ScottCM

Who else is doing Kaapse Hoop? I am struggling to juggle cycling and running over weekends... I am running my first 21km this coming weekend after Comrades, furthest I have run is 15km. Feeling stressed about it.

Yep, I'm toying with the idea of Kaapsehoop as my final Marathon for the year.. Will be my last "fastish" marathon before Comrades 2017.. everything in the new year will just be run at Long Run pace..

Then I have Lesotho Ultra Trail 50km at the end of November... and then a good 4 weeks chill before the hard work starts again 1 January...

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I'm toying with the idea of Kaapsehoop as my final Marathon for the year.. Will be my last "fastish" marathon before Comrades 2017.. everything in the new year will just be run at Long Run pace..

Then I have Lesotho Ultra Trail 50km at the end of November... and then a good 4 weeks chill before the hard work starts again 1 January...

I agree. I want to run a good Kaapse Hoop. Take it easy over December, but the real training starts 1 Jan. I have fellow club mates that are already averaging 70 - 80 km a week now... For me it is too soon... When you get to January you are gatvol of running and tired. Any thoughts on that?

I agree. I want to run a good Kaapse Hoop. Take it easy over December, but the real training starts 1 Jan. I have fellow club mates that are already averaging 70 - 80 km a week now... For me it is too soon... When you get to January you are gatvol of running and tired. Any thoughts on that?

Agreed, you need to take care of your mental capacity and that is something many athletes really get wrong. You need to `want` to run in March/April - just slogging through will cost you in May.

I`ve always felt that one shouldn't `race` a marathon in March/April/May as the recovery afterwards eats into your quality prep time. Qualify in Nov/Dec if you can - take a little break to recover physically/mentally and then drive really focused from mid Jan onwards. 

I was also a bit fan of quality over quantity and went to the line as a novice with only about 1000km on the legs for the year - in hindsight, I think I would have been better off with 900km but more quality work.

Listen to your body rather than chasing miles - you need to stay mentally fresh to get the best out of your training.

Agreed, you need to take care of your mental capacity and that is something many athletes really get wrong. You need to `want` to run in March/April - just slogging through will cost you in May.

I`ve always felt that one shouldn't `race` a marathon in March/April/May as the recovery afterwards eats into your quality prep time. Qualify in Nov/Dec if you can - take a little break to recover physically/mentally and then drive really focused from mid Jan onwards.

I was also a bit fan of quality over quantity and went to the line as a novice with only about 1000km on the legs for the year - in hindsight, I think I would have been better off with 900km but more quality work.

Listen to your body rather than chasing miles - you need to stay mentally fresh to get the best out of your training.

I honestly don't know how you guys can put in so little training...

For me Personally I do 2 distinct blocks of Training each year.

1 January to Comrades - Ill be looking for about 2150kms again as it seemed to work for me this year

Then Take June off Completely - did 52km in total this year

Then 1 July - Mid September - this is my 11week block into a Fast qualifier Marathon, then I usually rest 2 weeks and then do another 5 weeks into Kaapse, and finish off November with some Trail running.

Take most of December for consolidation - 40-50kms weeks with 2 weeks off completely from around 11th - Xmas...

So to answer your question maybe some of those Club Mates doing the 70-80km weeks may be in there Higher mileage phase for their qualifying marathons in November..

I agree Completely with the fact Quality is as much or if not more Important than Quantity

But you do need to get in the Base Miles

IMHO

800 - 1100kms is perfect if you just want to finish Comrades, but on that Mileage the last 30kms will completely be a mental game

I think for a BR you need to look in the 1200 - 1400km Range, But again keep the Quality.

When you start talking Silver the Number needs to be Closer to the 1800-2200km Range as you need that endurance to be able to run a constant pace right through the 90kms and not be hanging on at any time..

The Faster your top end speed is at any time over a 8km TT , the faster your Long Run endurance pace will get...

Edit ---- Of Course there are many exceptions to all those Guidelines..

Edited by Ferret69

this is the first year I am doing a marathon before the year of comrades - so the first year I am doing a block of training t the end of they ear (i.e. now) I think it is going to be to my benefit. So for August till mid october I have been increasing mileage week on week (up to about 60km now..so nothing close to peak comrades training) BUT also doing some quality speed work. Will take a week off after the marathon and then continue just keeping fitness  till Jan..then start proper training.

I have done my third Comrades this year. 2014 I trained around 1200km from Jan to middle May. 2015 around 1300km for the same time. This year I had some health issues and struggled to train in Jan and Feb. I ended up at 1000km before Comrades, and on the day the 300km difference didn't make a difference, I still felt strong at the end. My dream is a BR.. which means I will have to up the mileage and concentrate on quality runs. 

This is also the first year I will doing a marathon before the year of Comrades. 

Edited by Hacc

My problem with doing a marathon before year end is that it means you are forced to train during the horrible gauteng winter months.

As i had already enter Soweto, i trained this year again as last during July early mornings by myself. It generally meant that i only got to run 3 days a week as i always had a perfectly justifiable excuse not to get out of bed the rest of the time.

I was hoping to skip next winter completely and train for a Jan Marathon like Johnson Crane. Now after reading posts from you experienced guys, guess i will just have to make peace with winter and get out of bed at least one extra day a week next year. 

My problem with doing a marathon before year end is that it means you are forced to train during the horrible gauteng winter months.

in july and most of August I rain in the afternoons and only really started morning runs in September. Also had to give the wife at least 2 or 3 months off from annoying early rising

This is the problem if u get into the routine of training early mornings which is typical for most South Africans.

Try train in the evenings, winter is not that bad when you have been up and about for the day

Since moving to Switz I hardly ever train before 9am, most times after work even in winter.

This is the problem if u get into the routine of training early mornings which is typical for most South Africans.

Try train in the evenings, winter is not that bad when you have been up and about for the day

Since moving to Switz I hardly ever train before 9am, most times after work even in winter.

I recon i will most likely do that one day too, but for now i get home 6pm, eat, bath and tuck three children into bed and then i am ka-put myself. Which only leaves early mornings, but then again, i suppose the northern hemisphere train in snowy months so i should just HTFU