ScottCM

Bloody hell are u Oakes newbies on the hub?

Vitimans and supplements are a marketing plot to make someone else rich!!!

Common sense eating and behavior combined with a simple multivit it is enough.

S'true

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaaa, but common sense is not all that common...  :ph34r: And some evenings it's a bit raap en skraap when it comes to food, esp veggies. From there some supplementation is common sensical.

I must admit, I haven't been ill (touch wood!) in a long time whilst I am surrounded by colds, flu's, sniffles and coughs in an air-conned to death building. 

Vit C (which I may be overdoing!), Betavit every now and then and only during hard blocks some zinc (ZMA sport they sell at the expo's). Further supplementation is in the form of coffee, red wine, beer and whiskey... 

I drink Bettaway 1000mg Vit C, Caltrate Plus (I don't eat dairy or drink milk), Centrum Multi Vitamin and Viral Choice every night. I am anemic so I drink iron supplements (Ferimed chewy) every morning. I started with a Slow Mag fizzy a day as well. If I get the time I go for a Neurobian shot once a week or every two weeks. This has been my regime since I started running in 2014. 

I do struggle with anemia... I sometimes take iron supplements half way during a long run.

So who is doing the Cape Town Marathon next week?

Are you using it as your qualifier?

What is your goal time?

How did your training and tapering go leading up to the race?

Anything else you would like to share?

Good luck and please post a race report.

What is your goal time?

seabee and ferret i think

ferret will be going for a sub 3..he may even have sub 2:50 aspirations....I await his report back

What is your goal time?

seabee and ferret i think

ferret will be going for a sub 3..he may even have sub 2:50 aspirations....I await his report back

Yep, ill be in CT next week..  and Yes should be able to submit it as my A qualifier for Oceans and Comrades if all Goes well..

I don't run any fast Marathons pre Comrades January to race day so I will do CT and Kaapse Hoop as my Sub3s and submit whichever is best.

Had a Decent last 11 weeks since coming back from Comrades rest and had delusions of grandeur of chasing 2h39, but have had a couple of niggles the last 2 weeks.

Ran 2h47 at CT last year and Speed wise I'm in better shape now, problem is I haven't run past 25kms since Comrades in a single run  (done a few 25km am and 5km Tempo pm Sundays) so the distance may catch up to me after 32kms..

But ill say I'm going for Sub2h45 and a PB (currently 2h46.50), closer to 2h40 if conditions are good and its goes completely to plan..  will go out at 3.50per km and take it from there..

So there, now I've said it, I have to commit to it...

Ran 2h47 at CT last year and Speed wise I'm in better shape now, problem is I haven't run past 25kms since Comrades in a single run  (done a few 25km am and 5km Tempo pm Sundays) so the distance may catch up to me after 32kms..

But ill say I'm going for Sub2h45 and a PB (currently 2h46.50), closer to 2h40 if conditions are good and its goes completely to plan..  will go out at 3.50per km and take it from there..

So there, now I've said it, I have to commit to it...

there we go..I first typed 2:45...and then changed it 2:50 because i could not remember what you got last year.

Pleased to see you have not done long runs in your build up to this marathon (makes me feel better). I have South coast Marathon in october and the longest runs i have done to date are 21km. I will likely get in a few 26k's before then and try put in at least one run of my 30km route.

Been doing 8km TT every thursday and I can already see the benefit of that is immense. This is the first year I am doing a TT as part of my training and really feeling confident about the positive effect it will have.

Edited by Stretch

Been doing 8km TT every thursday and I can already see the benefit of that is immense. This is the first year I am doing a TT as part of my training and really feeling confident about the positive effect it will have.

Speed is the Key to everything... Even right Up to Comrades I kept 2 speeds sessions a week .

This July I even Upped that to 3 Intensity sessions a week, with a Tuesday Track, Thursday TT and Saturday Parkrun.. I only dropped it back to the 2 in August to try and get my weekly mileage back up to deal with a marathon.

So many people think that to run Long and slow (Comrades) you need to train Long and slow.

The faster the top end pace gets over say a 8km TT , the easier, and faster the Endurance pace becomes...

Sub 3... hmmm... You'll be back home sleeping by the time I trundle in, Ferret! 

I am doing only my 2nd marathon next week. So still very new to all this and learning as I go along. Aiming for sun 4:15. I don't think I have the pace over distance to scrape in sub-4... which I think is pretty much 5:30's all the way. Don't think I can realistically do that for 42k's. Will start off slow and see what transpires. Don't want to start off at 5:30's and end up running out of steam completely and then not even making 4:15.

Planning on getting some last runs in this weekend, nothing too long or hard. Hilly 14 tomorrow and a flat 15 on road Sunday should do the trick. A leg stretcher Wed/Thurs and then it's play-time. Should be over 50 k's on new shoes, so they should have settled come the big day. Unfortunately haven't had an actual long run in them. Fake it till you make it... 

Between this and Winelands I should qualify for Oceans in something other than the last group. I hope... 

good luck seabee. Do you have a walking plan for your marathon? a useful tip is to walk the tables from about 15km onwards and run between them...gives you regular 30 second breathers every few km's. Cape town is a flat route - 4 hour marathon is totally doable for you (wind dependent)

good luck seabee. Do you have a walking plan for your marathon? a useful tip is to walk the tables from about 15km onwards and run between them...gives you regular 30 second breathers every few km's. Cape town is a flat route - 4 hour marathon is totally doable for you (wind dependent)

(wind dependent)

That's the problem with CT... its soo wind dependent,  guess we will only really know come 7am next Sunday

Ja, at last year's Winelands I did that walking thing. Works well enough for me just to change the rhythm and mentally take a break and regroup for the next 3k's.

I also tend to drink gels only half at a time whilst running. So pop it before a water point, then return it to the pocket (or bin the sachet, depending on which half it was) and grab some water and walk through on some of the stations. At the later tables I took coke and that forces me to walk. They need to add something strong to the coke for me not to spill it whilst running! 

My biggest worry is that I haven't been on the road as much as I have been in the build-up for Winelands. Much more trails... 

Damm Ferret, you're going to kick-Ass. I fully agree with him regarding speed work. What I'm doing is just getting a solid base from which I can start doing speed sessions. I've been away from running for a while so I lost that solid base I used to have... But will start in the next week or 2.

I will run the Kaapsehoop, but just going for a slow B-Seeding time. I mean, we will move up into A batch in any case before the gun goes off.

Only if everything goes according to plan.

Damm Ferret, you're going to kick-Ass. I fully agree with him regarding speed work. What I'm doing is just getting a solid base from which I can start doing speed sessions. I've been away from running for a while so I lost that solid base I used to have... But will start in the next week or 2.

I will run the Kaapsehoop, but just going for a slow B-Seeding time. I mean, we will move up into A batch in any case before the gun goes off.

Only if everything goes according to plan.

you want A batch for comrades? whats your marathon PB?