ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I did not break any land speed records. But I did it! First marathon, DONE!  :D

Stuck to the plan I had and ran well within myself. Then at about the 19-20k's I was still feeling fine when I just suddenly felt my calf shout out. Same spot I injured the week before the tunnel run. And then I ended walking the last 2 k's home on a 34k run. Went slower, but it was the hilly section of the race, where the calf will be tested. Saw the 4:15 bus pass, waved them goodbye and thought I'm not even going to bother, from here on finishing is the aim. I think that decision saved the day.

Just tried not to worry too much about it, keep it steady and keep going. Got to the turn on SSW bridge feeling good, but for the legs. Went through the hill up to 30k's passing a lot of people to my surprise, had a good stop there, banana piece and coke lekker rustig. But the rise into the gravel road was a killer for a sore calf - and by that time some compensation points started throwing notices as well. Just walked that bit and went on as soon as it flattened out a bit.

Next water stop got a quick rub on the calf and strangely after that, I just could not get going again. maybe it was the standing still whilst they were rubbing, maybe it was the unknown territory for my legs. Got home and my legs were very sore, they did not want to cooperate. 

But - I never felt that completely drained feeling I was expecting, the body felt good, just the legs that were shot. Last k - I simply could not stop grinning inside!

Strangely enough I commented to my wife yesterday that I was tired, but my legs were actually feeling better and less sore than after the Tunnel Run. I just might try this again... 

Now - how long do you guys lay off after a marathon? I did a recovery ride yesterday and was thinking of not doing any running at least till Wednesday or Thursday - and then only very short and light - and flat! Calf is better, some perdesalf, compression, rolling and anti-inflammotories sorted it out. Fortunately not serious, just knotting up at the top of the calf, joining the knee.

Nice race report.... 

What was your time ... i did Winelands as well ... i saw the 5h bus go past ... and waved to them  ... Had a calf muscle injury as well  at about 15 km .. but decided to finish ..

I rested for the week ... did nothing not even ride ... The on Saturday .. did a half marathon (Titans Mitchels plain) .. nothing impressive .. muscle was still sore .. but i finished .. in the rain ... 

next for me will be Velocity Silverstroom on 19 December ....  i hope i qualify on that one ...

Oh yes i have entered Comrades and 2 oceans Ultra .. will be my first Ultra's .. done Cape Town Marathon thrice ... every year a little bit better .. but still no Sub 5.

Training time is definitely an issue .. just cant get enough permission slips  ... lol

on a good week .. i do 25 km and another 20 or so on a weekend .. bad week 10 km in the week and 10 on a weekend ...

Good luck and all the best to all that's doing there first Ultra and Comrades in 2016 

I saw this morning :

Phobians Deloitte 28 Feb

10km, 21.1km, 42.2km

For those who want to come run in Pta.

From what I understand it is not a course to try for a fast qualifying time - but it will build character. 

I saw this morning :

Phobians Deloitte 28 Feb

10km, 21.1km, 42.2km

For those who want to come run in Pta.

From what I understand it is not a course to try for a fast qualifying time - but it will build character. 

You don't use the Deloitte's race as a qualifier. It is difficult but excellent training. I would definitely recommend it as a training run

Nice race report.... 

What was your time ... i did Winelands as well ... i saw the 5h bus go past ... and waved to them  ... Had a calf muscle injury as well  at about 15 km .. but decided to finish ..

I rested for the week ... did nothing not even ride ... The on Saturday .. did a half marathon (Titans Mitchels plain) .. nothing impressive .. muscle was still sore .. but i finished .. in the rain ... 

next for me will be Velocity Silverstroom on 19 December ....  i hope i qualify on that one ...

Oh yes i have entered Comrades and 2 oceans Ultra .. will be my first Ultra's .. done Cape Town Marathon thrice ... every year a little bit better .. but still no Sub 5.

Training time is definitely an issue .. just cant get enough permission slips  ... lol

on a good week .. i do 25 km and another 20 or so on a weekend .. bad week 10 km in the week and 10 on a weekend ...

Good luck and all the best to all that's doing there first Ultra and Comrades in 2016 

I realised that recovery from the marathon seems to actually still be ongoing! Well, foirst things first - officialdom awarded me a 4:24 finish. Despite me only stopping my watch after receiving the medal (did not realise the banners were not the finish line!) at 4:23. But whatever, I was there to finish... fortunately not a discrepancy that will cost me ito seeding or qualification! Just... weird.

My recovery attempts looked like this: The day after I took the MTB for a gentle almost 2h spin - ZERO legs on the climbs, it was laughable! (Slept like a log on Sunday!)

Wed morning a nice flat run - flat, not flatout! :P 

Then I found that the Run the Vines for this month was Saturday on a friend of mine's farm, so I had to enter that. About 1k into that, the Winelands legs screamed back at me! Great fun, though, think I did that in about 48min - and it was awesome to do a harder run for the first time in a long while and tax the legs a bit differently. I actually told a friend of mine I entered for that (my first RuntheVines) to protect me from myself, otherwise I'd have wanted to go run in the mountain! 

Sunday a 50-odd k MTB ride, no serious climbs. And yesterday I ran a bit of the mountain again for a change, was sooo lekker to be back on the dirt! 

Will try to enter for Oceans trail tomorrow. If not... I maaay consider Ultra.  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Some quick notes from the short-route runnertjie...

A) I got into Oceans Trail, so Ultra will have to wait for another year. (Is that a sense of relief?!)

B) Also entered for Oak Valley XL trail (and planning to do Jonkershoek Mountain Challenge as well)

C) Just now... before you think this should go into the Trail Running thread!... entered for the Bay2Bay. Sounds like a fun road run! By the time I hit Suikerbossie by bike in March, I'd have already done it by foot!  :P

So the last time I touched my bike was the 947 and even longer for my running shoes.

In the last 3 weeks I have been to 4 doctors and have finally found a diagnosis for what i have....... WHOOPING COUGH :thumbdown:

As its a viral infection the body has to burn the virus out itself. Have been given cortisone and antibiotics and told no training for the rest of the year. :cursing:

So my initial plan of using the Johnson Crane at the end of Jan as my qualifier has now been cancelled, i am hoping to at least be able to do the Half Marathon for the JC.

Hope everyone else's training and health is at least going better?

So the last time I touched my bike was the 947 and even longer for my running shoes.

In the last 3 weeks I have been to 4 doctors and have finally found a diagnosis for what i have....... WHOOPING COUGH :thumbdown:

As its a viral infection the body has to burn the virus out itself. Have been given cortisone and antibiotics and told no training for the rest of the year. :cursing:

So my initial plan of using the Johnson Crane at the end of Jan as my qualifier has now been cancelled, i am hoping to at least be able to do the Half Marathon for the JC.

Hope everyone else's training and health is at least going better?

plenty of qualifiers to choose from so dont stress, even the JC 21km might be a bad idea i think since you havnt been running for so long, rather take this time to make sure you recover well from your cough, and start slowly from january. maybe keep up the core and strength work till january.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be quite a few experienced runners here, I needs some advice please.  Is Two Oceans, Sani2C and Comrades possible in the same year? Anyone done it before?

Seems to be quite a few experienced runners here, I needs some advice please. Is Two Oceans, Sani2C and Comrades possible in the same year? Anyone done it before?

Yes.. But not sure you can be competitive in all three.. Most people I know that have done that have had a very chilled sani

I've been battling with injury for the last little while, been booked off hope this doesn't last [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107]

Same here.. Changed lacing technique which inflamed my tendons on the top of my foot and caused a mild case of plantar. Was off last week with flu and then because of this not run since last Tuesday. Think my body is telling me something. Foot feeling much better just tight in the morning. Going to get back on the horse on the 27th and start with a little 40km week the first week and then work mileage up from then.... Want at least 250km in for January. Got my qualifier on 14th feb and pmb marathon on the 22nd Edited by Stretch

Urgh, also struggling a bit with a calf. Seems to be my Achilles heel - pun slightly intended... Every time I change something, or load up more or do more uphills, it's always my left calf that warns me first. Darned sore and a bit of a beach to roll, but at least it's responding. 

Well, what did not help this time was that a tannie with a full trolley hit my heel in the mall (wearing sandals) with said trolley. 2 days later I run and had calf issues on the same leg - I am sure it's not soincidence, the heel was still quite sore so I presume a bit of compensation in the stride stuffed it up. Won't be out for too long, though. Next up - Bay 2 Bay! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello comrades runners... happi new year and may it be injury free

I'm looking for a nice flattish qualifying marathon route in SA, preferably not up in GP (at altitude)...any ideas or a link to all SA countrywide race calendar in SA? My wife is hoping to run this year and is struggling to find a nice qualifying marathon (fast route) here in EU that is early enough...February / March  

Thanks for your help and suggestions  :thumbup:

Hello comrades runners... happi new year and may it be injury free

I'm looking for a nice flattish qualifying marathon route in SA, preferably not up in GP (at altitude)...any ideas or a link to all SA countrywide race calendar in SA? My wife is hoping to run this year and is struggling to find a nice qualifying marathon (fast route) here in EU that is early enough...February / March  

Thanks for your help and suggestions  :thumbup:

Buffalo marathon in East London in February...she will get a batch higher than she normally does....its all downhill