Garmin 510 vs 810 vs waiting for new 520

Furbz

Seriously? That's a perk somehow? :ph34r: When I'm out riding, the last thing I care about is a phone call...

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any comments from 520 owners?

How are the "buttons", as opposed to the 510 "touch screen"?

Also, how's battery life of the 520 compared to the 510?

Lastly, is the 510 still available?

I have the 520 now, use to have the 510, 

Personally, i didn't like the touch screen on the 510 , 

i like the buttons alot more, much easier to switch between screens while you are riding, 

Battery life on the 520 is more than sufficient , mine dies around the 13 hour mark , 

my 2c

I have the 510 and it's been a fantastic unit. Has not let me down ever. I would happily upgrade to the 520.

Reports on the intraweb indicate release of a 820 late this year. Does anyone have dates and facts to share?

I have the 510 and I'm happy with it. Its compact and I prefer the touchscreen to my previous 500 and that I can swipe across the screen to change the screen page while riding.

I would have gone for the 520, but I don't like the buttons.

I have had the 510 for about two years.  Always had issues with the touch screen changing between screens.  Not a biggie, but irritating.

Upgraded to 520, and was not so keen on the buttons.  But if you use the 520 up front mount, the buttons are accessible, and work a hell of a lot better than the touch screen 510.

If I was offered the 510 and 520, I would be prepared to pay more for the 520. Really enjoy it.

I even use more than one screen now, up to 4 just because I can.

Interesting that the 510 has a longer battery life than the 520, even though the latter is the newer model. Anybody know why that would be?

How's the display on the 510 versus the 520? My eyes aren't what they used to be, so a good daytime display and font size are important for me.

Also, anybody with an 810 - is it really worth it to have maps pre-loaded? I ride 90% MTB and 100% on roads I'm familiar with. Seems the 810 might be overkill for my needs.

My Polar RS800CX has given up on me after years of loyal but non-GPS service. I'm also looking at the Polar V650, but there aren't too many good write-ups that I've read yet.

Interesting that the 510 has a longer battery life than the 520, even though the latter is the newer model. Anybody know why that would be?

How's the display on the 510 versus the 520? My eyes aren't what they used to be, so a good daytime display and font size are important for me.

Also, anybody with an 810 - is it really worth it to have maps pre-loaded? I ride 90% MTB and 100% on roads I'm familiar with. Seems the 810 might be overkill for my needs.

My Polar RS800CX has given up on me after years of loyal but non-GPS service. I'm also looking at the Polar V650, but there aren't too many good write-ups that I've read yet.

BUMP

Just thought I'd post here.

Got myself the 520.

Absolutely awesome unit! Very happy with it

Got one as well a few weeks ago. Loving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another happy 520 user here. Had an 810 previously anf prefer the 520. Also like the buttons more than the touch screen.

BUMP

Hey flymango, the 810 doesn't have pre loaded maps. you will need to add them after. If you are riding around areas with roads then it is worth it. There are not any mapping companies I know of that are mapping single track, so for mtb it is generally not worth it. 

However the 810 is still a nice unit with a slightly bigger screen.

The 520 vs 510. 520 has a much better resolution screen. noticeably so. It is really good. I thought the buttons would be an issue vs the touch screen, but they actually work really well. I would definitely choose the 520 out of the current range.

The 1000 is my favourite but it is expensive and the battery life is not long enough imho. Still if you are doing rides less than 8 hours and are willing to charge a bit more often, then it is an excellent unit.

I upgraded from the 510 to the 520 mostly because the touch screen pissed me off, especially riding MTB and trying to clean off the mud etc. would chance screens all over the place. Hated it, far prefer the buttons, usual Garmin layout etc. so not too much to get used to.

I upgraded from the 510 to the 520 mostly because the touch screen pissed me off, especially riding MTB and trying to clean off the mud etc. would chance screens all over the place. Hated it, far prefer the buttons, usual Garmin layout etc. so not too much to get used to.

When used for mtb,  the 510 screen can get really scratched.

I bought a cellphone type of stick-on screen guard, but that needs to be replaced as I cant read the screen at certain sun angles. Otherwise a very nice unit.

I can only imagine that the 520 is just that much nicer/better because its more recent.

Archived