ScottCM

I've had to pull the plug on my Comrades run this year... got sick on Sat at my 5yr olds birthday so missed my planned 32km on Sunday - another setback I just couldn't afford. Bummed, but also feel in a way, a little relieved. The stress of prepping has just been building and I was struggling to get in anything near decent mileage. I've done it on 500km's training before, but this was going to be way less... a wing and prayer pretty much.

Gonna keep going with the training though, just without the distraction of the long runs - will be nice to just enjoy 21's and work on ironing out all my issues in prepping for next year - this year just wasn't mean to be. I've got an entry as well as very nice accom for two 20minutes from the start - will offer them to my running club guys first, but if they are all sorted will put it on here.

Good luck with the journey ahead guys, will be following with interest

Not looking forward to that cockerels crow on 29 June on my couch, but learnt some harsh lessons this year and I will be way more on top of things for next year!

Sorry to hear that

BUT probably better to skip it and start planning for next years up run with me ????????

Start of planning for an earlier fast qualifier before year end, before u know it it will be Xmas and good to get the qualifier out of the way early

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that

BUT probably better to skip it and start planning for next years up run with me

Start of planning for an earlier fast qualifier before year end, before u know it it will be Xmas and good to get the qualifier out of the way early

Yeah, plan is to get the qualifier out the way this year already - for once be on track!

Since i withdrew i have decided to do exactly this. Try and get as fast as i can at HM's and enjoy them and then later i will worry about next years comrades.

Are you doing Birchwood this Sunday? Heard its flat so will be attempting to do my first ever sub 2. Slow by the Ferrat's gauge but a PB aim for me.

Nice thing is that the wife, kids and family members (9 of them) will all be doing the fun run 5km, while my sister (Who will be going for a PB and a podium) and i will to the HM.

Birchwood was the plan, but will probably just do a chilled run with the wife pending my health getting better. RAC long run this weekend, couldn't even contemplate a 60km, but it's great Comrades long game prep.  

its time to change my running shoes. i am using asics at the moment but i think its time to switch. new asics shoes are just under or above R2k. so i am thinking of nike running shoes? anyone using nike neutral for long distance running or other relatively cheaper brands?

Edited by Mokgaga

So, having started a new job, getting flu, aggravating a lower back muscle strain, I have decided to accept defeat and pull the plug on my 2016 effort. How do I go about having a substitution done for a more worthy participant?

its time to change my running shoes. i am using asics at the moment but i think its time to switch. new asics shoes are just under or above R2k. so i am thinking of nike running shoes? anyone using nike neutral for long distance running or other relatively cheaper brands?

where you buying? maybe its cheaper here in KZN... my GT2000's are still about 1500. Nike 5.0s are around 1200....but I would be wary of trying a new brand at this stage in the game...even a different model in the same brand

In Jan i bought my NB 1080V5 from The Sweat shop in Bedfordview for R1450

EDIT: Like stretch says, its not the wisest thing to change make or model this close to C-Day.

So, having started a new job, getting flu, aggravating a lower back muscle strain, I have decided to accept defeat and pull the plug on my 2016 effort. How do I go about having a substitution done for a more worthy participant?

http://www.comrades.com/component/content/article/20-frontpage/403-substitutions

Edited by ScottC-M

eish....is today the day of realisation. Hard luck...but...same as Andrew....get prepping for 2017

I am sure the substitution process is on the website. I would just contact your running club and see if someone wants, else post on the facebook page. There are many many people looking for a sub

On that note...Thanks very much Scott for the sub - a man of his word! Training is going well. Did a 54km long run here in CPT on the weekend....been doing lots of long stuff on the trails for some other races but the transition to road is hard on the body. So will have to keep the road mileage up! Managed about a 4h50 though...so that's good....

calf is still niggling..looks like April is going to be my lowest mileage month...but I have done over 1000km so I am not too concerned...just hoping to fit in a 50+ sometime in the next couple of weeks without aggravating the calf (as I have only done one marathon)...might just have to do some 30 30 double up's instead.

Yip - 44 days to go.

Doing Loskop this weekend with a 20 on Sunday and next week is the Magnolia run.

Im sitting on 900km for the year so far and its been constant so no injuries or illness so far - so very happy about that. Will be working on my pacing strategy form here on out - hoping to lock it down!

Its getting tight Lads - almost time to start watching the weather predictions!!!!!

Looks like the "next year" club is growing...   My entry is available for substitution - anyone interested, pls DM me.

Yip - 44 days to go.

Doing Loskop this weekend with a 20 on Sunday and next week is the Magnolia run.

Im sitting on 900km for the year so far and its been constant so no injuries or illness so far - so very happy about that. Will be working on my pacing strategy form here on out - hoping to lock it down!

Its getting tight Lads - almost time to start watching the weather predictions!!!!!

44 Days ... Crazy

We doing the 57.3km Route Tester Sunday from PMB to Hillcrest, could go one of 2 ways... scare the sh-t outta us or give us some proper confidence for Race day.

Then our Final marathon at Slowmag next weekend.

Forced to take 3 days off this week with a touch of man Flu but will hopefully get out there this evening for an easy 40mins and see where the chest is at.

Note quite weather predictions time, but the official route distance announcement should be out soon. It was about this time last year they threw the 1.2km detour through Pinetown at us... Holding thumbs for no Surprises and anything 89.9kms or less will be a bonus..

Note quite weather predictions time, but the official route distance announcement should be out soon. It was about this time last year they threw the 1.2km detour through Pinetown at us... Holding thumbs for no Surprises and anything 89.9kms or less will be a bonus..

apparently no detours this year