stuffed the balance of the bike up. Standing at a traffic light with the 26" wheels on, I could track stand the full traffic light cycle.

With the 650b wheels, I couldn't balance for 5 seconds.

It didn't work for me.

looks like it balance on its own.

thing is, it's not even such an experiment anymore. unless you have quite a unique bike, someone has probably tried to convert your model of 26er. if it'a not to be found here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/list-27-5-compatible-26ers-376656.html

then google is your friend.

The reason for the pic is that its an awesome bike so not worth selling but was looking into the upgrade.

if it is an awesome bike and rides like a dream, why do you want to upgrade ?

rather borrow a bike and see how it rides. Because two bikes you will always neglect the one, despite us all having dreams of n+1

I saw Greg Minnaar on Super Cycling a while back. Santa Cruz ran a whole bunch of tests on 27.5 vs 26". There was no difference in performance. Despite of these tests SC still upgraded the V10 or should I say V8,5 to 27.5. Obviously SC will not make money out of their existing customers if they do not upgrade something.

It's all hype and BS, stick with the 26" wheels on your current bike.

If you're upgrading to a new bike, 27.5 makes sense, because parts and especially tires are easier to find.

I ride a HT and a FS that have been converted, only comment I will make is that if it were my only bike and clearance was minimal I wouldn't do it.

Other than that I read what people said, tried it for myself and I enjoy both of them .... and when people ask why 'cause I can'

Well! I popped a 27,5" front wheel onto my Ellsworth Truth. I now call it my monkey bike as rear wheel is still 26". Do 80% of my riding on it, especially if it twisty/enduro/xc type stuff. Also dropped the front derailleur and only ride 10 speed. Won't do long flat riding with it. But climbs like a bomb, is light and nimble

Let me tell you this - you've never seen such a XC machine! The Truth was always regarded as fairly aggressive XC bike. With the added inches the front is raised by about 3cm and it relaxes the geometry.

The back tyre is fairly big as well. Clearance isn't much front and back. If its wet I take my single speed out and have no problems :-)

I can try and find the article where a guy tested his Truth with 26" and 26+27,5" setup plus 29" bike (not sure what he used). After several tests the 26+27,5" came out tops - according to him. And I can believe it.

As for track stand - I can still do it. Seated or standing.