Louis Harmse/Spectrum Sport Sore losers!!!

.Heinz

.Heinz, lets put your post into perspective.

Louis Harmse snr, the event organiser was and always is out on the route during prize giving so to ASSUME that the prize giving results where altered to penalize you is just as juvenile as posting something like this on a public forum before making sure of any of your claims. So let me take the opportunity to state the facts on your behalf:

1. Louis Harmse jnr accepted his time penalty from the race commissaire as he acknowledged the fact that he received a CO2 bomb from a spectator. 

2. The prize giving was delayed due to some "No data" results that had to be sorted out before the cat prizes could be finalised.

3. If you have a look at the results, you will notice that your category is listed as Junior and not as Youth. for reasons like this, provisional results are put up before prize giving to give you an opportunity to rectify any issues before prize giving. this was announced on numerous occasions once provisional results were put up.

4. Category prizes were the same for all categories so to feel victimized is unfounded. as advertised, Prize money only to overall winners 1,2&3 (both distances) and Junior Cat in the 35km race, Hampers to cat winners

5. If you did not receive a prize for 3rd position please contact Spectrum sport as this may have been an over site but as far as i know there was a prize for 3rd position on the 35km

6. Due to your category being Junior on the results you would not have received a category prize as the winner of the 35km got that prize. There was no hamper prize for the youth category due to an over site. this was taken up at the race debrief and will be addressed in future.

7. SS timing is a service provider to Spectrum sport (even though they are family) SS Timing does not have any input into who gets prizes, the event organizer tells them what the prize giving cats are and SS timing provide the results accordingly (Prize giving cats are determined before the start of the race). these results are signed off by the Race commissaire to ensure that the results are correct.

I hope that the above puts your claims into perspective? may i suggest that if you still feel aggrieved after this, please PM me and i will give you Louis Snr telephone number and you can discuss the matter with him, as anybody will attest that knows Louis, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and i am sure he will assist where possible to accommodate you.

now just some advise from me, you are still a young rider and obviously have some talent to be able to finish at the sharp end of a race but believe me you are not going to win many friends in the sport by handling the matter the way you have. Louis jnr accepted his sanction due to the assistance but maybe it should be mentioned that he gave his bombs to another rider during the race, if he hadn't done that he would have been able to use his own bombs to inflate his tyre! but that my friend is how mountain bikers do it!

regards

PJ

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the beggining of this year I did a fairly popular road race on the east rand. Just a few days before the event the organisers had to do a route change due to road works. All entrants got emails as well as on the start line the announcer went over the change repeatedly. I was racing tandem that day and was in the initial break with 2 other male tandems and a mixed but then we got slightly gapped from them and where chasing for the last 60km and finished thinking we where 3rd male 4th overall. After we finished we recorded 112km and just under 3 hours. We where chatting to the guys that beat us and they tell us they did only 60 km and under 2 hours. It ended up they did the short route which split after we got gapped. The organisers had already picked this up and DQ'd them. We had accepted that we probably wouldn't have caught them and the results would have ended the same way anyway. But come prize giving they call us as the winners and the tandem that had won the sprint objected and said he would have won anyway. We had been called up already and had been given the prize money, this other tandem rider then decided to call us bad sports for accepting the win. We would have gladly let him take the money but the fact that he called us bad sports after we simply went with the organisers p!$$€d us off so we told him we where the fastest over 112km and that's the rules, a few choice words where said by all of us. We just wrote it off and don't let it hassle us. Will just try harder to beat them next time.

Louis Harmse snr, the event organiser was and always is out on the route during prize giving so to ASSUME that the prize giving results where altered to penalize you is just as juvenile as posting something like this on a public forum before making sure of any of your claims. So let me take the opportunity to state the facts on your behalf:

1. Louis Harmse jnr accepted his time penalty from the race commissaire as he acknowledged the fact that he received a CO2 bomb from a spectator.

2. The prize giving was delayed due to some "No data" results that had to be sorted out before the cat prizes could be finalised.

3. If you have a look at the results, you will notice that your category is listed as Junior and not as Youth. for reasons like this, provisional results are put up before prize giving to give you an opportunity to rectify any issues before prize giving. this was announced on numerous occasions once provisional results were put up.

4. Category prizes were the same for all categories so to feel victimized is unfounded. as advertised, Prize money only to overall winners 1,2&3 (both distances) and Junior Cat in the 35km race, Hampers to cat winners

5. If you did not receive a prize for 3rd position please contact Spectrum sport as this may have been an over site but as far as i know there was a prize for 3rd position on the 35km

6. Due to your category being Junior on the results you would not have received a category prize as the winner of the 35km got that prize. There was no hamper prize for the youth category due to an over site. this was taken up at the race debrief and will be addressed in future.

I hope that the above puts your claims into perspective? may i suggest that if you still feel aggrieved after this, please PM me and i will give you Louis Snr telephone number and you can discuss the matter with him, as anybody will attest that knows Louis, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and i am sure he will assist where possible to accommodate you.

now just some advise from me, you are still a young rider and obviously have some talent to be able to finish at the sharp end of race but believe me you are not going to win many friends in the sport by handling the matter the way you have. Louis jnr accepted his sanction due to the assistance but maybe it should be mentioned that he gave his bombs to another rider during the race, if he hadn't done that he would have been able to use his own bombs to inflate his tyre! but that my friend is how mountain bikers do it!

regards

PJ

Always 3 stories. Thanks for this insight.

"they tell us they did only 60 km and under 2 hours"

They were not eligible for the prize money as they did not complete the race.  There should be no contest here!!

"they tell us they did only 60 km and under 2 hours"

They were not eligible for the prize money as they did not complete the race. There should be no contest here!!

Not to derail the OP but yes. Unfortunately this guy was in fact really a sore loser.

It just sounds like someone covering for someone else.

It's a race. Follow the rules and you'll be fine.

It just sounds like someone covering for someone else.

It's a race. Follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Nail on the head!!!

I think it was this year's epic where jaro had an issue and susi didn't realise till he was quite far ahead. He knew the rules well enough to know he couldn't back track on the trail. As hard as it was for him he could do nothing but stand and wait. He even asked a cameraman if he had seen how far back jaro was and what was wrong.

Know the rules, stick to them and if you get penalised then accept it.

Nail on the head!!!

I think it was this year's epic where jaro had an issue and susi didn't realise till he was quite far ahead. He knew the rules well enough to know he couldn't back track on the trail. As hard as it was for him he could do nothing but stand and wait. He even asked a cameraman if he had seen how far back jaro was and what was wrong.

Know the rules, stick to them and if you get penalised then accept it.

This also goes for the organisers. If you say you will do something stick to it, you will only discredit yourselves if you make last minute changes even if it was not on purpose or for any other reason. 

1. Louis Harmse jnr accepted his time penalty from the race commissaire as he acknowledged the fact that he received a CO2 bomb from a spectator.

7. SS timing is a service provider to Spectrum sport (even though they are family) SS Timing does not have any input into who gets prizes, the event organizer tells them what the prize giving cats are and SS timing provide the results accordingly (Prize giving cats are determined before the start of the race). these results are signed off by the Race commissaire to ensure that the results are correct.

now just some advise from me, you are still a young rider and obviously have some talent to be able to finish at the sharp end of a race but believe me you are not going to win many friends in the sport by handling the matter the way you have. Louis jnr accepted his sanction due to the assistance but maybe it should be mentioned that he gave his bombs to another rider during the race, if he hadn't done that he would have been able to use his own bombs to inflate his tyre! but that my friend is how mountain bikers do it!

regards

PJ

Yoh. I believe the OP should be bowing to the muscle... [emoji123] [emoji123] [emoji123] The authority has spoken.

He felt he was treated wrongly. However immature that was, his perception was that he was punished for blowing the whistle.

Apologies, OP. Train harder, make better choices/decisions during the race. That is, control the elements in your performance what you can, and the minor stuff (people cheating) outside your control won't matter.

You clearly have talent. Keep at it

• 6. Due to your category being Junior on the results you would not have received a category prize as the winner of the 35km got that prize. There was no hamper prize for the youth category due to an over site. this was taken up at the race debrief and will be addressed in future

This is the problem here.

I run on a national sports body, if you advertise that there is a prize for young people then you better make a plan there and then to support them.

Adults are able to suck it up and carry on. We are talking about young people here and to them being awarded even a hand shake and a stand on the podium for their achievements is worth a whole lot, and it is better than nothing.

organisers and the sport will lose young people if you don't do what you say.

OVER SIGHT is not the fault of a young person so man up and say sorry. asking a young guy to suck it up is not the answer, we should be saying sorry for the mistake and well done for reporting an infringement to the rules. I must also say cudoes to young Harmse for taking the penalty, I know many people who would throw toys.

I can go on with this but I am going to stop here.

Yoh. I believe the OP should be bowing to the muscle... [emoji123] [emoji123] [emoji123] The authority has spoken.

He felt he was treated wrongly. However immature that was, his perception was that he was punished for blowing the whistle.

Apologies, OP. Train harder, make better choices/decisions during the race. That is, control the elements in your performance what you can, and the minor stuff (people cheating) outside your control won't matter.

You clearly have talent. Keep at it

Hi cjlieben

I am in no way the authority or would never profess to be one, however i do feel strongly about people making unsubstantiated claims regardless if they feel that they have been wronged or not. Its a simple process really, first gather the facts before taking to a public forum making claims about people especially when the people in question are totally innocent. Anything else in my opinion is pure defamation of character. My intention was not/is not to chastise the OP but rather to set the record straight. AS someone stated early in the thread, there is always 3 sides to a story.

What i want 2 know is ....

Due to your category being Junior on the results you would not have received a category prize as the winner of the 35km got that prize. There was no hamper prize for the youth category due to an over site.

.... Why is Heinz catagorised as a JUNIOR at the age of 16, and the guys who came 1st & 2nd in the YOUTH event are 15 and 16 (the latter older than Heinz)?

Also if you state prizes will be awarded to all cats, make SURE they are at prize giving. Excuses after the fact are not acceptable. Give the kid his rightful prize!!! To often people say suck it up and accept the outcome... BULL!! Get it right the first time.

.Heinz, lets put your post into perspective. Louis Harmse snr, the event organiser was and always is out on the route during prize giving so to ASSUME that the prize giving results where altered to penalize you is just as juvenile as posting something like this on a public forum before making sure of any of your claims. So let me take the opportunity to state the facts on your behalf: 1. Louis Harmse jnr accepted his time penalty from the race commissaire as he acknowledged the fact that he received a CO2 bomb from a spectator.  2. The prize giving was delayed due to some "No data" results that had to be sorted out before the cat prizes could be finalised. 3. If you have a look at the results, you will notice that your category is listed as Junior and not as Youth. for reasons like this, provisional results are put up before prize giving to give you an opportunity to rectify any issues before prize giving. this was announced on numerous occasions once provisional results were put up. 4. Category prizes were the same for all categories so to feel victimized is unfounded. as advertised, Prize money only to overall winners 1,2&3 (both distances) and Junior Cat in the 35km race, Hampers to cat winners 5. If you did not receive a prize for 3rd position please contact Spectrum sport as this may have been an over site but as far as i know there was a prize for 3rd position on the 35km 6. Due to your category being Junior on the results you would not have received a category prize as the winner of the 35km got that prize. There was no hamper prize for the youth category due to an over site. this was taken up at the race debrief and will be addressed in future. 7. SS timing is a service provider to Spectrum sport (even though they are family) SS Timing does not have any input into who gets prizes, the event organizer tells them what the prize giving cats are and SS timing provide the results accordingly (Prize giving cats are determined before the start of the race). these results are signed off by the Race commissaire to ensure that the results are correct. I hope that the above puts your claims into perspective? may i suggest that if you still feel aggrieved after this, please PM me and i will give you Louis Snr telephone number and you can discuss the matter with him, as anybody will attest that knows Louis, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and i am sure he will assist where possible to accommodate you. now just some advise from me, you are still a young rider and obviously have some talent to be able to finish at the sharp end of a race but believe me you are not going to win many friends in the sport by handling the matter the way you have. Louis jnr accepted his sanction due to the assistance but maybe it should be mentioned that he gave his bombs to another rider during the race, if he hadn't done that he would have been able to use his own bombs to inflate his tyre! but that my friend is how mountain bikers do it! regardsPJ

1. I agree 100% with your first point

2 . I can't say for sure what happened with the delay

3. I went to check all of the provisional results, there I was listed as youth (don't know what happened in between that results and final results)

4.as you say hampers to cat winners, I got nothing. Prize money to first 3 over all, they only called out the first 2, and the same at the juniors, only the first 2

5. If there was a prize for the 3rd position I did nor receive it, they did not call out my name

6. And lastly we already contacted Louis Harms Snr, He was aggressive towards us and did not even give us a chance to explain our situation. He said "we as the event organisers can do with the prize money and prizes what ever we want" and hung the phone up without giving us a chance to talk

I was going to leave it of of the hub until that conversation took place!

I feel that this is utterly unprofessional!!!

my 2 cents - age category errors happen all the time because different events use different criteria. This is why category results are posted before prizegiving to iron out these issues. You will not believe how many people just dont look at these and then complain afterwards..tough takkies boet - thats the reason they post them up before

second point - and in no means saying the OP falls in this category....but youth age categories are the worst...reason...parents are involved - and all parents feel that their little mary and johnny have been hard done by

Hi cjlieben I am in no way the authority or would never profess to be one, however i do feel strongly about people making unsubstantiated claims regardless if they feel that they have been wronged or not. Its a simple process really, first gather the facts before taking to a public forum making claims about people especially when the people in question are totally innocent. Anything else in my opinion is pure defamation of character. My intention was not/is not to chastise the OP but rather to set the record straight. AS someone stated early in the thread, there is always 3 sides to a story.

As I have replied before, I have gathered the facts and tried to sort this thing out without involving anyone or anything else. But after the selfone conversation where we told Louis Snr we would make this viral he also stated "you can take this wherever you like" and here we are now!!!

Archived